Suggestions for a decent (but reasonably priced) laptop for a psych grad student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mander

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm in the market for a laptop and I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a halfway decent system that is suitable for a psych grad student that won't break the bank.
I have a good desktop at home, so I don't need anything too fancy. It will mainly be used for administering some neuropsych measures, SPSS and Office stuff.
I know Dell offers an APA discount, as well as an institutional discount to the university -- anyone know of any other deals?
Thanks in advance for your help

Members don't see this ad.

Typically computer/laptop deals can be found here:

http://www.gotapex.com/
http://www.gotapex.com/got-deals/
http://forums.slickdeals.net/forumdisplay.php?sduid=0&f=9
http://www.fatwallet.com/c/18/

A dell only listing:

http://www.gottadeal.com/dell.php?category=inspiron

That should get you started.

A work of advice about dell....they have multiple ways to buy computers (Home, Biz, Employee Purchase Program, Outlet (scratch and dent)....so take some time to play around with the numbers. You should be able to buy through most of the programs (only the EPP require an actual biz/educational institiution to be selected) I've been buying from them since they were a small company....and even though they don't have as many of the crazy deals they use to have early on...there are still deals to be found. When using the coupons, make sure to read which 'store' it applies to. Most of the B&M (brick and mortar...like Best Buy) deals are AR (after rebate) or MIR (mail in rebate). They can be decent laptops for cheap.....but you'll beed to wait 6-8 weeks to get the rebate checks.

*PLEASE NOTE: If you post on any of those forums, PLEASE read the FAQs, browse through the forum, and try and use the 'search' feature before you post. I've been a long standing member of one of the sites, and you'll get a much nicer response if you do your due dilligence first.*

Best of luck.

-t

Members don't see this ad :)
Stay away from Dell laptops - they're crap. Dell desktops are good.

I've tried most major brands and some niche ones (both corporately and also for personal use) and each seem to have their issues, it very much depends on the brand line.....because not all laptops are created equal. Some lines are made specifically for business travels....they tend to be solidly built and have lower fail rates....BUT they come at a premium (IBM/Levano ThinkPad x60s). Others are more mass marketed and cut corners to keep cost down. That being said...just because it is expensive, doesn't mean it is rugged; the VAIO comes to mind. Great laptop (looks, performance, etc)......but they can be fragile.

I have a Dell 700m (inspiron) and it has been great....but i've had little things go wrong with it, mostly because of the use/abuse it takes from me. I bought it for the size (4lb, 5hr battery, 12" screen). It is my current laptop. I had a top of the line Compaq 15.4" that crapped out on me after a year. Previously I used: Sony VAIO (flashy but flimsy), Thinkpad x41 (solid), HP (iffy), Dell Latitude (pretty good), and another Compaq (ugh). Supposedly the Compaq quality control has improved since merging with HP. Compaq's servers are awesome though. HP has a number of laptops that score well...so it seems that they are back on the ball.

Here are some reviews that may be helpful:

PC World: Top 5 All-Purpose Laptops
PC World: Top 5 Power User Laptops
PC World: Top 5 Ultra-Portable Laptops

From the listings above, I've used (and recommend) the following laptops:

ThinkPad x60s......the gold standard for business. Well made, good performance, great battery, and ultra-portable. I used their predecessor (X41), and it was rock solid.

Dell E1505......has been well rated since it came out. I frequently recommend these for people who want something bigger than an x60s (I got one for my mother actually). Large keyboard, solid performance, and a good battery.

Alienware Area-51m 5750......grad students are not the targeted audience....games are. The only reason i put this here was because some people like it for a desktop replacement, much like the Toshiba Qosimo. It has the best of everything and is lightening quick.

-t

If you're in school, see what kind of educational discounts you can get through your university.

If you're not yet in grad school, I would wait until you get to school to see what educational discounts are available. Also, some departments are very PC-centric, whereas others are Mac-centric. You will probably benefit from purchasing the type of computer that is supported in your department.

Although I say that with one word to the wise - SPSS has no plans to update their software for the Mac, and it's pretty bad. As a Mac person, I've made the transition to Stata, and I actually now prefer Stata over SPSS. You have a lot more control over the type of analyses you can conduct.

I keep debating making the move over to Mac but I don't know if I would go nuts. I am a PC technician and I know how to do every little thing with Windows. I would have it so it could run both OS X and Vista but still...I don't know...It is tempting. I would love to learn the Mac OS, plus I have heard it is pretty cool.

Being able to run a duel platform is nice....but that one button.....always bugs me about Macs. They also have less coverage for anything that isn't Office, etc. I love most of what they do....I'm planning my next laptop to cross-over.

