Suggested classes before PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pontifex Maximus

Rads-a-palooza
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone throw up a rough list of courses one should take before taking the PCAT? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest taking as many biology and chemistry courses as you can. Taking solely the intro classes will not completely prepare you for the PCAT. My version seemed to focus more on inorganic chemistry and its calculations, though there was some organic too. I've heard that you should have your anatomy and one semester of organic completed, but that may be different for each individual. Take some practice tests and find where YOU specifically need the practice.

I would complete both semesters of general chemistry. I only had 1/2 of a semester of organic when I took it and I did fine. It was mainly gen chem on the test.

For biology, there was some ecology, genetics, general biology and anatomy.
I took vertebrate zoology which was good enough for the anatomy parts. Other than that, just one year of general biology should be sufficient.

The math is basic, the verbal analogies were stupidly easy and the reading comprehension was pretty easy, too. There's no classes to take for those. If your vocabulary is weak, try doing crossword puzzles.

Members don't see this ad :)
All you really need is General Biology 1 & 2 and General Chemistry 1 & 2. English 1 and 2 would be helpful. I recall the test I took (10/02) having lots of cellular biology and very little anatomy. The chemistry section covered a little bit of everything.

The verbal, reading, and math sections aren't something you can really prepare for as far as studying goes (i.e. a 10th grader could do the Math section, it's more or less measures speed and cognitive ability more than knowledge.) The only way to improve on these section is to take practice tests over and over.

To take the PCAT in October I will only have had 1/2 a semester in Bio I, A&P I and OChem I. I will have finished my chem I & II. Any resource suggestions to help with my lack of biology and anatomy?

Originally posted by jemc2000
To take the PCAT in October I will only have had 1/2 a semester in Bio I, A&P I and OChem I. I will have finished my chem I & II. Any resource suggestions to help with my lack of biology and anatomy?

I would suggest getting EK's Audio Osmosis. I did well on the MCAT just listening to Jordan and Jon talk science. I would also suggest getting Kaplan's Big MCAT Book. That might help too. :clap: :clap:

Would it be a better choice to be done with Chem II and 1/2 way through Biology II or the other way around?

Finish Chem II. You can get the biology from a study guide. With chemistry, you have to work out problems. It's not memorization.

Ok, By the time i'm taking the PCAT next october. I would be finished with 1 year of chem, 1 semester of bio, 1 sem of A&P. and probably half a semester of organic. Would that be enough for the test? Will pharmacy schools let you take the test again in january if you did bad on the october test? or is it too late then.

I took the PCAT in March after 6 weeks of first semester chem, 6 weeks of first semester Bio, calculus 10 years prior, and A&P 10 years prior, as well as a year of organic chemistry in high school 11 years prior and did very well. This test is is about test taking ability. Yes, you need the first two semesters of chem and bio to be fully ready, but as someone already said, much of the information can be obtained from a study guide. I suggest going back to refresh your math skills- you know- fractions kind of skills. I did not really study for the exam - I thought I was taking it to find out what the test was like. I walked out thinking that I did poorly, but when I got my score back I was surprised. Most of my friends have been surprised at how easy the test is too.