Suggestions/Chances Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mbio2015

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Major: Bio, with genetics concentration. Started out at one of the “New Ivies” and transferred to State School since it was cheaper.
GPA: c3.63, s3.57
MCAT: 28, 26 in 2014 (took them while in school, doing research, and working) and 518 in 2017 (took time off to focus on studying).
Ethnicity: Black male

EC:
-Paid clinical: One year/2600+ hours working in a primary care clinic for the under-served. Also 400+ working in an ER as patient transfer and valet.

-Volunteer clinical: 133 hours spread over a couple years in a local ER, in patient transfer, and a cool opportunity where a group and I went to nursing homes to see if music helped with the memory of dementia patients.

-Shadowing: 10 hours with internist and other 10 with primary care…yes it’s pathetic but figured I was starting my clinical job soon and thought that would make up for it haha.

-Non-clinical: 50-60 hours volunteering spread over a few years with Habitat for Humanity, Ronald McDonald House, and a local homeless shelter.

-Other volunteering: I’m not sure how to classify this but 90+ volunteering with a local religious group to do their sound at weekly gatherings and various functions. They also had summer activities for the community kids where I helped them with games, and also helped with yard work/renovations at their meeting area. Not sure if this is community service.

-Research: Two years of undergrad research at a local medical school; no pubs but had a few PowerPoint presentations. Also currently applying to research technician jobs at various medical schools, so hopefully I get one of those in time for my application.

-Radio club (one year of leadership): Year and a half providing commentary on the University’s sports games, while hosting my own radio show. Also was a DJ for a bit.

-Religious organization (three years of leadership): Four years involved with a college religious organization holding various functions (many times with other religious organizations or the SSA), and community service events.

-Genetics club (one year of leadership): Involved for two years, president for one year.

-Other jobs: Spent years in various customer service jobs (test proctor, hotel room attendant, delivery guy, etc.).

I am looking for advice on forming a school list. I applied a couple years ago and got interviews at SLU and NYMC, but was rejected (an adviser told me I needed to get my MCAT score up). I plan on re-applying to both and also have my eyes set on Loyola, but looking to and 7-12 more schools. I’m not sure where I’d be competitive because my latest MCAT is good, but worried the scores from 2014 and my GPA may get in the way; otherwise I’d love to try a place like Mt. Sinai. Thoughts?

Thanks for advise!

Members don't see this ad.

Where is your state of residence? Apply to all your state public schools and consider these:
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Mount Sinai
Einstein
NYMC
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St.Louis
Tulane
You should receive several interviews from these schools with your much improved MCAT. You could even try Columbia, Cornell and NYU if NYC interests you.

Where is your state of residence? Apply to all your state public schools and consider these:
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Mount Sinai
Einstein
NYMC
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St.Louis
Tulane
You should receive several interviews from these schools with your much improved MCAT. You could even try Columbia, Cornell and NYU if NYC interests you.

Thank you for the reply!! I'm Indiana, but don't really have a preference for a region. So add a bunch of those schools from your list (maybe add Umich or USC?) and a few places like Sinai, Columbia or even JHU as my reach schools?

Thoughts @Goro ? Sorry to bother you, but would also really love your input.

Thanks for the reply Faha!! I'm Indiana, but don't really have a preference for a region. So add a bunch of those schools from your list (maybe add Umich or USC?) and a few places like Sinai, Columbia or even JHU as my reach/shoot for the stars schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
You're golden. Add any school you want to the list. Start with Harvard

Thank you for the reply!! I'm Indiana, but don't really have a preference for a region. So add a bunch of those schools from your list (maybe add Umich or USC?) and a few places like Sinai, Columbia or even JHU as my reach schools?

Thoughts @Goro ? Sorry to bother you, but would also really love your input.

Thanks for the reply Faha!! I'm Indiana, but don't really have a preference for a region. So add a bunch of those schools from your list (maybe add Umich or USC?) and a few places like Sinai, Columbia or even JHU as my reach/shoot for the stars schools?

It is always super great showing much progress in the path toward the goal, verification of the passion. You may point out your MCAT improved so much and it surely will sway the admission committee. Better to put the reach schools in your list.

You're golden. Add any school you want to the list. Start with Harvard

Wow...that's awesome news haha. Thanks for your input!

It is always super great showing much progress in the path toward the goal, verification of the passion. You may point out your MCAT improved so much and it surely will sway the admission committee. Better to put the reach schools in your list.

Haha I know what you mean. I had to be sure I wanted to pursue medicine when I was facing the prospect of another MCAT test (especially this new beast when I hadn't even taken sociology). Thanks for your input!!