Suggestions - Non-traditional Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cwilson201

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm posting in an effort to get some suggestions on next moves. Here's the story....

I attended a community college, got my AA.
Transferred to a state school, did poorly, didn't like the area/school but got 1.5 years of genetics research out of the deal.
Transferred to another state school with a better program, survived and graduated with a 3.1. Had to retake a few pre-reqs (o-chem, gen chem, etc), worked full-time and did not engage in many ECs.

Graduated with a bachelor's in biomedical sciences Dec 2014. Sat for the new MCAT early 2015, scored s 503 while working 60hr weeks. I've been working at a medical scribe since graduation in multiple leadership roles and have learned a great deal, told by multiple physicians that I need to pursue a career as a medical provider and that I have the knowledge to do so.

Given my stats and experience, I'm trying to determine if I should even consider applying for the upcoming cycle or if I need to consider a second bachelor's in chemistry versus a master's versus any other suggestion and//or option that may be out there.

Help?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm posting in an effort to get some suggestions on next moves. Here's the story....

I attended a community college, got my AA.
Transferred to a state school, did poorly, didn't like the area/school but got 1.5 years of genetics research out of the deal.
Transferred to another state school with a better program, survived and graduated with a 3.1. Had to retake a few pre-reqs (o-chem, gen chem, etc), worked full-time and did not engage in many ECs.

Graduated with a bachelor's in biomedical sciences Dec 2014. Sat for the new MCAT early 2015, scored s 503 while working 60hr weeks. I've been working at a medical scribe since graduation in multiple leadership roles and have learned a great deal, told by multiple physicians that I need to pursue a career as a medical provider and that I have the knowledge to do so.

Given my stats and experience, I'm trying to determine if I should even consider applying for the upcoming cycle or if I need to consider a second bachelor's in chemistry versus a master's versus any other suggestion and//or option that may be out there.

Help?

Thanks in advance!

Why would you do to all the trouble of getting a second bachelor's? Are you close to finishing your chemistry requirements or something?

So you have a 503 MCAT, and 3.1 cgpa? Am I reading that right? Do you know your sGPA?

Why would you do to all the trouble of getting a second bachelor's? Are you close to finishing your chemistry requirements or something?

So you have a 503 MCAT, and 3.1 cgpa? Am I reading that right? Do you know your sGPA?

So I interviewed for a "Master's Bridge" at Nova last year and it's obvious from my transcripts that I struggled with chem, it was noted by an interviewer. I was thinking that a bachelor's in chem would prove that I could handle the material while also improving my undergrad GPA. I didn't take any additional credits towards a chem degree so I doubt that I'm any closer than any other pre-med student in completing the chem degree requirements.

My sGPA was 2.8, cGPA 3.1, MCAT 503.

Members don't see this ad :)
You sound like the kind of person that special master's programs were made for. If you feel like you could do well in one and were willing to spend the money then I'd definitely look into it. Maybe I'm biased because the one I did worked out so well for me. I'm well aware that they're a trap/money pit for some kids who don't have the motivation and are just desperate. But it seems like you do have the motivation and you're now older and wiser than you were when you messed up some classes early on.

So I interviewed for a "Master's Bridge" at Nova last year and it's obvious from my transcripts that I struggled with chem, it was noted by an interviewer. I was thinking that a bachelor's in chem would prove that I could handle the material while also improving my undergrad GPA. I didn't take any additional credits towards a chem degree so I doubt that I'm any closer than any other pre-med student in completing the chem degree requirements.

My sGPA was 2.8, cGPA 3.1, MCAT 503.

Okay cool, I agree with the above poster, SMP seems like the best move. A second bachelor's degree just seems totally redundant. You can also retake the chem courses you struggled in at a CC or any school around you as a part time non degree seeking student to show you can handle chem now. But overall no, I dont think you need a second bachelors.
Good luck!