Suggestions for M1 'question books'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nj3444

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I am an M1 starting soon. I have heard that the key to most first year classes at my school is to have a good textbook, review book, and "question book."

That being said, I have been having trouble finding advice on good question books. I understand BRS generally makes good review books, and textbooks obviously vary by course, but you can recommend any good question books for the common M1 courses? (or review books to for that matter)

Members don't see this ad.

honestly i'd try to focus more on the types of questions that will be asked on your in-class exams at this point, so if your professors or ms2's have old exams available i'd work with those for the time being. you're really early on at this point to start studying from step1-type question books. right now i'd just focus on passing your classes. just imo

Gray's anatomy review seems to be pretty kickass for anatomy questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, I am an M1 starting soon. I have heard that the key to most first year classes at my school is to have a good textbook, review book, and "question book."

That being said, I have been having trouble finding advice on good question books. I understand BRS generally makes good review books, and textbooks obviously vary by course, but you can recommend any good question books for the common M1 courses? (or review books to for that matter)
I'm not a medical student but I used Costanzo's Physiology 3rd edition textbook and her BRS physio book in my upper level physio class. The BRS book was great and at the end of each "chapter," there were a good number of questions (with good explanations of right and wrong answers) that really helped solidify the concepts. There was also a comprehensive exam or something like that at the end of the book, with more questions. I thought the amount of questions was pretty good and that they truly helped you solidify what you learned. Hope this helps.

In my experience, board review questions don't generally match up with the questions asked by first-year professors. This could be different for your school--which may use board-type questions (a much better teaching method imo). At my school, however, the professors usually asked about the most obscure details they could find--stuff that isn't even in brs books.

To me the BRS questions were usually pretty easy-ish (as in did you read the chapter) in comparison to what was on exams. I used Pre-Test for Histo, Biochem, and Neuro. I liked that they had really in depth answers.

I found "case files" great for physio and path