suggested pre-med courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ramitheduck

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a freshman at a CC and I'm planning to transfer to UC berkeley in a few years.

I know what med schools require for admission, ( 1 year, biochem, chem, bio,phys, eng and math). I am planning on majoring in something besides a "core" science ( I'm thinking psych) and I was wondering if just taking the required science courses will be enough to adequately prepare me for the MCATS, or do I need additional upper division sciences to avoid having to do an extraordinary amount of study for the MCATS?

Also, for the year of college math, do I need to take a full year of calc? or would statistics and calc 1 be enough? ( I do need some calc, right)

Alright, I know I asked several questions there, but if you guys could tell me as much as you know, that would be fantastic:love:!

Members don't see this ad.

1 year General Chemistry (Lab and Lecture)
1 year Organic Chemistry (Lab and Lecture)
1 year Physics (Lab and Lecture)
1 year Biology (Lab and Lecture)
1 year English (Composition and/or Literature)
1 year Calculus
1 semester Statistics
Several Humanities courses
Recommended Biochemistry and Genetics

Some of these requirements vary per school, but for the most part, if you take what I listed, then you're set anywhere.

Also, for the MCAT, the prerequisite sciences are all you need in order to prepare for it (and they must be taken prior to the MCAT). Upper level classes are not required to prepare, but really, they can't hurt you to take them before hand.

I am currently a freshman at a CC and I'm planning to transfer to UC berkeley in a few years.

I know what med schools require for admission, ( 1 year, biochem, chem, bio,phys, eng and math). I am planning on majoring in something besides a "core" science ( I'm thinking psych) and I was wondering if just taking the required science courses will be enough to adequately prepare me for the MCATS, or do I need additional upper division sciences to avoid having to do an extraordinary amount of study for the MCATS?

Also, for the year of college math, do I need to take a full year of calc? or would statistics and calc 1 be enough? ( I do need some calc, right)

Alright, I know I asked several questions there, but if you guys could tell me as much as you know, that would be fantastic:love:!

Biochem isn't required by most schools but it is handy to have. I also would suggest Genetics, Cell Bio, and Maybe a physiology class if you can smush it in. Elementary or general physical chemistry is a nice gen chem review of conceptual stuff, but I think that you are better off just reviewing the stuff on your own rather than subjecting yourself to that class.

One calc one stats should be enough. There are three medical schools (supposedly) that require a full year of calc. They might have exceptions available, but it really wouldn't be too hard to take calc 2 in the summer before medical school if you ended up getting in and really wanted to go there.

Members don't see this ad :)
One calc one stats should be enough. There are three medical schools (supposedly) that require a full year of calc. They might have exceptions available, but it really wouldn't be too hard to take calc 2 in the summer before medical school if you ended up getting in and really wanted to go there.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that is kinda what I figured, I saw that the three med schools that do require a full year are quite prestigious so I can't plan on going to any of them.

May I ask exactly why you suggest the genetics etc?

If you know that you are going to transfer to a 4-year university, then don't take pre-med prerequisite coursework at a community college. Take general education requirements like math, english, language, humanities and physical education but leave the science courses for the university especially if you plan to major in science.

1 year General Chemistry (Lab and Lecture)
1 year Organic Chemistry (Lab and Lecture)
1 year Physics (Lab and Lecture)
1 year Biology (Lab and Lecture)
1 year English (Composition and/or Literature)
1 year Calculus
1 semester Statistics
Several Humanities courses
Recommended Biochemistry and Genetics

Some of these requirements vary per school, but for the most part, if you take what I listed, then you're set anywhere.

Also, for the MCAT, the prerequisite sciences are all you need in order to prepare for it (and they must be taken prior to the MCAT). Upper level classes are not required to prepare, but really, they can't hurt you to take them before hand.

why the humanities, biochem, genetics course? isn't the mcat all general bio, general chem, general physics?

why the humanities, biochem, genetics course? isn't the mcat all general bio, general chem, general physics?

Don't many med schools require/recommend O chem?