Suggestions from current students on gifts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indydrtobe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for any suggestions from current students on things I might need when I start DO school in the fall. The holidays are upon us, graduation is looming ahead, and if I get asked one more time by my family what I want for either of those occasions...:D

Seriously, my family isn't in to giving gift cards, so I figure I will ask on here if there are things that I will need for school that I am not aware of yet.

I am still deliberating which school, but if it helps it's between CCOM and DMU. I will have the decision made this week, so I guess school specific is fine.

Advice? Things you wish you had asked for at graduation so you didn't have to shell the money out the first week of school?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you drink coffee, I love and adore my keurig.

Members don't see this ad :)
a stehoscope - either a litmann or if you would rather have something less pricey but just as good quality get an adscope (have both here and can honestly not tell the difference)
a manual bp cuff
some scrubs
either place is cooler so i love my cuddleduds (thing silky long underwear to wear under scrubs in winter)
lot of pens highlighters etc
latop or ipad etc
even if they do not like gift cards - tell them starbucks or panera (a lot of studenst here go to either or to study in groups)
if you are from somewhere warmer - a good winter coat, hats, gloves etc as well as some boots for snow slushing :)
a good backpack
a good lunchbag that can hold a lot
waterbottles like a camelback
travel coffee mugs

If your going anywhere COLD and where it snows, I recommend getting a portable indoor heater and other appropriate snow wear.

a stehoscope - either a litmann or if you would rather have something less pricey but just as good quality get an adscope (have both here and can honestly not tell the difference)
a manual bp cuff

some scrubs
either place is cooler so i love my cuddleduds (thing silky long underwear to wear under scrubs in winter)
lot of pens highlighters etc
latop or ipad etc
even if they do not like gift cards - tell them starbucks or panera (a lot of studenst here go to either or to study in groups)
if you are from somewhere warmer - a good winter coat, hats, gloves etc as well as some boots for snow slushing :)
a good backpack
a good lunchbag that can hold a lot
waterbottles like a camelback
travel coffee mugs

do we really need these for the pre-clinical years?

Sorry if this may be a stupid question, but when do you get to use these things when preclinical years are mostly spent in lectures/studying? Do we need these for certain labs?

every school (that I know of) has a physical diagnosis class in the first year where you learn to use everything so you definitely need it. and i don't know about all but I am guessing the better schools at least have standardized patients which they continually make sure you know how to use it.

Sorry if this may be a stupid question, but when do you get to use these things when preclinical years are mostly spent in lectures/studying? Do we need these for certain labs?

yes, you will need them for labs. Get cheap **** except for the stethoscope (it's the only thing you'll still use after boards).

every school (that I know of) has a physical diagnosis class in the first year where you learn to use everything so you definitely need it. and i don't know about all but I am guessing the better schools at least have standardized patients which they continually make sure you know how to use it.

Yeah we need the stethoscopes and blood pressure cuffs for CSEs, (clinical skills exams) as well as for weekly physical diagnosis and on preceptorships throughout the pre-clinical years.

yes, you will need them for labs. Get cheap **** except for the stethoscope (it's the only thing you'll still use after boards).

Definitely. I did not spend the $30 to get a Welch Allyn pen light when the uniform store had one for $5. Do get a nice stethoscope. Others in my class got the cheapest one offered through the WA rep, which I don't understand since the difference in price between the cheapest and most expensive one offered was literally <$20.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think so?

My question is the manual BP cuff, don't hospitals have that?

The sphyg is probably so you can practice doing BPs manually outside the clinic.

The sphyg is probably so you can practice doing BPs manually outside the clinic.

they require you buy one so you can learn and practice. but i asked the ladies selling "won't every place have one?" and they said, "yes but you can put it in your physician bag in case you need to preform blood pressure tests in an emergency when you are out." I then asked, "why would you buy the kits for $150 vs. the cheap one for $20?" She responded by saying that the kits are great if you are going overseas to an orphanage during a medical missions trip.

Ask them for a Littmann Cardio III, personally engraved.

Ask for cooler parents that tell you they're disappointed you got in, like mine.
Then burn the tree.

I appreciate the replies.

Another question....do the scrubs have to be a certain color? At CCOM/DMU?

Thanks

I appreciate the replies.

Another question....do the scrubs have to be a certain color? At CCOM/DMU?

Thanks

No

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

do we really need these for the pre-clinical years?
Most places provide you with scrubs. Nobody I know ever uses their BP cuffs. They are usually in the rooms anyways. You can get a stethoscope only and be fine. The urge is to buy everything you may need. Now I have a $700 otoscope combo pack that I once used to check my dogs eyes and..... that's it

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

Which is unnecessary. BP is not hard to do. Get it once or twice and youre fine. It may be a little awkward to position but who cares?

