Suggestion for new forum: Legal Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

group_theory

EX-TER-MIN-ATE!'
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I never thought I would ever make a post asking for a new forum ... but I thought this would be a good idea (since we have a forum for Technology)

Why not have a forum for Legal Medicine. There, you can post stories of justified (and unjustified) malpractice cases, discuss current medical legal issues, etc. The forum can also be a great place to add suggestions on how to document stuff to CYA

For example: suppose you want to prescribe Drug X (because it is more effective, or less side effects, or less possible drug interactions), but patient's HMO will not pay for Drug X (you know this in advance before writing the Rx). So you prescribe Drug Y because it is covered. Now how do you document this on the chart in such a way that a med mal lawyer will not try to sue you for not prescribing Drug X?

I have seen some great suggestions on how to document, but they are scattered in various posts in various forums. I think having one forum for legal issues (and CYA advice) will be helpful. I think having this forum will benefit physicians (at all stage of training/practice) as well as medical students as they embark on the murky water of legal healthcare.

Anyway, I'm posting here to get your opinion on this idea before I bring it up with Lee. Good idea? Bad idea?

Group_theory

Members don't see this ad.

Perhaps make it a subset of another forum? Say this one.....

i think it would be great

group_theory said:
I never thought I would ever make a post asking for a new forum ... but I thought this would be a good idea (since we have a forum for Technology)

Wouldn't such a forum be open for attorneys to read thus give them more to feed on?

Insofar as the best hope to limit your person suit risk is to establish rapport and maintain the best doctor-physician relationship possible, I don't know that sharing hints serves a pupose. Don't the majority of payouts result from bad outcomes (ie BS suits) and not bad documenting etc? No amount of chatter can prevent bad outcomes...

I agree that establishing good rapport w/ your patients is a very good and effective way of avoiding lawsuits. But as you know, everyone is different, and some people are just lawsuit happy, no manner how charming or good your bedside manners are.

The reason why I think discussing documentation tips/advice is that it helps save time and potential headache. I was always told that "if you don't document it, then it didn't happen." You may have discussed to the patient the possible side effects of drug X, but if you don't document it, then it never happened (or more, it's your word against the patient if the patient claims you never informed her of the side effect).

Good documentation might prevent a lawsuit. The patient might want to sue, but when their lawyer (and their "expert") goes over the charts ... good documentation might make the difference between a lawsuit being filed (and thus time off for deposition, meetings with attorneys, psychological stress, potential for medmal insurance increase or drop coverage, etc) and the lawyer deciding not to pursue the case.

Is a forum dedicated to this really needed? Probably not. A subforum is a good idea. Since med mal (and tort reform) is a major issue for us, a subforum dedicated to this issue would be useful. It can deal w/ hints on how to CYA, med malpractice issues, tort reform (or lack thereof), stories of medmal lawyer being sued for malpractice, HIPAA requirements/violations (even though it is more regulatory than legal), etc.

Now the question that I'm wondering: Is there a need for a seperate forum or subforum? Those issues I mentioned above can be found in the residency forums. Hmmm ... ok, gotta rethink this proposal.

What do you guys/gals think? Is it needed? (and is it a good idea)?

what's the harm in having another forum?

Good idea.

And for all those concerned that you will be giving plaintiffs inside info, don't worry. Those guys know most of that stuff already and could not submit one of these posts as evidence anyway :) .

Plus, in every med mal case there is also a defense attorney and the chances that any attorney would spend time on this forum are pretty low unless they are also med students/residents/physicians.

It would be nice to have a legal medicine forum where you could put all the aspects of such a topic. In addition to staving off lawsuits, the forum could also hold discussions on MD/JD programs, law school after medical school, etc. Especially since there is no MD/JD forum.

-X