Suggestions for struggling first-year premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arcticmonkeys

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Warning: this is one of those "Can I get in" kind of threads.

My stats: Just finished first year with 75% average at Canadian uni, typical volunteering at hospital, no outstanding experience

Question: what should I do? Go to Australia/Ireland? Keep hacking at it and hope to raise my GPA to an A?

Any tips, suggestions would be great!!

P.S.: In-Province uni is quite competitive (tons of premeds), other med schools only accept 10-15 out-of-province applicants each year, is US realistic?

P.P.S.: Since first year courses are mostly med school prereq's, my prereq GPA wouldn't be too great.. and local canadian med school acceptance avgs are usually +80

Members don't see this ad.

arcticmonkeys said:
Warning: this is one of those "Can I get in" kind of threads.

My stats: Just finished first year with 75% average at Canadian uni, typical volunteering at hospital, no outstanding experience

Question: what should I do? Go to Australia/Ireland? Keep hacking at it and hope to raise my GPA to an A?

Any tips, suggestions would be great!!

P.S.: In-Province uni is quite competitive (tons of premeds), other med schools only accept 10-15 out-of-province applicants each year, is US realistic?

I take it you are a freshman? Don't even worry about med school at this juncture. Figure out what classes you are having trouble with and fix your approach, or don't take them, or take fewer of them. DO NOT "KEEP HACKING" and getting C's in your prereqs if you have dreams of going to med school. You do not want to dig yourself a bigger hole than you already have. Fall back on courses you enjoy and can do well in, regroup, and attempt the sciences when you are good and ready. If you have to take the prereqs one at a time, over a longer period of time, in order to get A's, that's still a better move than pushing through with a low GPA and having to go to a foreign (non North American) med school. At some point you will need to pile up some A's if you want to get into a US med school. It may take you longer than some, but you can probably do it, if you have the motivation. Hope that helps.

Do you recommend majoring in something (eg. Biochemistry, Microbiology, Physiology...) where there is a requirement to take a full science courseload?? for example, i'm exaggerating, but with courses like bio, analytical chem, physical chem, org chem ...

Or should I just take my med prereq's slowly (eg. 1 or 2 per term) while taking other non-science courses on the side without declaring a major?? Because my uni is pretty strict on taking the required courses in its designated year in order to specialize in a major (especially really competitive majors like pharmacology, etc).

Members don't see this ad :)
arcticmonkeys said:
Do you recommend majoring in something (eg. Biochemistry, Microbiology, Physiology...) where there is a requirement to take a full science courseload?? for example, i'm exaggerating, but with courses like bio, analytical chem, physical chem, org chem ...

Or should I just take my med prereq's slowly (eg. 1 or 2 per term) while taking other non-science courses on the side without declaring a major?? Because my uni is pretty strict on taking the required courses in its designated year in order to specialize in a major (especially really competitive majors like pharmacology, etc).
To get into a US med school, there is NO advantage in majoring in a science. What are you doing well at? If it's not science stay far away from a major such as you are suggesting. Take just the prereqs, spaced out so you can get A's in them from here on out. That is the smartest route to a US med school for someone who is struggling. Good luck.

I really would have done that if I were studying in the states, but in Canada most med students that get in actually do their undergrad in the sciences..
(And yes I have stats to back that up). Even though they say they don't have a preference, their stats show otherwise. It might be because of other reasons but it's usually the way to go.

Also since I'm a Canadian citizen, even if I did what you recommended for US schools, I might even be limited to the number of US schools that look at Canadian students.

Thanks for your help though I really appreciate it.

arcticmonkeys said:
I really would have done that if I were studying in the states, but in Canada most med students that get in actually do their undergrad in the sciences..
(And yes I have stats to back that up). Even though they say they don't have a preference, their stats show otherwise. It might be because of other reasons but it's usually the way to go.

Also since I'm a Canadian citizen, even if I did what you recommended for US schools, I might even be limited to the number of US schools that look at Canadian students.

Thanks for your help though I really appreciate it.

Perhaps it is because there are more science majors than others that apply to Canadian medical schools which makes up the disproportionality.

Once you take your intro courses (chemistry, biology etc) decide on which subjects in the intro class you liked best. If protein synthesis floats your boat, take an advanced genetics/proteomics course et cetera et cetera.

You should always be striving for the better grade. Poor grades won't necessarily prevent you from getting into medical school but they definately makes you less competitive. So you shouldn't be in the mind set of "should I find things to do or get good grades." You should be thinking, "what ECs can I participate in and manage a good course load that will allow me to study efficiently." --> Do you understand what I mean?

Try going to your pre-health/pre-med clubs and see what they have to offer. Join a fraternity if you want. Do something FUN! Come Junior year, playtime will start to mysteriously disappear as MCATs and applications cloud your vision.

I actually think it is good that you are thinking about this kind of stuff right now because it always surprises people when they actually have to start thinking about it. Firstly, getting a good GPA is of primie importance because with a bad one, your chances are pretty much gone. Next, take courses that interest you, all the while keeping in mind that getting good grades is the most important. It doesn't really matter what you take, as long as you can explain why you took and get good grades in it. Since it was your first year, and you have shown some legitimate concern about your grades, I would recommend proceeding with the pre-req. courses but maybe spreading them out a bit if you feel you like the stress of a tough course load would be too much.

But I also think it is important to take a full course load because a lot of Canadian schools like to see that you can at least handle 5 courses a year in undergrad (remember this does not apply to all schools, so I'd do some research as well). I'm exactly sure what a 75% converts to, but I'd assume that's around a B+ GPA, which isn't all that stellar, but it can surely improve. Try talking to an academic advisor maybe to help you plan out a suitable schedule that would allow for you to get really good grades while still maintaining a course load that can still challenge you a bit.

Sometimes the more I think about it, the tougher it seems to get into a school in Canada. If I obviously have decided to become a doctor already, should I just head to Ireland? I have no way to predict the future, and I don't know how my grades will turn out next year.

Yep, I've been researching and most if not all Canadian schools require a full course load so I'm definitely not going to try and get a better mark by taking less courses.

If I continue, I might drag my grade to an A-, or I might not. And even if I get an A- average, it doesn't guarantee me a spot, depending on my other volunteer work, references, interview, MCAT, etc...

If I leave Canada, I'll need to return as an IMG. There'll be plenty difficulties for sure, but at least I'll be a doctor for sure.

btw, thanks akinf, remark, lawdoc.

arcticmonkeys said:
I have no way to predict the future, and I don't know how my grades will turn out next year.

Why?

No problem, but realistically, since first year is usually time to adjust to university, if you learn from your mistakes and plan accordingly, I think you can surely improve.

LabMonster said:

=P

akinf said:
No problem, but realistically, since first year is usually time to adjust to university, if you learn from your mistakes and plan accordingly, I think you can surely improve.

Mann, a few hours ago I decided I would go abroad. Now you guys's encouragement is making me re-think it all over again. Back and forth, back and forth. Dilemma!