-t

I would recommend a mac to all. I have a macbook. It's fantastic, cheap, and has yet to give me a single problem (6 months). It is also super fast. And, as corny as the comercials may seem, they pretty much hit the nail on the head...it just works. Plus if you need to, these days you can put ans MS OS on the same machine, although that would be like going to a three star restaurant and ordering a burger.

lol, you really have gone the way of the Mac huh Psyclops. My biggest worry is that I literally know Windows inside and out...I have always loved computers and ended up with a second major in computers (but that focuses heavily on Windows). I am afraid that I would buy a new Mac and then be disappointed, at least at first, because I will have to re-learn everything! Nevertheless, I am tempted because I like challenges :). If it had a 6 month money-back guarantee, I would buy one tomorrow. I just don't want to pay $2k (since I would go for a Macbook Pro) and end up being bummed by my purchase.

Can anyone here tell me about your experience going from Windows to Mac?

I'd like to hear this also.....since I'm considering making the switch in the next year or so. From my limited experience with the new mac laptops.....i was very impressed. They layout is different than what I am use to....but most of the programs I use (well not SPSS and some propriatary stuff...but I can get a cheap PC desktop for that) it can handle with ease.

-p

I second the mac choice :) If a whole bunch of us switched over and notified SPSS about it maybe we could achieve something...

LM - where did you get that stats software that you like?

Can anyone here tell me about your experience going from Windows to Mac?

I have always been a Windows person, but then my first job out of college (full-time RA) used all Mac. And then my grad department was all Mac. The computer support in our department was quite poor for the PC. But our IT staff knew the Mac inside and out. So I got an iBook in grad school.

This is why I really recommend making a purchase based on what kind of support you have available to you. Live, personalized support is ALWAYS superior to trying to call the manufacturer's help service (Dell is especially bad in that respect).

Now that I am through with grad school, the department I work in mostly uses PC. I can basically go from one to the other with ease, but I still chose a Macbook for the office (i have a PC at home). The downside is that, if I have a problem, it often takes more time to investigate.

With the intel-based Mac, you will be able to load Windows or Vista- with Bootcamp, Parallels, or one other program (I'm forgetting the name right now). The issue is that they are only in beta version. As a result, our IT department at work refuses to provide support for them at this point in time. So while my intel-based Mac has the capacity to load Windows, I haven't tried it yet.

Overall, I find the Mac to be more user-friendly. Another benefit of the Mac is that most computer viruses are aimed toward PCs - so there's a bit more security, as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
LM - where did you get that stats software that you like?

I got it from my university IT department. It takes a while to learn the code (in fact, I'm still learning), but I do think it is superior to SPSS.

I don't like trouble shooting on a mac....of course on PC's now a days it isn't that much easier....i miss DOS! I think Mac does a GREAT job of integrating their own programs to really get the most out of the laptop. The power adapter on PCs always bugged me...why do they still use bricks when macs get that little thing?! Their multi-media programs are nice (of course PC has them, but they tend to be $$ and have a larger learning curve), and it is great for browsing, office work, etc. I haven't done web editting on it (do they have dreamweaver?), so I can't speak to that. Can you use something like Firefox on it?

-t

I haven't done web editting on it (do they have dreamweaver?), so I can't speak to that. Can you use something like Firefox on it?

The last release of Dreamweaver Studio (pre-Adobe) included both the Mac and Windows versions on the same CD. Many professional web developers prefer the Mac Version to the Windows.

The last release of Dreamweaver Studio (pre-Adobe) included both the Mac and Windows versions on the same CD. Many professional web developers prefer the Mac Version to the Windows.

At my first start-up, the programming team was split down the middle....half mac, half PC. Each camp was very much set in their ways. the front-end people vastly preferre macs, and the backend people tended to be PC people. I'm not sure if there is any reason...but it was funny when one had to use another's computer for something...they'd complain about things 'not being in the right place'.

-t

Mac has most things these days, in fact SPSS is the only program I have not been able to add on my laptop. It has something to do with the rosetta program on intel macs screwing up the algorithms for calucaltions when it switches over from PowerPC compataible SPSS. When SPSS releases their new mac version with this corrected they will resume support. I use firefox, and Safari. The mac won't download a program unless you tell it to, it's a one second step that prevents you from inadvertently downloading a virus. NOt some magical algorithm, just some simple common sense. Also, it asks for your password before it will install any program that will substantially alter the OS. This has allowed me to surf the net virus free with no protection software. Gone are the days of running norton or mcafee, and haivng spybot pop up to run through your 200,000 files.

As for power, I think you might find that the newest macbooks are really quite powerful intel 2 duo, 1gig ram, 100gig HD. My choice was mainly about size, but it came with a free ipod and printer too. I really don't hink you can go wrong.

I switched from pcs to macs in undergrad and I have never looked back. I am still using an old iBook right now but I am anticipating buying a new macbook before next fall semester. I have not had any problems outside of normal wear and I would recommend macs to anyone. I had a Sony Vaio before this one and I can't believe all the problems with pop-ups, viruses, blah blah blah that I used to put up with. When I bought my iBook I sprung for the 3 year extended warrenty and the mac people were great. I have called them for problems so minute that I was embarrased to need help and they just walk you through everything. The reason I switched was that a friend of mine in grad school told me that all the grad students in his program were switching because the macs were so much more reliable. I wanted to be a cool kid, so I switched too :p

Apple products are awesome, I will never buy anything else.

