Suggestions for Volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stickgirl390

I tell chemistry jokes periodically.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in a fairly small town in GA (population about 30,000) and work in an EXTREMELY small town in FL (population is about 6,000). I'm striking out with my few volunteering options. Does anyone have creative suggestions on how to volunteer in my situation? I really need clinical volunteering on my application. What sort of offices use volunteers/which ones don't? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a hospital, nursing home or hospice center in your town? You might not have any luck volunteering in doctor's offices but I'd think your services would be greatly appreciated by nursing homes and hospice centers.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
There's gotta be soup kitchens/nursing homes/highway clean up available. You aren't looking hard enough opie.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My local hospital won't let pre-med students volunteer. The lady I spoke with said it's because they're volunteering for the wrong reasons. I'm not sure if you've tried it, but I had great luck by asking about volunteer opportunities on my local b/S/t Facebook groups. Calling around to local businesses helps too. Sorry that I am unable to be of much help. Good luck OP!

I live in a fairly small town in GA (population about 30,000) and work in an EXTREMELY small town in FL (population is about 6,000). I'm striking out with my few volunteering options. Does anyone have creative suggestions on how to volunteer in my situation? I really need clinical volunteering on my application. What sort of offices use volunteers/which ones don't? Thanks!

Have you looked into free clinics?

I live in a population of 18,000. I still managed to find things.

Edit: Smaller than I thought, 5,283 to be exact...

Last edited:

Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, nursing homes, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics.

Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all, but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless, the dying, or Alzheimers or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.

Service need not be "unique". If you can alleviate suffering in your community through service to the poor, homeless, illiterate, fatherless, etc, you are meeting an otherwise unmet need and learning more about the lives of the people (or types of people) who will someday be your patients. Check out your local houses of worship for volunteer opportunities. The key thing is service to others less fortunate than you.

Examples include: Habitat for Humanity, Ronald McDonald House, Humane Society, crisis hotlines, soup kitchen, food pantry, homeless or women’s shelter, after-school tutoring for students or coaching a sport in a poor school district, teaching ESL to adults at a community center, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, or Meals on Wheels.

Reactions: 5 users
@Goro thanks for the lengthy response. I already have a lot of volunteering hours at our humane society, so I was looking for something working with people. I've tried our local "planned parenthood" (same thing, different name) as well as our American Cancer Society connection, and the food pantry. I really don't care what I'm doing, as long as it's with people, not dogs. The issue is that the spaces in my tiny town are limited, and all the college students are trying to volunteer at the same places. Trust me, it's NOT me being picky about being in a hospital. I didn't even bother asking at the hospital because the one here is notorious for never having openings (they tend to reserve hospital volunteering spots for nursing students). I'm pretty sure there is no Habitat here, I can try Big Brothers/Sisters. And I'll check at the nursing home too.

Last edited:
@Goro thanks for the lengthy response. I already have a lot of volunteering hours at our humane society, so I was looking for something working with people. I've tried our local "planned parenthood" (same thing, different name) as well as our American Cancer Society connection, and the food pantry. I really don't care what I'm doing, as long as it's with people, not dogs. The issue is that the spaces in my tiny town are limited, and all the college students are trying to volunteer at the same places. Trust me, it's NOT me being picky about being in a hospital. I didn't even bother asking at the hospital because the one here is notorious for never having openings (they tend to reserve hospital volunteering spots for nursing students). I'm pretty sure there is no Habitat here, I can try Big Brothers/Sisters. And I'll check at the nursing home too.
Big brothers sisters is a big commitment. A year commitment with mandatory attendance one every week. I think if you miss more than 2 they get rid of you. And dealing with a little kid is an unique experience. I see a lot of yelling screaming but thankfully I got a kid who is quiet and wants help with his homrwork

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Habitat is great if you can find one anywhere around you, it's great volunteering/sense of accomplishment/helping out less fortunate and you learn pretty practically useful skills. Plus while most places (at least where I live) allow volunteering for around 4 hours you can get an easy 8 hours in at a Habitat build, not that it's all about hours but when I'm driving a long distance to volunteer (I live in a town <1 mi^2 and around 2,000 people) I like to have a longer shift so I feel like I got more out of my day. Just my 0.02.

It isn't the best time of year to be approaching schools but a local public or private school might have use for a volunteer for after-school tutoring, particularly for kids who couldn't afford tutoring but who need it.

Are their Scouting groups, or similar youth groups, in your town? They can often use additional adult volunteers.

