Suggested books for 2nd MBBS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zeldajae

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could anyone tell me the suggested books for 2nd MBBS?

I have read the list of books that AIMS recommends, but that is dated 2003.

What are the books that are highly recommended for high marks in 2nd MBBS?

The courses are:

Pathology
Pharmacology
Forensic Medicine
Preventative Medicine
Microbiology

Members don't see this ad.

For pathology I used and recommend you ROBBIN's text book of pathology
Pharmacology my favorite is SATOSKAR.. Many students prefere other authors but i studied satoskar. Microbiology i used baveja text books of microbiology and parasitology. And forensic i studied from narayan reddy.
Go to the book shop and ask him to show you the books and please buy the ones that you find good and comfortable to read, understand and remember. But patho bible is robbins..
Hope that helps you

Members don't see this ad :)
Could anyone tell me the suggested books for 2nd MBBS?

I have read the list of books that AIMS recommends, but that is dated 2003.

What are the books that are highly recommended for high marks in 2nd MBBS?

The courses are:

Pathology
Pharmacology
Forensic Medicine
Preventative Medicine
Microbiology

Second year is a very vital year for forming a strong basis for clinical sciences.

For pathology:
Robbin's Pathologic Basis of Disease is absolutely indispensable.
If you can then please get the Pathoma videos. Dr Sattar is amazing.
He will really TEACH you pathology. I literally mugged up the whole of MCI syllabus from Robbin's. I could visualize pages of the text during the exams. But still Dr Sattar had new things to teach me. I would give this combo a five stars. If you can do Goljan Rapid Review with it, it would be just amazing.

Pharmacology: I had studied Tripathi. But in the long run it didn't really help me during clinicals. I don't know if it's because the book is very poorly written (probably) or if it was the way I studied it.
If I could go back, I would probably study, Kaplan Pharmacology (the review books for USMLE) along with Tripathi (or any other good text book that you like reading)
Kaplan really gives you the important practical stuff that you need to know for practice of medicine. Reading a large text book like Tripathi, it's very easy to get lost and not be able to differentiate the important from the useless stuff.

Microbiology: Paniker is supposed to be really good. I regret not reading it. Along with that I would again suggest Kaplan Microbiology. If you find microbio difficult, you may want to check out Microbiology made ridiculously simple. I never liked it though.

Preventive: I thought Park was a really good text book.

Forensic: IDK, I never really read it much. Do whatever is popular in your college.

If you are planning for Indian PG. It would be best to study the relevant MCQs along with your second year prep. If you are planning for USMLE then you probably know the drill.

I hope that was helpful. Let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck. :)

Pathology- Robbins
Pharmacology- Lawrence and Bennette
Forensic Medicine
Preventative Medicine
Microbiology- Lecture notes in Micrio

Second year is a very vital year for forming a strong basis for clinical sciences.

For pathology:
Robbin's Pathologic Basis of Disease is absolutely indispensable.
If you can then please get the Pathoma videos. Dr Sattar is amazing.
He will really TEACH you pathology. I literally mugged up the whole of MCI syllabus from Robbin's. I could visualize pages of the text during the exams. But still Dr Sattar had new things to teach me. I would give this combo a five stars. If you can do Goljan Rapid Review with it, it would be just amazing.

Pharmacology: I had studied Tripathi. But in the long run it didn't really help me during clinicals. I don't know if it's because the book is very poorly written (probably) or if it was the way I studied it.
If I could go back, I would probably study, Kaplan Pharmacology (the review books for USMLE) along with Tripathi (or any other good text book that you like reading)
Kaplan really gives you the important practical stuff that you need to know for practice of medicine. Reading a large text book like Tripathi, it's very easy to get lost and not be able to differentiate the important from the useless stuff.

Microbiology: Paniker is supposed to be really good. I regret not reading it. Along with that I would again suggest Kaplan Microbiology. If you find microbio difficult, you may want to check out Microbiology made ridiculously simple. I never liked it though.

Preventive: I thought Park was a really good text book.

Forensic: IDK, I never really read it much. Do whatever is popular in your college.

If you are planning for Indian PG. It would be best to study the relevant MCQs along with your second year prep. If you are planning for USMLE then you probably know the drill.

I hope that was helpful. Let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck. :)

Thank man! You really helped me out on this one! I really have to hand it to you on this one, Pathoma videos is like Robbins on steroids. Lol. Currently, I am watching Pathoma, along with Gojlan and Kaplan Patho. Its a great combo!

IDK, but for Pharmac, I am currently reading Katzung, but everyone is saying its way to big of a book for written exams, so I am thinking of switching into KDT, along with Lipincott, and Kaplan.

Thank man for the help! :)

Thank man! You really helped me out on this one! I really have to hand it to you on this one, Pathoma videos is like Robbins on steroids. Lol. Currently, I am watching Pathoma, along with Gojlan and Kaplan Patho. Its a great combo!

IDK, but for Pharmac, I am currently reading Katzung, but everyone is saying its way to big of a book for written exams, so I am thinking of switching into KDT, along with Lipincott, and Kaplan.

Thank man for the help! :)

You're most welcome :)