Suggestions or Advice???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

codym

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I've been a LONG TIME viewer of this forum and decided to join! I recently graduated from my undergrad with a Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science (Environmental Health concentration) and a minor in Chemistry. I have a few questions that I would love to get some insight on. I searched on this forum and I couldn't find enough info to fully answer my questions.

I applied and was accepted to the MPH program at St. Louis University. However, I decided to not attend due to the high cost of attendance ($65,000 for two years) - and I'm regretting that decision now. The high cost intimidates me a bit. It wasn't until recently that I found out about the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program. I understand the rules of the program, but is it okay to rely on this program to help with student loan debt? Do you think that the recent budget situation in DC could pose a threat to this program?

I'm now contemplating on reapplying to SLU and two other institutions.

I have a friend who completed a CDC internship and stayed at Emory. While he was there, he checked into their MPH program and was really impressed and after checking them out myself, so am I. He seems to think that I have a pretty good chance of getting into Emory since I was accepted to SLU - I'm not that convinced. My GRE scores are "average" and my GPA is around a 3.3. I do have some public health experience through two internships. During my first internship, I completed data collection and analysis of public health data for nine county health departments. I also assisted in a public health survey of local residents. The second was a GIS internship which had some aspects of representing public health data in a graphic format. Actually, the GIS internship turned into a full time job. Do you think I have a shot at getting in at Emory?

The other school is the University of Missouri - Columbia. They received CEPH accreditation in the beginning of the year, but they do not offer concentration areas. The dean describes it as a "generalist" degree. This is by far the most cost effective option for me, but would going to a school that offers concentration areas be better in the long run?

Thanks for your input and I do apologize for the long post!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys!

I've been a LONG TIME viewer of this forum and decided to join! I recently graduated from my undergrad with a Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science (Environmental Health concentration) and a minor in Chemistry. I have a few questions that I would love to get some insight on. I searched on this forum and I couldn't find enough info to fully answer my questions.

I applied and was accepted to the MPH program at St. Louis University. However, I decided to not attend due to the high cost of attendance ($65,000 for two years) - and I'm regretting that decision now. The high cost intimidates me a bit. It wasn't until recently that I found out about the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program. I understand the rules of the program, but is it okay to rely on this program to help with student loan debt? Do you think that the recent budget situation in DC could pose a threat to this program?

I'm now contemplating on reapplying to SLU and two other institutions.

I have a friend who completed a CDC internship and stayed at Emory. While he was there, he checked into their MPH program and was really impressed and after checking them out myself, so am I. He seems to think that I have a pretty good chance of getting into Emory since I was accepted to SLU - I'm not that convinced. My GRE scores are "average" and my GPA is around a 3.3. I do have some public health experience through two internships. During my first internship, I completed data collection and analysis of public health data for nine county health departments. I also assisted in a public health survey of local residents. The second was a GIS internship which had some aspects of representing public health data in a graphic format. Actually, the GIS internship turned into a full time job. Do you think I have a shot at getting in at Emory?

The other school is the University of Missouri - Columbia. They received CEPH accreditation in the beginning of the year, but they do not offer concentration areas. The dean describes it as a "generalist" degree. This is by far the most cost effective option for me, but would going to a school that offers concentration areas be better in the long run?

Thanks for your input and I do apologize for the long post!

As someone who has worked in Congress before, I advise you to be cautious of your decisions because current policies can change in the near future.

http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/12023-obamas-new-loan-plan/

http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/...-the-public-service-loan-forgiveness-program/

When selecting a program funding is one of my 4 main factors besides job placement, community, and food.

I just love good food, brah! I live to eat, not eat to live! FYI, i'm not vegetarian.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply veggie - so are you saying that if an assistantship or full tuition scholarship isn't offered, then I probably shouldn't go to grad school? If thats the case, then grad school wouldn't be an option for the majority of students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply veggie - so are you saying that if an assistantship or full tuition scholarship isn't offered, then I probably shouldn't go to grad school? If thats the case, then grad school wouldn't be an option for the majority of students.

any scholarship / grant / funding helps. just can't expect the public federal loan forgiveness to help you out in the near future.

http://www.usnews.com/education/blo...roblem-with-federal-loan-forgiveness-programs

now, do you really wana take a low paying job for 10 consecutive years? :(

also, the program doesn't cover pvt loans unless it was through a direct loan program.

"I also warn against relying on loan assistance programs. Some government employers will count loan assistance programs paid to you as income, meaning you pay more taxes. At some levels, the after-tax benefits could be negligible. Often these arrangements also require some sort of continuing employment agreement, binding you to a certain organization for X number of years. Private sector plans are similar, so check the fine print carefully. On the other hand, student loan interest paid is tax deductible for incomes up to $70K (or something like that), not that it makes +$100K in debt any more bearable in the long run."

http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/4576-hks-and-the-mountain-of-debt/page__st__20

"Crunching the numbers, assuming 120k of debt, between the LRAP and the Federal Loan Forgiveness Program, this is still a ginormous risk. Harvard's LRAP only lasts for 5 years, a much shorter time than any standard loan repayment program, and only substantially helps you if you're making very, very little money. The more promising program, the FLFP---when I spoke to someone in DoE yesterday about this program--they said they wouldn't know any details about the program until 2017 when the first eligible person applies for forgiveness! So, for example, they haven't hammered out the details on whether if you lose your job for a month (very possible, given this economy and our very likely slow road back) in the 10-year period between graduation and 120 monthly payments, if that will disqualify you from the program (FLFP requires that you be a FT employee in the np/government/public sector). And, as someone astutely pointed out, all of this depends on whether Congress appropriates enough funds for the program your graduating year (and seriously, when do they do that?). Basically, the woman I spoke with advised me NOT to count on this program.