If you are active in a house of worship, ask the leadership if there are members of the congregation who need a "friendly visitor" on a regular basis. Some shut-ins would welcome a weekly visit and there might be other ways to be of assistance that you'll discover after you get to know them. (I know someone who did this for an elderly woman and ended up getting a local business that was looking for a group community project to rebuild her front porch and spruce up her yard... I think the dear woman was 96 years old and had lived in the house since childhood.)

PS: you don't need clinical volunteering... You need volunteering of some kind and you need clinical exposure. You can get clinical exposure through a job and some adcom members more highly value volunteer experience that wasn't a case of "two birds, one stone" that is typical of clinical volunteering.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you everyone. I've taken some of your suggestions and found that there is a Boys and Girls club in my area, and a women's shelter. I will be visiting tomorrow! I just needed some help brainstorming because I didn't even know what was out there.

And thank you @LizzyM for clarifying that it doesn't have to be clinical volunteering. Does shadowing count as clinical experience? I've shadowed 2 MDs and have a DO lined up this summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you everyone. I've taken some of your suggestions and found that there is a Boys and Girls club in my area, and a women's shelter. I will be visiting tomorrow! I just needed some help brainstorming because I didn't even know what was out there.

And thank you @LizzyM for clarifying that it doesn't have to be clinical volunteering. Does shadowing count as clinical experience? I've shadowed 2 MDs and have a DO lined up this summer.
No

Have you looked into whether there are Special Olympics opportunities near you? They have opportunities to be coaches or assistant coaches all over the country. Very rewarding.
I can check, but as far as I know we don't have anything like that. I've never thought of that though, thanks!

My local hospital won't let pre-med students volunteer. The lady I spoke with said it's because they're volunteering for the wrong reasons. I'm not sure if you've tried it, but I had great luck by asking about volunteer opportunities on my local b/S/t Facebook groups. Calling around to local businesses helps too. Sorry that I am unable to be of much help. Good luck OP!
Why tell them that you are premed, especially if you currently work (I'm assuming you are no longer an undergrad)?
I just say I want to volunteer because I need something extra to do outside of work and what better thing to do than to contribute to patient care.
PS: I really do mean this.

I can check, but as far as I know we don't have anything like that. I've never thought of that though, thanks!
Why not go to some houses of worship, and ask to volunteer. I'm sure they're looking for people.

Why not go to some houses of worship, and ask to volunteer. I'm sure they're looking for people.
I did this once so far, and the volunteer coordinator said I had to actually be a member of the parish to volunteer there. Seemed odd, is that common/normal?

I did this once so far, and the volunteer coordinator said I had to actually be a member of the parish to volunteer there. Seemed odd, is that common/normal?

It could have to do with the parish's insurance coverage.

Keep asking. Talk with pastors and other community leaders about unmet needs in the community and how you might help to fill the gap. Do people need help with resumes and work-appropriate clothing and interview coaching? Are there kids who can't get homework help from their parents? Is there a need for an emergency food/diaper bank? Is there a local library? Do they need volunteers to develop programming or for other tasks?

Reactions: 1 users
Why tell them that you are premed, especially if you currently work (I'm assuming you are no longer an undergrad)?
I just say I want to volunteer because I need something extra to do outside of work and what better thing to do than to contribute to patient care.
PS: I really do mean this.

I'm still undergrad :) . I don't usually tell anyone , because I still have things to figure out . I was a volunteer at a local hospital when Someone who wanted to volunteer came in and stated that they were pre-Med after the woman over the volunteers turned her down she stated that she did so because she feels pre-Med students are only volunteering because they have to not because they want to. She also said that they do not give letters of recommendation for anyone. Even after years of volunteering.

When you were in wny you should have taken care of non-clinical ecs because it seems like you can't find anything.

When you were in wny you should have taken care of non-clinical ecs because it seems like you can't find anything.
I did volunteer when I was in NY, but it wasn't very significant. I didn't decide i wanted to go to medical school until I had been out of WNY for a year or more. Oh well, hind sight is 20/20.

I've gotten a lot of good suggestions here though, I think I'll find something!

Also, stalker...:bag:;)

I did volunteer when I was in NY, but it wasn't very significant. I didn't decide i wanted to go to medical school until I had been out of WNY for a year or more. Oh well, hind sight is 20/20.

I've gotten a lot of good suggestions here though, I think I'll find something!

Also, stalker...:bag:;)
i remember your post about which uni u went to i just have a good memory lol

keep in mind same uni :)

See if your prisons have college programs for inmates, most of them will take student tutor volunteers. Super unique experience. I did this and it was a great experience. Grew a lot, had something else to talk about during interviews that caught interviewer's attention.

Not clinical, but still something to think about