Suggestions for schools to attend in PA to complete prerequisite courses for vet application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yogismom

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I am a PA resident and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on schools to attend to complete my prerequisite requirements (Chem II, Organic Chemistry, Biochem, Microbiology, and Physics II) before I apply to vet school. I am graduating with a Master's degree this spring (I currently conduct research on various terrestrial wildlife and aquatic mammals) and plan to be in the Philadelphia region after graduation. My financial situation is such that I cannot afford to pay much out of pocket, but I am willing to take out loans if the post-bacc program or classes at a certain university are highly suggested.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Community college or local state college to take pre-reqs. what ever is cheapest. The prestige does not matter.

Reactions: 3 users
I agree- community college. I go to Temple in PA and even though it's a public school it is still expensive for me, a full time student. They make you pay more if you are not full time (taking less than 12 credits a semester) or are not degree seeking (which is what you would be doing if you are just taking the pre reqs and not getting a degree).
I will say that Temple has every single pre req you need for any vet school other than Animal Nutrition (but hardly any schools ask for this class) but if money is what you are concerned about, don't go here

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Community college or local state college to take pre-reqs. what ever is cheapest. The prestige does not matter.
Yes, cheapest place for basic prereqs. But also check with the vet school(s) you plan to apply to, as some places prefer 4-year institutions for upper division sciences. Some local community colleges aren’t as academically rigorous (mine did a group final exam for Bio 1).

Reactions: 1 user
I attend drexel as an undergrad and although the classes are rigorous and you learn a lot, it is crazy expensive. Like someone else mentioned Drexel doesn’t have animal nutrition which is a requirement for North Carolina and maybe some others on the west coast. I know Rutgers has a good animal science program (and animal nutrition) but if it’s out of state that would also be a more expensive option.

I agree- community college. I go to Temple in PA and even though it's a public school it is still expensive for me, a full time student. They make you pay more if you are not full time (taking less than 12 credits a semester) or are not degree seeking (which is what you would be doing if you are just taking the pre reqs and not getting a degree).
I will say that Temple has every single pre req you need for any vet school other than Animal Nutrition (but hardly any schools ask for this class) but if money is what you are concerned about, don't go here
Are you not able to enroll as a degree-seeking student? I enrolled as a second degree-seeking student where I took my prereqs so I had priority registration but I didn’t actually finish the degree.

You could probably do that! They would have no way of knowing. But the OP would need to still take 12+ credits a semester to get full time tuition costs

Are you not able to enroll as a degree-seeking student? I enrolled as a second degree-seeking student where I took my prereqs so I had priority registration but I didn’t actually finish the degree.
This is exactly what I did! Non-degree students get the last pick during registration. Definitely makes more sense to apply as a second-degree student.

Hi all!

I am a PA resident and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on schools to attend to complete my prerequisite requirements (Chem II, Organic Chemistry, Biochem, Microbiology, and Physics II) before I apply to vet school. I am graduating with a Master's degree this spring (I currently conduct research on various terrestrial wildlife and aquatic mammals) and plan to be in the Philadelphia region after graduation. My financial situation is such that I cannot afford to pay much out of pocket, but I am willing to take out loans if the post-bacc program or classes at a certain university are highly suggested.

Thanks so much!
You guys are awesome! Thanks so much for the advice.

I highly recommend North Central Missouri State college's online organic chemistry. It is very doable. They offer O chem 1/2 and Physics 1/2 all online. I'm planning on taking some classes through Portage Learning (accredited through Geneva College in PA). All of these are way more affordable than most community colleges.