Yea, you do, but my school gave us a stethoscope so I would not buy any of the equipment now.
Yes. Our school had really great discounts on things.

The best option is to wait. Your school will tell you early on what you need and may even have a panel of upper class students to help you decide what is necessary and what isn't

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

If you drink coffee, I love and adore my keurig.

I just looked over some of the reviews for this. Doesn't it get expensive to buy those k-cups for every single cup of coffee?

I just looked over some of the reviews for this. Doesn't it get expensive to buy those k-cups for every single cup of coffee?

It is more expensive than brewing yourself (depending on how strong you make your home brew) but significantly cheaper than any form of buying coffee by the cup on/near campus. It is about 60 cents a cup using a kurig which isnt that bad. You also have much more variety with the k-cups. I just bought a crap ton of chocolate raspberry truffle cups (just black coffee with the essence of stuff), but we will get everything from regular dunkin donuts to hot chocolate. IIRC I was buying bags of coffee at about $10/bag which, if I used them constantly, I would go through one in about a week, and ended up wasting a lot of coffee that went cold. The cost for me was about a wash.

All this talk of a coffee maker has made me want to convert from soda/energy drink/5hr to coffee.. Primarily because I need a reason to justify having a bad as coffee maker in my apartment.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Get the nesspresso thing they are advertising on the TV box... if it is anything like the commercial it will make women drink coffee nekkid in your house.

kidney stones formed in the presence of excess caffeine (from say, coffee, 5hr energy, energy drinks...) form crystals. Spiky ones.

Then they eventually pass through your urethra.

kidney_stone_s1_crystal.jpg

just sayin

kidney stones formed in the presence of excess caffeine (from say, coffee, 5hr energy, energy drinks...) form crystals. Spiky ones.

just sayin

you didnt even find one of the really scary ones. They look like old ocean mines!

8-M98-P2.jpg

just sayin

you didnt even find one of the really scary ones. They look like old ocean mines!

8-M98-P2.jpg

:wow: I've seen a few weird things in gross lab, but this would top them all.

the sad part is even these gross pics won't do anything for my coffee urges. :rolleyes:

How about an iTunes gift card? I have read soo much about all the must have apps, although a lot may be free it might be nice to be able to have some backup iTunes cash!

Littmann 3100 Electronic Stethoscope....

How about an iTunes gift card? I have read soo much about all the must have apps, although a lot may be free it might be nice to be able to have some backup iTunes cash!

:thumbup:

this is the one thing i want for christmas

Jailbreak FTW!

Sent from my Galaxy S2

just sayin

Actually the caffeine you get from those things is typically very diluted (by the water that makes up the majority of the drink), which basically counteracts the suspected stone forming caused by excess caffeine. Popping caffeine pills is a different story though.

Actually the caffeine you get from those things is typically very diluted (by the water that makes up the majority of the drink), which basically counteracts the suspected stone forming caused by excess caffeine. Popping caffeine pills is a different story though.

in most people. But then again most people don't form them anyways. Caffeine in any form will increase your changes. I still drink a ton of it though :p

It is more expensive than brewing yourself (depending on how strong you make your home brew) but significantly cheaper than any form of buying coffee by the cup on/near campus. It is about 60 cents a cup using a kurig which isnt that bad. You also have much more variety with the k-cups. I just bought a crap ton of chocolate raspberry truffle cups (just black coffee with the essence of stuff), but we will get everything from regular dunkin donuts to hot chocolate. IIRC I was buying bags of coffee at about $10/bag which, if I used them constantly, I would go through one in about a week, and ended up wasting a lot of coffee that went cold. The cost for me was about a wash.

I have a keurig and never use the k-cups because it ends up being too expensive. The machine comes with a reusable cup that I use everyday. That way I can buy my own local coffee for way cheaper, not to mention it's way better for the environment.

I have a keurig and never use the k-cups because it ends up being too expensive. The machine comes with a reusable cup that I use everyday. That way I can buy my own local coffee for way cheaper, not to mention it's way better for the environment.

keep fighting the good fight :rolleyes:

I use my BP cuff practically every lab... It's required for lab stuff, maybe after I graduate I could sell it, but I'm sure I won't...

I agree with mommy2three's comment... Look around the area you'll be living, target/walmart gift cards while 'impersonal' are very useful. If there's a costco, they can also get you costco gift cards that you can use even if you aren't a member...