Suggestions for looking at med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shantster

Eye protection!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm a sophomore pre-med student who is new to these boards. I am planning on taking a road trip this summer to check out some of the East Coast med schools and I was wondering if anyone else had toured the schools before applying to them. If so, how helpful are they at showing people around, and do you have any suggestions about what to do or ask while I'm there? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you know when and where you're going call the admissions office in advance. I think most school would set you up with a meeting or tour. Curriculum and grading policies vary some from school to school so you may want to ask about that.

shantster said:
Hi. I'm a sophomore pre-med student who is new to these boards. I am planning on taking a road trip this summer to check out some of the East Coast med schools and I was wondering if anyone else had toured the schools before applying to them. If so, how helpful are they at showing people around, and do you have any suggestions about what to do or ask while I'm there? Thanks.

I'm from California, and I spent the summer on the East Coast. I went by NYU, Mount Sinai, Georgetown, and Yale, and NONE of them would give me a tour - only interviewees get to tour the school (a guided tour, that is). I wouldn't bother taking a trip for the sole reason of touring the schools, because it doesnt really matter how you feel about a school unless you have a chance of getting in, and you need an interview first to have a chance of getting in.