Jul 24, 2009
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Am finishing school soon and I will have my AL results by 2010 January.

I prefer to do my higher studies abroad both for the experience & quality. I'm looking for medical school suggestions to do a 5 year MBBS or 6 year MD(Similar to British system) after I finish school.

Medium: English.

Should be an outstanding research center recognized by NHS, GMC-UK, WHO and should have special interest and performance in Immunology/Immunopathology/Epidemiology/Infectious Diseases.

Cost of education is important factor.

:love:I like to be in a small faculty in a small island or rural/suburban setting in Eastern Europe or America(North and South) or Nordic Countries or Russia or India. You can suggest a college out of these as well. Preferably in an odd and lonely place(I like to be different :p)

:love:Again, I'd like to emphasize the fact am interested in Medical Research & so I'd prefer some university which offers a MD/BSc 6 year combined degree.:love:

Hope the post wasn't too long :p

Thanks in advance! :)

Please help!

Jun 1, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
This might not be too useful and unfortunately, I can't help with any names. However, there are not that many MD/BSc 6-year programs in the US. There must be a list somewhere - I believe one of my friends went to one in St. Louis.

Here in the US, you often do a research project at the end of your university days. However, this requirement might be waived in MD/BSc. This is because the 6-year program is really a fast-track two year BSc and 4-year medical school degree.

If you want Medical Research, it would be advisable to apply for an MD/Ph.D., which is extremely competitive. Also, you would need to have a BSc before you can apply for that. The other route is to just finish a residency program and then do a clinical research fellowship. I knew of one person who did that because she had made up her mind early on that she was not going to do real-world medical practice.

OP
T
Jul 24, 2009
Status
I knew of one person who did that because she had made up her mind early on that she was not going to do real-world medical practice.
Now, that's me!

I'm also into research.

The problem of going through premed is the bottleneck I will encounter. Once you do premed in US, you are automatically disqualified to hundreds of universities. And, not many US colleges accept foreigners for Medicine. That's a lot of risk for me. That's why I prefer the BSc/MBBS(or BSc/MD) which means the only competitive bottle neck is the entry into program which is not as competitive as MCAT.

This is very common in UK but UK is a bit expensive for me(unless you can suggest a cheap place), so I'm looking for elsewhere. But, as I said I prefer a combined degree but it doesn't mean I won't do a standalone MBBS or MD. But, I like to do it somewhere where I get to play in the lab contrasting to the book, clinic study medical programs.

Thanks anyway.

I'd like to go through that list you mentioned btw.

Jun 1, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
Here is a link to a site that lists combined degree programs in the US: http://services.aamc.org/currdir/section3/degree2.cfm?data=yes&program=bsmd

In addition, this other website describes some of these combined degree programs:
http://www.medicalhelpnet.com/content/view/28/46/

I'm unclear how declaring that you are premed will automatically disqualify you from many universities. Also, you do not have to be pre-med or even be in a science major to get into medical school. I had 2-3 dance/music majors in my class. Many colleges accept foreigners, but there are only a few spots in each of these schools, so it is competitive, as it is for natives.

Furthermore, if you really don't think you want to do practice, why not just get a Ph.D.? Most researchers have only a Ph.D. and it makes you even more competitive for research jobs. Pure Ph.D. programs may not be as competitive, unless you go for the most prestigious schools, because there are fewer applicants.

I did research before I went to medical school and my boss had done his best to encourage me to get a Ph.D., but I turned it down. I sometimes regret that decision because at times I wish I could return to medical research and most positions require Ph.Ds or MD/PhD.

OP
T
Jul 24, 2009
Status
Thanks for getting back USMD.

I was waiting to hear back from you.

Yes, a premed can disqualify you from doing medicine in many universities. In most Asian universities, if you have a Bachelors, you are disqualified for Medicine. Further, a US premed is mostly recognized in USA only although the policies may say that it's recognized in UK, Australia and etc.. Most countries prefer a premed/degree from their own country. Further, only very few countries follow premed. It's really really competitive!

As you know, when you go through the US scheme, you have to be highly competitive at two places. Once at university entrance and then with MCAT. With a MD/BSc, the competition is only for the MD entrance and then PhD and all, not much competitive.

Anyway, still, I said, a MD/BSc would be good but it's not a must.

I need a decent Medical degree for a reasonable cost.

And, a PhD seems a good idea to me as well. But, having a MD/PhD gives you career and financial security! A researcher may lack funds but a doctor will never run out of patients!

Thanks a lot anyway :)

OP
T
Jul 24, 2009
Status
I feel hopeless. :(

I at last found the list of degrees recognized by the local medical council. Here it is, http://www.slmedc.lk/outside.htm.

If you see, they have listed only, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine,

University of Cincinnati College of Medicine and

Tufts University School of Medicine

What can I do now?

Jun 1, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
Maybe, you should clarify where you're currently going to school and what local medical council you are referring to. I cannot understand why that listed is so restricted.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
I feel hopeless. :(

I at last found the list of degrees recognized by the local medical council. Here it is, http://www.slmedc.lk/outside.htm.

If you see, they have listed only, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine,

University of Cincinnati College of Medicine and

Tufts University School of Medicine

What can I do now?
Yeah, there's something wrong with that list.

They accept St. Georges or the University of Papua New Guinea but not Harvard, Johns Hopkins, UCLA, etc.? Sounds fishy to me.

OP
T
Jul 24, 2009
Status
winged scapula:
Yes but that's the official website of my local medical council.

usmd:
This is Sri Lanka Medical Council. I'm a native. Although I'm interested in moving abroad, since this where I belong to, I'd like to have some security. I mean if I can't come back home and get a job for my qualification whenever I want, there isn't a point right?

Oh and btw I finished schooling(Srilankan AL) and waiting for results and the exams was what kept me busy over the last few weeks. Sorry for teh delayed response!

Thanks you all.

I wish someone would just make a miraculous suggestion for me :D

It's getting the toll on me.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
I would call the medical council and clarify what the process is for getting a degree approved and whether the list is updated.

As I said it doesn't make sense to approve some middle tier schools in the US but not our most revered schools of medicine. There must be a reason why. OFFICIAL lists are not always accurate nor do they tell the whole story. Maybe they've never had anyone from any other school apply, so its done on a case by case basis.

OP
T
Jul 24, 2009
Status
wingedscapula:

They have listed the approval procedure in the same site. They have stated that to get a degree approved, the dean of the institution has to apply to the council and if the council chooses to do so, the university will have to provide travel, accommodation and etc to the council members to come and inspect the university in person. I wonder if any university would care to do that!

I have the same doubt. Anyone smart enough to get a Harvard Degree will sure be smart enough not to come for work in Sri lanka ! :D

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
wingedscapula:

They have listed the approval procedure in the same site. They have stated that to get a degree approved, the dean of the institution has to apply to the council and if the council chooses to do so, the university will have to provide travel, accommodation and etc to the council members to come and inspect the university in person. I wonder if any university would care to do that!

I have the same doubt. Anyone smart enough to get a Harvard Degree will sure be smart enough not to come for work in Sri lanka ! :D
Ahhh...as I thought. So the only schools approved are those that provide a free trip to the US for the council.:rolleyes: