Suggestion for *NEW* forums that will benefit many of us.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exilio

Jocular Junior
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well after reading many posts in here and from the lounge, I was thinking it would be great if there were some new forums added to SDN.

Main Forum:
*Academics

Sub-forums:
*Biology
*Chemistry
*Math
*Physics
*English
*Misc. (history, art, music, underwater basket-weaving etc.)

Many people have questions all the time. And since many of us are working towards the same goal, thus taking similar classes, SDN is a great place to do this.

We can ask questions, help each other out..all the things we are already doing but in an area setup specifically for it.

What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

50+ views and no opinions?

I find that hard to believe from future doctors.

Even a nay is fine..I am just trying to gauge how other people feel.

So..yay, or nay. ;)

i think it's a really good idea. people ask questions about specific classes a lot.

-laura

Members don't see this ad :)
I also think its a good idea, but I have a feeling that some of those sub-groups might not be used at all (i'm yet to see a thread talking about math.......but I may be wrong!). Kudos on the idea man :thumbup:

So...we have some opinions. Great!

Yeah the Math might not get asked, but I thought it appropriate simply because it is one of the pre-reqs some med schools look for as well as the must haves like Physics, Bio and Chem.

ItsGavinC,

I see your point. However, SDN has become an invaluable resource for many PRE-med students. Even this thread itself is not for Med Students but for Pre-med students.

SDN is really all about the sharing of information in ALL aspects of applying to Medical School...and I think adding some forums that dealt with academics would fit nicely and supplement the already fantastic content on SDN. ;)

yeah it takes away from the focus of the student doctor aspect of this site.

its cool to help out a few people with some random ochem or etc.. problems but to turn it into a homework help site would be a totally different thing. this might be a good idea for an entirely new forum.

plus it would slow up sdn even more.

i like sdn the way it is haha ;).

Originally posted by jlee9531
yeah it takes away from the focus of the student doctor aspect of this site.

its cool to help out a few people with some random ochem or etc.. problems but to turn it into a homework help site would be a totally different thing. this might be a good idea for an entirely new forum.

plus it would slow up sdn even more.

i like sdn the way it is haha ;).

I guess I don't really follow your logic? Why would you care if someone came here to look for help with some problems in class?

If you don't want to read about it, don't go into that forum.

It's not as if people are going to come to this site generically. People come here with a purpose. If anything it will help drive traffic to the site, whereby increasng revenue through ads served.

And again, I don't see how it "takes away from the focus of the student doctor aspect of the site." It only serves to make this an even more of an invaluable resource for the aspiring student doctor.

Like it or not, this sites original intention may have been to serve those already in medical school, but it has evolved into something far bigger and useful for pre-meds. ;)

I think an Academics forum is an excellent idea. Some of us would finally see some measurable results from helping people. Saying "good luck" or "I hope everything turns out well" can only go so far.
I think the majority of us are on this network to support our peers and potential colleagues.

Perhaps a Professional Physician forum would benefit residents interested in establishing or joining a practice/ hospital.

Eh...too many subjects. It seems too specific to me. We already get cross-posting when people ask MCAT questions in the wrong forums, so this would just add to it. People who wanted to ask a question about their schedules would probably combust trying to find the right forum. :)

What I would like to see is a premed forum. Right now we have pre allo and pre osteo, but a lot of issues that come up pertain to both. Basically a lot of the preparatory questions can go into the premed forum, then the preallo and preosteo could deal with specifics, acceptance threads, school stats, etc. Just a thought.

~AS1~

I personally like hearing about all of those subjects on this pre-allo forum. I don't think I would go to all of those specific subject forums if they were separated. By combining all of them, people asking questions will more likely get answers from a broader base of people. I often don't know I am interested in a particular thread until I start reading it.

Well I hope this doesn't turn into a "homework" site

An "Academic" forum can be opened but it doesn't need to broken down into subjects. It can be next to the "mcat discussion" forum.

I think the focus of this site should be kept as a "student doctor" site.

You could just make a thread like this for ?Math, Chem, Bio, Physics?..? and have people post questions in it. I don?t think you need a forum for it. Look at the ?Antenna? thread, it?s got what 30K + posts in it.

Example: "This thread is for specific questions relating to Organic Chemistry"

Members don't see this ad :)
Those are some great ideas too.

Anything new would be nice. Just so there is a specific area people could look for help.

Perhaps all the categories would not be necessary and one would suffice. I think the SDN crew should give it a try. ;)

I agree just make it one forum for homework period

I think Academic forums are a great idea. The premed forums are cluttered with a huge amount of posts consisting of a mishmash of application and academic questions. It wouldn't increase traffic, it would just make things easier.

Originally posted by Cozmosis
I think Academic forums are a great idea. The premed forums are cluttered with a huge amount of posts consisting of a mishmash of application and academic questions. It wouldn't increase traffic, it would just make things easier.

Exactly my point...only more succinct. ;)

But what about visibility? How many people are actually going to be browsing the "academic" section on a regular basis? I wouldnt.

Whereas here, I've posted on or two problems and everyone that's in the premed forum can see it and decide to give a swing at it.

But were we to have an Academic's forum people wont go there unless they have a question and a lot of problems would go unanswered.

Other than that aspect I'm not against it.

I think this is a great idea. Although this site is titled "Student Doctor", the development of physicians and health care providers is life-long. The grooming of students to be future physicians, nurses, scientists, etc... start in college.

Originally posted by neil7818
But what about visibility? How many people are actually going to be browsing the "academic" section on a regular basis? I wouldnt.

Whereas here, I've posted on or two problems and everyone that's in the premed forum can see it and decide to give a swing at it.

But were we to have an Academic's forum people wont go there unless they have a question and a lot of problems would go unanswered.

Other than that aspect I'm not against it.

Shouldn't be a problem. I know I'd go there all the time to post problems, or help where I can. I think it would be great :)

I think thats a great idea. I have seen several posts about Chem and Physics on this forum and I'm sure that there are lots of members that have had a question at one time or another that could have fit into one or more of those catagories, but they were afraid to post it here because some of our less restrained members would flame their pants off.

I've got an idea or two, although they are a bit premature for my situation,given that I havent even applied yet--

How about a forum for Academic vs Private residencies? And how about a forum for the various post graduate fellowships that are available?

Just a couple of thoughts...

So it seems we have plenty of interest..now who do we talk to about making it happen? ;)

Originally posted by exilio
So it seems we have plenty of interest..now who do we talk to about making it happen? ;)

God a.k.a. Lee (Lee A Burnett) :cool: