Suggestions for Lag Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

E'01

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi people,

Do any of you have plans for your lag year? I'm having super hard trouble finding jobs that will allow me the flexibility to go on med school interviews; no commitment beyond one year; decent salary to pay off at least half of my undergrad loans; time to take biochem in the fall. Is this all too much to ask?

Members don't see this ad.

Get a job with the Princeton Review! Look into it, good pay and fringe benefits.

Or Kaplan... :D they pay very well too. And if you know your subject well (you usually have a choice), you can teach it over and over again without much preparation. Plus, they are pretty flexible with scheduling. I taught for Kaplan when I was interviewing, and there were a couple of other people doing the same thing, so we covered for each other quite a bit.

Several of my friends also worked in labs as research assistants, and their bosses were typically very lenient with letting them have time off. You can get some money (not that much though) too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your suggestions..they were much appreciated :)

If you are looking for something medically related, you could always take the pharmacy technician exam and become a certified pharmacy technician in a hospital. Good pay and great clinical exposure, especially if you are in a pharmacy sattelite. Plus, you learn a lot about drugs.

Where can I get information on the pharmacy technician exam? That sounds like a great education/prep for clinical years.

Do you know if you have to take a class?

:)