SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status
Medical Student
Ok, so the deal is, most individuals, in particular for college students, are emphasized to participate in extracurriculars, and clubs, and to make yourself a well rounded student by taking all different types of classes, etc. etc. Doing so, putting aside of course, your own vested interest in such said activities, will make you that much more of an attractive student when it comes to applying to grad schools, med schools etc. How involved are med school students in their community and EC's? Does this affect your matching into a strong residency or is that purely based upon USLME scores and clinical recommendations?

AnotherDork

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2004
Massachusetts
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Good question. In medical school (mine at least) there is a lot of involvement in the community, in both medical and non-medical volunteering, etc.

The short answer is that I think adcoms are wiser than premeds give them credit for. They can see who is volunteering because they wanted to learn about medicine or help out the community, and they can see who is doing it to pad their resume. Then, they accept those who are committed to making their corner of the world better. So you end up with a class of people who, for the most part, *like* to help out the community, people who would have done it even if medical schools didn't exist.

As for helping with matching, I dunno... not that far in yet!

OP
braluk

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for the quick reply. I understand that. For the most part, I do everything that I love to do. However, I wanted to see if that time was something not worth investing in, if it means I am going to spend valuable hours volunteering to do something if it isnt going to be noticed for, when instead I could be focusing on reading and studying for steps and whatnot. I know that volunteering or other EC's should be a thankless job, where you dont NEED to have a purpose for doing it aside from altruism, but that said, time is valuable in med school, and I probably wont dedicate myself to ECs (even overdedicating like I did in college) if it means that residency matching only is for the most part based upon the USMLEs and grades.

Brickhouse

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2003
LA2DC and back again...
Status
Resident [Any Field]
braluk said:
Thanks for the quick reply. I understand that. For the most part, I do everything that I love to do. However, I wanted to see if that time was something not worth investing in, if it means I am going to spend valuable hours volunteering to do something if it isnt going to be noticed for, when instead I could be focusing on reading and studying for steps and whatnot. I know that volunteering or other EC's should be a thankless job, where you dont NEED to have a purpose for doing it aside from altruism, but that said, time is valuable in med school, and I probably wont dedicate myself to ECs (even overdedicating like I did in college) if it means that residency matching only is for the most part based upon the USMLEs and grades.

I love that your avatar picture not only as a bottle up the ass but also a hip replacement.

As far as volunteering, I think it's definitely something that would come up in an interview but you might want to ask in a thread with residents if their ECs during med school came up at all. I personally liked volunteering this past year because it was the first time I could use what I was learning in school towards a positive end in my community. I did health education at shelters/free clinics and I loved that I could answer their questions with actual knowlegeable answers.