Jpc984

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I am thinking of purchasing some type of handheld so I can check my email and maybe the internet while incovenienced at school. I don't really want a pocket pc/ palm pilot or something with phone capabilities. I just want something with the internet via a wireless network.

Any ideas.

desijigga

10+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
So no phone/palm/pocket PC... I think pretty much eliminated almost every possibility...

Why no phone capabilities? I think you can get a real good deal with sprint.
Another thing would be a blackberry...Sorry can't think of anymore..:rolleyes:

About the Ads

Jpc984

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks SpiceD... I didn't even know of this forum!

Jpc984

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Ok. Maybe I shouldn't of eliminated the picket pc/ palm. Basically, I want something that looks like a blackberry, i.e. has a small keyboard. I don't want a service plan; I just want to connect to wifi and check my email and internet.

DOctorJay

15+ Year Member
May 8, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Palm T/X for you but you'll have to suffer through the grafiti typing, use the small on screen "keyboard" or purchase a full size fold out - which actually turns the thing into a poor man's laptop, great for note taking in class and emails/web surfing as long as you have wifi access.

make sure before you make your purchase that your wifi at school will allow connection to whatever device you get!

just remembered, i think there's a Palm called the Tungsten C which if I remember correctly has wifi and a small keyboard - probably can only get that on eBay though but that may be EXACTLY what you're looking for.
http://reviews.cnet.com/pdas/palm-tungsten-c/4505-3127_7-21120743.html

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
On the Palm you can set it to a QWERTY keyboard instead of grafitti although I found the latter suprisingly easy to remember (if not to get the hang of at first).

I'm trying to decide between the Blackberry or IPhone for work, especially now that Apple has brought down the price...its sort of a wash as far as cost goes.

Lucio

10+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
blackberry pearl, i've used a bunch of these devices and the pearl works great- make sure you get an unlimited data plan from your provider, otherwise you get charged up the @#$ for every kilobyte of data you transfer. it's pretty much gonna be a phone by default if you want email access, unless you're willing to buy one of those micro 7 inch $2000 laptops.

check the compatibility of your email with the phone, i dropped the idea of an iphone when i found out that it can't do anything with outlook express.

Therapist4Chnge

Neuropsych Ninja Faculty
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2006
The Beach
Status
Psychologist
The pearl is cool. I still have a Dell Axim X50v, and it is awesome for a PDA, but traditional PDAs are on the way out, everything is getting integrated with phones.

-t

JobsFan

ASA Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2005
australia
Status
Attending Physician
I am thinking of purchasing some type of handheld so I can check my email and maybe the internet while incovenienced at school. I don't really want a pocket pc/ palm pilot or something with phone capabilities. I just want something with the internet via a wireless network.

Any ideas.
i believe you just described ...

the ipod touch :thumbup:

About the Ads