This is a stupid question but I have a lot of music which is either MP3 or WMA. I think MP3 can play on a Mac but can anyone confirm this and let me know if WMA can? Thanks!

you can download windows media player and play wma's. i am currently using a mac and i play wma's all the time. sometimes it is tricky to get it to play the file, but it will work.

Assuming you can get whatever software you need for a Mac, I think you'd find that learning OS X on a mac will take you no time at all--especially since a lot of VISTA's new features (and planned ones that never made it) were ripped off OS X...with arguable success.

I made the transition to a mac laptop when I was required to my freshmen year (with some level of reluctance), but now would never look back--every time I end up using a Windows machine (i.e., in a library or even fully-functioning ones in department labs or at work), they are frustratingly slow, less stable, and far less reliable.

You will find that if you have been a PC technician (and therefore likely a bit of a poweruser) that your mac simply handles more applications far more successfully. For example, I am running on a 3-yr-old 1.33 GHz G4 Powerbook with 512mb ram and I have 8 browser windows, iTunes (playing video), GIMP (a professional image editor similar to Photoshop) and 7 other applications open simultaneously right now, yet I am experiencing no slow downs or any indication that I am running this many applications--try that in Windows with a similar machine...no, wait, don't....

I can do it but I am kind of cheating... 2 GHz processor and 2 Gigs of RAM. While my laptop is still pretty new, I am tough on it (I take it with me almost everywhere I go) so they only seem to last me about 2 years. If I buy a Mac, it better last longer because I can't afford them all that often :) especially in grad school!

haha, CHEATER! j/k

Yeah... I'm hard on my laptop as well... it's gone through more than a few falls... still works, just a few little scratches and dents--thats the one thing I prefer about PCs--they don't tend to show dents and scratches, whereas the aluminum powerbooks and macbooks show bad scratches and dents like nobody's business!

I want to get one of those 12" macbooks after I graduate, though--so convenient! (I have a 15")

I have a Dell now and overall I must admit I am pretty happy with it. I just figure with Vista coming out I am already going to have to learn the ins and outs of a new operating system (even though I have a good jump on it) so why not learn two. The question is would it be a good decision and would I go nuts and not like the Mac...I don't know. I will have to play with the ones in our computer labs.

the other good thing about macs is that you can install both OS's, windows and mac os. that way, you dont have to choose, you can install vista and learn that, and learn OSX also. The only drawback that I have found is that you have to completely restart to change OS's. I wish there was a way to switch back and forth more quickly and without shutting everything down.

well, I don't know how old the macs in the lab where I get free printing is, but my reservations with them were :

1. there was only one computer I knew of that allowed me to access blackboard (when I try to log in, it takes forever to show up the password, etc, and when i plug it in, it doesn't work, argh!!)

2. there's about 8 macs total, and at any one time, 3-4 are broken and need to be fixed.

however, I don't know how old, plus they are desktop, so that might be different.

still, if I end up at Vanderbilt with the funds they give to buy a computer, I will get a mac even though my toshiba laptop is doing pretty okay, it is starting to fall apart now after 3.5 years.

The new macbooks have a different casing, at least the black ones do. Much more durable :)

This is a stupid question but I have a lot of music which is either MP3 or WMA. I think MP3 can play on a Mac but can anyone confirm this and let me know if WMA can? Thanks!

You can watch WMA, there is a program called flip4mac at flip4mac.com and it plays the video files through quicktime. That is wmvs I'm not sure about wma. Anyway, I've found itunes to be a fantastic program and much prefer the media interface with macs. Also, no more dealing with drivers and having to reinstall them and finding the right one, etc. If you have an periferal like a camera it just knows what it is, it is all built in. It was the most amazing thing, I plugged in my camera (canon sd400) and I didn't haev to load any of the canon software, the mac just recognized it, and asked if I wanted to import all of the pictures to iPhoto. It could not have been easier.

As you can tell I will just gush and gush about these things.

the other good thing about macs is that you can install both OS's, windows and mac os. that way, you dont have to choose, you can install vista and learn that, and learn OSX also. The only drawback that I have found is that you have to completely restart to change OS's. I wish there was a way to switch back and forth more quickly and without shutting everything down.

There is a program now that lets you do that too. It is on the mac site, allows you to switch on the desktop. Pretty amazing. Don't know if it sucks etc. nor do I know what it is called, but you can find it.

This is where I can help :). The program you are describing is Boot Camp. However, there is another program called Parallels which allows you to switch between the two without restarting and I have heard it is good, but it does cost $75. Well worth it in my opinion, however.

Yeah, I was talking about Parallels. I would really have to need to use a program for me to consider putting an MS OS on my machine though.

Somehting to think about, is that as more people switch to mac, and it seems like quite a few are these days (not just N of one, over half of their computer sales are to first time mac users), the gaps in the software offered will shrink.