Suggestions for MCAT 2007 Self Study Books.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noshie

Don't judge!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am signing up for the July MCAT tonight and I have decided to buy a new MCAT book to get the feel for the new MCAT. So I want to get some kind of CD with the book or maybe find a CD with practice tests by itself. I have gone to every book store you can think of and looked online extensively. I took Kaplan twice and have taken the MCAT twice so I want to make this my last time ever and have decided that studying by myself this time would be best. I dont want the new Kaplan MCAT book, does anyone have any feedback from the new "Gold Standard" book, Princeton Reviews "Cracking the MCAT CBT", McGraw Hills new MCAT book with Cd, or the "Barrons New MCAT 2007" ? Is there a new Exam Krackers all in one book? Any other good books or individual CD MCAT practice Exams? Also on the AAMC website when you buy a test is it the same tests that they were selling with the old MCAT or are there new questions and in the new format? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have the gold standard DVDs and I love them...it doesn't get that detailed but tells you the base knowledge and formulas you need to know. From my experience (taking the August MCAT) it doesn't matter how much material you study after that, you have to learn to think the test rather than memorize it. This is my opinion, hope it helps.

Why even stress over this? Get as many as your wallet lets you. The more exposure to various problems testing the same material the better for you.

Well I already have the old kaplan books, audio osmosis and EK books. I just wanted one new book to get the CD or an idea of what the new test will be like. I have already spent over $2000 on stuff to study, but I just wanted one new book for the new MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I recently had found a group of DVDs that might be good. I am not sure whether it will help you increase your MCAT score significanlty or not, but I know its written by a guy who scored a 99 percentile on the MCATs, LSATs and other standardized exams. I am assuming this is a good book because the author probably has some good stategies and and good experience with the test and he knows what he is talking about.
Here is the link to the site:thumbup:
http://www.audiolearn.net/MCATVA.htm

If you already have Kaplan and all of Examkrackers books and audio, then I'd agree with JPAF, you should check out the gold standard videos. Very clear teaching and updated. Also, as far as I know, they are they only ones currently selling online access to 10 practice MCAT CBTs (mcat-prep.com).

Whatever you do, if you try something new, review it and share the experience on the Board!

good luck

Well I recently had found a group of DVDs that might be good. I am not sure whether it will help you increase your MCAT score significanlty or not, but I know its written by a guy who scored a 99 percentile on the MCATs, LSATs and other standardized exams. I am assuming this is a good book because the author probably has some good stategies and and good experience with the test and he knows what he is talking about.
Here is the link to the site:thumbup:

This is not necessarily a good prep material. The authors talk way too slow and put you to sleep. If you are used to EK AO, you might hate them slightly. The physics is really good though. Other than that, don't waste time. You can literally see the authors read you the material, instead of teaching it too you. I spotted a few errors. I bought it because it was supposedly a lot of "Visual Aids." Don't kid yourself. The amount of visual aid is the same as that of your local Kaplan textbook (change that to ExamKrackers because I don't like Kaplan). It is not completely useless, so buy it if you want something to waste your free time on while "studying" mcat, but not as your main preparation material. :thumbup: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

If you already have Kaplan and all of Examkrackers books and audio, then I'd agree with JPAF, you should check out the gold standard videos. Very clear teaching and updated. Also, as far as I know, they are they only ones currently selling online access to 10 practice MCAT CBTs (mcat-prep.com).

Whatever you do, if you try something new, review it and share the experience on the Board!

good luck

Does anyone know if the TPR thing really give you access to all the online TPR tests?? Cracking the New MCAT. How good is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raihan Mirza
Here is the link to the site

This is not necessarily a good prep material. The authors talk way too slow and put you to sleep. If you are used to EK AO, you might hate them slightly. The physics is really good though. Other than that, don't waste time. You can literally see the authors read you the material, instead of teaching it too you. I spotted a few errors. I bought it because it was supposedly a lot of "Visual Aids." Don't kid yourself. The amount of visual aid is the same as that of your local Kaplan textbook (change that to ExamKrackers because I don't like Kaplan). It is not completely useless, so buy it if you want something to waste your free time on while "studying" mcat, but not as your main preparation material.

I am going to be a freshmen in college, would you recommend me buying the software to get a brief understanding of the MCATs, like enough to get at least a 25 on the MCATs? Also isn't it better to spend money on this material than to waste more than a $1000 on kaplan itself.