Suggest OOS Schools Please - TX Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ManlyMan246

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please help me pick some non-TMDSAS (and BCM) schools that I would have a shot at. I have a list going of a couple, but I know i need to apply broadly (GPA: 3.4-3.7, MCAT: 33-35)

Members don't see this ad.

i'm in similar boat, and got stuck making the list.

Google "LizzyM Spreadsheet" and pick the first xls file, it should help you with the decision.

Please help me pick some non-TMDSAS (and BCM) schools that I would have a shot at. I have a list going of a couple, but I know i need to apply broadly (GPA: 3.4-3.7, MCAT: 33-35)

Are you saying your cGPA is 3.4 and your science is 3.7?

Basically, there aren't many/any OOS MD schools that can be used to broaden a Texan's application. You can try places like Tulane, Wake, MCW, Creighton, Loma Linda, Albany...but it really makes the most sense to concentrate your efforts on Texas. If you are looking to add safety by applying OOS, considering DO is higher yield.

Members don't see this ad :)
No I didn't want to put specific numbers that may identify me. My numbers are in those ranges. So, did you all not do AMCAS at all?! That scares me.

No I didn't want to put specific numbers that may identify me. My numbers are in those ranges. So, did you all not do AMCAS at all?! That scares me.

I think what he's saying is that there aren't many schools that are as friendly to IS residents as Texas medical schools are.

I'll do AMCAS after TMDSAS. Even if other schools are not as friendly as texas schools, apply wide would never hurt.

I'm not sure DO school are good safeties, my thinking is when you apply, school have to consider the chance of you actually enrolling. Your stat seems to be on the high end for DO schools, they may not be good safety schools if they think you are not gonna attend.

@WhatYouSay - I know that, but I feel like I should also apply OOS

@WhatYouSay - I know that, but I feel like I should also apply OOS

With a decent GPA and great MCAT I wouldn't worry about applying OOS. As long as you can interview well you will get at least 1 acceptance to a Texas med school. They treat their ISers right and your low tuition can't be beat.

I think you should narrow the GPA you're giving us to give a better picture. There's a big diff between a 3.4 and 3.7. Huge difference. I understand wanting to stay anonymous, but narrowing to a tenth of a point wouldn't be particularly identifying, IMO.

It is normal for a Texas resident to feel like you have to apply OOS. It's hard to say with the vague GPA you've listed.

I had to fill out the AMCAS anyways for Baylor, and then I (stupidly) added a few OOS schools. Those schools were Wake, Vanderbilt, Emory, Mayo, and Alabama-Birmingham. I ended up being rejected by Vandy and Mayo, and didn't do secondaries for the others because I had gotten several TX interviews.