Suggestions for studying Chemistry and/or Organic Chemistry for the DAT? (And a possible study tips)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FireandIce128

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm just wondering, what books do you guys recommend for any of the chemistry sections for the DAT? (And if you guys recommend old chemistry textbooks from first year, that will be a no-go for me because my chemistry professor made his own book for our class. Instead, I want something official, if you guys can recommend any).

Right now for the biology section, I currently have Cliff's AP Biology and I also plan to utilize Feralis Notes.

Here's my plan right now:
School semester just started, and I plan to review DAT material throughout the semester. Of course, I also have classes, so I plan to treat this DAT review like a typical class (2-3 times a week). Then, when it's summer, I plan on reviewing/studying AGAIN. Chemistry and Biology are tough, especially for me, so I need all the review I can get. Then, I plan to practice using practice tests of course. (I heard Qvault, Destroyer, and Bootcamp are good. Any more suggestions/recommendations would be cool). So studying for the DAT in the summer can take me anywhere from 8-12 weeks I bet.

For the chemistry section, I really want to utilize Chad's videos but it has a monthly subscription. So if I start subscribing now, lots more money will come out my pockets. That's why I want to wait until summer so I can subscribe during my 2nd time reviewing.

So, any suggestions/books for studying chemistry & orgo during the school semester?
Also, what do you guys think of my study plan?

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Chad's videos, as you mentioned, are very good and probably the best way to start. It will prepare you for tackling the DAT Destroyer. Make sure you do as many of the quizzes after each section in Chad's videos. Afterwards, go through Destroyer at least twice. Once you feel you have a good handle on it, work through DAT Bootcamp's Chem quizzes. These are pretty representative of the actual difficulty of the DAT, from my experience, and will give you a feel for the real thing.

Chad's videos, as you mentioned, are very good and probably the best way to start. It will prepare you for tackling the DAT Destroyer. Make sure you do as many of the quizzes after each section in Chad's videos. Afterwards, go through Destroyer at least twice. Once you feel you have a good handle on it, work through DAT Bootcamp's Chem quizzes. These are pretty representative of the actual difficulty of the DAT, from my experience, and will give you a feel for the real thing.

Yes I definitely plan to utilize Chad's videos, but I'm not planning to start that until I start studying thoroughly in the summer. (I don't want to have a subscription from January to July cause that'll be a lot of money). I was just wondering if there's any other chemistry books or online sources that can help me review during the semester that's similar to Cliffnotes AP Biology.

Not exactly a book resource but I found YouTube videos were very helpful. I recommend Khan Academy and the related videos you'd find.

Reactions: 1 users