Suggestions for a resident ophthalmoscope!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newdoc22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I began my residency training in ophthalmology a few days ago and I am planning to buy a new ophthalmoscope so Iwould like to hear some suggestions from other residents too.What other equipment did you buy or planning to buy and what is a 'must have' for ophthalmology residents? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I began my residency training in ophthalmology a few days ago and I am planning to buy a new ophthalmoscope so Iwould like to hear some suggestions from other residents too.What other equipment did you buy or planning to buy and what is a 'must have' for ophthalmology residents? Thanks in advance!

I assume you mean a binocular indirect ophthalmoscope, yes?

I am looking both for a direct one to replace my old and I was checking for a binocular indirect too but I don't know if it is too early to buy one now or wait a little longer.That's why I am asking if there is anything else that a first year resident should always have.If you have any suggestions I would really like to hear your opinion.Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am looking both for a direct one to replace my old and I was checking for a binocular indirect too but I don't know if it is too early to buy one now or wait a little longer.That's why I am asking if there is anything else that a first year resident should always have.If you have any suggestions I would really like to hear your opinion.Thanks.

Don't waste money on another direct. You likely won't even use it. I used mine from med school a handful of times in residency, and that was usually with it set on slit and in conjunction with a 2.2 Panretinal--voila, a portable slit lamp. Now, I use the otoscope attachment occasionally to check my kids' ears.

You probably don't need a BIO right now. Presumably, your residency program has one for call use. You should also have access to one in each clinic lane. I bought a Keeler Spectra Plus halfway through my second year of residency, because the call BIO kept breaking. I liked it enough that I soon started using it in clinic, and I still do today.

Try on at least a Keeler Vantage and a Heine Omega 200 or 500. Those are the two most popular models. LED lamps are nice but oversold; the halogen bulbs last many years when properly cared for (as in not powered off a 12v stand supply when the bulb is meant for 6v.) Cordless is oversold in my estimation as well; it is nice, but not essential or all that important.

I have Heine in my lanes and a Keeler Spectra Plus for call. If I were buying again, I would probably just have a lightweight spectacle model like the Spectra and nothing else.

Visionary,OrbitsurgMD thank you so much for your replies.Probably I will get a Keeler Spectra Plus that is more affortable but I will wait a little longer to see if through practising I wlll need something else too.Thanks again!