Suggestions on starting PMR residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radsprospect

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently finishing my TY and starting PMR this July. Admittedly, it was not my first choice of specialty, so I don’t have much experience in it as far as medical student rotations go. I’m going into it with the intention of doing a interventional pain fellowship.

Having said that I want to be the best resident I can be while I’m at my program. What books/resources would you suggest to start looking through before I start? Not having done any real rotations in it in medical school, I am feeling very unprepared for July. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,

I am currently finishing my TY and starting PMR this July. Admittedly, it was not my first choice of specialty, so I don’t have much experience in it as far as medical student rotations go. I’m going into it with the intention of doing a interventional pain fellowship.

Having said they I want to be the best resident I can be while I’m at my program. What books/resources would you suggest to start looking through before I start? Not having done any real rotations in it in medical school, I am feeling very unprepared for July. Thanks!

Anatomy is the basis of all PM&R. I’d try to learn MSK and neuroanatomy as well as you could. Your PGY-2 will likely be heavy on inpatient...and your IM in internship will be the greatest help. Random topics such as neurogenic bowel, neurogenic bladder, and spasticity management may be helpful because you’ll constantly face those issues on the rehab ward.

Anatomy is the basis of all PM&R. I’d try to learn MSK and neuroanatomy as well as you could. Your PGY-2 will likely be heavy on inpatient...and your IM in internship will be the greatest help. Random topics such as neurogenic bowel, neurogenic bladder, and spasticity management may be helpful because you’ll constantly face those issues on the rehab ward.

Is there a specific source you would recommend for anatomy or is Netter's just fine? Also is there a source you would recommend for MSK radiology? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a specific source you would recommend for anatomy or is Netter's just fine? Also is there a source you would recommend for MSK radiology? Thank you.

I’d honestly just use the resources you used in med school. I think familiarity is helpful with review. I wouldn’t go crazy with rads. If you understand the anatomy, you can work through the rads.