Suggestions on Choice of School for Prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lzqrussell

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi My name is Rus and I graduated from a 4 year college 2 years ago with a bachelor degree in Accounting. Recently I have decided after two years of crunching numbers and getting paid less than tip workers I would like to take a shot at med school.

I just started to take classes this summer for med school prerequisites at a community college. But somehow I do not feel well about staying in community college (even getting good grades) because there are very few opportunities regarding research, connections and activities, and classes are not challenging enough. I am very academically smart and have some science background since high school.

So now, there are two choices ahead: save some $$ by staying at the community college and bang out a high MCAT score or transfer to a 4 year college for a high quality of education and better involvement. Since I already had a bachelor in business accounting I incline more towards staying in the community college.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have an excellent GPA from your four year university, I think you'll be fine at the CC as long as you get close to a 4.0. Good luck!

If you have an excellent GPA from your four year university, I think you'll be fine at the CC as long as you get close to a 4.0. Good luck!
Thank you. My GPA at my four year college was 3.76. My community college GPA is 3.98. I got all As in all of my science classes. Right now I am jumping on preparing for MCAT and hospital volunteering. I am new to the medical field but my dad is a retired doctor in a foreign country and he has been given me advice of diagnosing patients here and there. I also heard that doing research is quite important but staying at CC does not give me any of those opportunities, should I be looking for them? if yes, where should I start?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. My GPA at my four year college was 3.76. My community college GPA is 3.98. I got all As in all of my science classes. Right now I am jumping on preparing for MCAT and hospital volunteering. I am new to the medical field but my dad is a retired doctor in a foreign country and he has been given me advice of diagnosing patients here and there. I also heard that doing research is quite important but staying at CC does not give me any of those opportunities, should I be looking for them? if yes, where should I start?

The conventional wisdom is that research experience is less important for non-trads.

Hi My name is Rus and I graduated from a 4 year college 2 years ago with a bachelor degree in Accounting. Recently I have decided after two years of crunching numbers and getting paid less than tip workers I would like to take a shot at med school.

I just started to take classes this summer for med school prerequisites at a community college. But somehow I do not feel well about staying in community college (even getting good grades) because there are very few opportunities regarding research, connections and activities, and classes are not challenging enough. I am very academically smart and have some science background since high school.

So now, there are two choices ahead: save some $$ by staying at the community college and bang out a high MCAT score or transfer to a 4 year college for a high quality of education and better involvement. Since I already had a bachelor in business accounting I incline more towards staying in the community college.

What do you guys think?
Many schools require the pre-reqs be taken at a 4 year institution.