Suggestions for team building and listening skills?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Annette

gainfully employed
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some input. I don't know if it is my perspective, or if the intern class in my program is different this year. Despite numerous "friendly" chats, some of the interns don't seem to understand what is expected of them.

I want the interns to become confident, but there are some times that a senior should be called. At this stage, I think the intern should at least alert me that a patient on the floor is having chest pain, or other similar problems (dropping H+H, etc.) For some reason, a few of the interns are not understanding this. Despite being told, a few still are not getting this concept. Any suggestions for helping to get this point across?

Shouldn't an intern know by this point in time how to write an H+P? Or is it still too early in the year? I'm not expecting a masterpiece, just an appropriate history in legible handwritting. I don't even care about spelling. Does anyone know of websites to help with handwriting?

Also, this group of interns seems very individualistic. Residency sucks, and one of the things that helps people through is being able to count on their fellow residents. While not backstabbing currently, they don't seem to want to help each other out. I'll be gone in less than 300 days, so I don't really have a vested interest in their future, but I think it is part of my responsibility to help them develop survival skills. I've been pointing out how the senior residents help each other out, but it doesn't seem to be sinking in. Any thoughts on how to increase absorption?

Going to the program director is unfortunately a waste of time and effort. The chief resident is a good guy, and somewhat helpful, is thinking about fellowship, and has a million other things on his plate.

Members don't see this ad.