Suggestions for a Sophomore?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texascarebear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're a sophomore, and you haven't even gotten through the first half of the year. You have plenty of time to develop your EC's, so I think you sound like you're panicking over very little right now.

With that said, I would suggest that you pick out your favorite EC's from those you've mentioned and really devote yourself to them. Emphasize what you love doing without paying too much attention to padding your resume.

Though it wasn't written explicitly for medical professional schools, the following article recently posted by user NickNaylor (MS1 at U of Chicago, Pritzker SOM) rather effectively sums up how AdComs will look at your EC's:

http://econlog.econlib.org/archives/2011/11/how_elite_firms.html

Specifically, you'll want to look at list item # 5.

Basically, you want your resume to show that you have a thematic passion with your EC's. From the looks of it, I think emphasizing your Orientation Leader and Americorps involvement, along with any other kind of people-oriented service work (paid or otherwise), will be advantageous, as it is the only theme that pops out to me right now. Try to further your involvement in these organizations so that you reach some kind of leadership position.

If you end up enjoying research, then make sure you emphasize that by really working toward producing publications.

And if you really do intend to accent your religious activity involvement, I think it would be best to make sure you also pursue leadership there AND somehow incorporate your religious values into your overall approach to why you want to pursue medicine. I think religious activity really doesn't do much by itself.

At the end of the day, though, you're doing fine so far. You'll eventually take your MCAT, solidify your GPA, and have a better idea of what you need stat-wise. Keep it up.