suggestions for a PA resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krissy1986vw

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,
i'm applying to DO schools now...as a Philly resident of course i'm applying to PCOM. my question is, what are other schools like in terms of out-of-state acceptances?
i have already received an interview rejection from NYCOM, and the New Jersey app. states that out-of-state positions are extremely competitive. i was specifically looking at New England, Michigan State, Oklahoma, and Kirksville.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Have you thought about Lake Erie college of osteopathic medicine? I think MSU is pretty competitive for out-of-staters....

yep
i did include lake erie on my AACOMAS app.
what is their rep like? i don't know much about the school...thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
LECOM is a fairly young school, but they are expanding, there is a new building that is suppose to be finished this month. I was accepted there, but do to location, and how strict the school is (They have a dress code, I felt that PCOM had more to offer me. Just me opinion ....
pat

Western U (COMP) did a overview of school based on in/out state, average MCAT/GPA, % men/women, etc etc etc...

Click here for link

-A

LECOM is an up-and-coming school. It is finishing up a new building, and will be opening up a pharmacy school next year. As to how much it has to offer, it has the second most hospital rotation sites for DO schools (I think it's around 50). Rumor has it PCOM lost its osteopathic hospital in Philly. Is this true? I'm not trying start a PCOM/LECOM war. Really, I'm not.

PCOM lost the hospital that was (literally) in its back yard to the Alleghany Heath Care system.. that has since closed (?)... I'm trying to remember the details of a conversation (while drinking) I had with a PCOMer.... Alcohol and long term memory.. not a good mix... Capt Morgan and pineapple juice IS a good mix...

-A

Ha I just got a rtejection letter from NYCOM today....but I'll be starting PCOM in less than 2 weeks anyway !

Krissy,

As a PA resident, I didn't have any problems receiving interviews at PCOM, LECOM, UHS, DMU, TUCOM, etc... However, unless you have amazing stats, I would stay away from NYCOM, NJ, and TCOM (from what I can remember) because they are just going to eat your money.

As for the other topic about PCOM's City Avenue Hospital, PCOM sold it in the 90s because like most hospitals, it was costing more money to run it then it was making. However, once it was sold, PCOM Doctors still staffed the hospital. However, a few years ago, it was closed down completely. Fortunately, a few months ago, PCOM bought back the property and it is still up in the air what the school is going to do with it. I have heard from some that PCOM is thinking about reopening its nursing program, some say that they are going to make it an outpatient clinic, and others say that it is going to be used for classroom space, and offices for various professors and Doctors who want to practice on the campus.

Hope this helps!