I'm thinking more and more that the debt load here simply isn't worth it, especially in this economy. This makes me so incredibly sad/frustrated, because this had been absolutely where I wanted to go. "

Last edited:

Hi Codym, I found myself in a situation similar to yours, except that I would have been ~100K in debt after grad school. Assuming Loan Repayment Program still exists in 2 years (which it might not, the way the tea leaves read), I definitely didn't want to be stuck with 100K debt and potentially have issues finding a job on the other end.

I have a lot of experience being educated then unable to find a job -- after receiving my doctorate in the worst economic climate in my short life, I'm still searching (despite being highly qualified). I've learned that when the economy suffers, so do students and especially when so many people are using the 'I'll just go to school til the economy improves' approach. So, personally, I'm applying for external scholarships to fund my own way or completing a post-doc with an MPH attached. The reason being that I have no idea what will be waiting for me in 2014 or so when I need to be starting a job (of course I'll be looking for that job for years beforehand, given my less-than-ideal experience). I know I wrote a novel but:

If you can go and not pay: do that. If you can go and not pay 100%: even better. Apply broadly and examine your options: financial, academic and otherwise. Hopefully it'll be sunshine days when you've finished grad school. But likely, there are more stormy days ahead.

~GraC

any scholarship / grant / funding helps. just can't expect the public federal loan forgiveness to help you out in the near future.

http://www.usnews.com/education/blo...roblem-with-federal-loan-forgiveness-programs

now, do you really wana take a low paying job for 10 consecutive years? :(

also, the program doesn't cover pvt loans unless it was through a direct loan program.

"I also warn against relying on loan assistance programs. Some government employers will count loan assistance programs paid to you as income, meaning you pay more taxes. At some levels, the after-tax benefits could be negligible. Often these arrangements also require some sort of continuing employment agreement, binding you to a certain organization for X number of years. Private sector plans are similar, so check the fine print carefully. On the other hand, student loan interest paid is tax deductible for incomes up to $70K (or something like that), not that it makes +$100K in debt any more bearable in the long run."

http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/4576-hks-and-the-mountain-of-debt/page__st__20

"Crunching the numbers, assuming 120k of debt, between the LRAP and the Federal Loan Forgiveness Program, this is still a ginormous risk. Harvard's LRAP only lasts for 5 years, a much shorter time than any standard loan repayment program, and only substantially helps you if you're making very, very little money. The more promising program, the FLFP---when I spoke to someone in DoE yesterday about this program--they said they wouldn't know any details about the program until 2017 when the first eligible person applies for forgiveness! So, for example, they haven't hammered out the details on whether if you lose your job for a month (very possible, given this economy and our very likely slow road back) in the 10-year period between graduation and 120 monthly payments, if that will disqualify you from the program (FLFP requires that you be a FT employee in the np/government/public sector). And, as someone astutely pointed out, all of this depends on whether Congress appropriates enough funds for the program your graduating year (and seriously, when do they do that?). Basically, the woman I spoke with advised me NOT to count on this program.

I'm thinking more and more that the debt load here simply isn't worth it, especially in this economy. This makes me so incredibly sad/frustrated, because this had been absolutely where I wanted to go. "

I absolutely understand where you're coming from and I am approaching this with extreme caution. I appreciate the links and other info that you have provided as well. I knew there were rules and stipulations in the program, but you have provided me enough evidence to definitely not rely on this program.

I calculated the cost of attendence for Mizzou and total (including living expenses) was around $40,000. Add that to the 30 grand I have from undergrad and thats $70,000 when I'm done. I am very discouraged and frustrated that education is so expensive.

Hi Codym, I found myself in a situation similar to yours, except that I would have been ~100K in debt after grad school. Assuming Loan Repayment Program still exists in 2 years (which it might not, the way the tea leaves read), I definitely didn't want to be stuck with 100K debt and potentially have issues finding a job on the other end.

I have a lot of experience being educated then unable to find a job -- after receiving my doctorate in the worst economic climate in my short life, I'm still searching (despite being highly qualified). I've learned that when the economy suffers, so do students and especially when so many people are using the 'I'll just go to school til the economy improves' approach. So, personally, I'm applying for external scholarships to fund my own way or completing a post-doc with an MPH attached. The reason being that I have no idea what will be waiting for me in 2014 or so when I need to be starting a job (of course I'll be looking for that job for years beforehand, given my less-than-ideal experience). I know I wrote a novel but:

If you can go and not pay: do that. If you can go and not pay 100%: even better. Apply broadly and examine your options: financial, academic and otherwise. Hopefully it'll be sunshine days when you've finished grad school. But likely, there are more stormy days ahead.

~GraC

Thanks Grac for sharing your story and providing some suggestions. This process has fastly transformed from excitement to disappointment.

To anyone viewing this, do you know much about the program at the University of Missouri - Columbia? Thanks!

To anyone viewing this, do you know much about the program at the University of Missouri - Columbia? Thanks!

You're quite welcome, Codym. I also sympathize with the disappointment -- it's hard to not feel discouraged. However, I've been pleasantly surprised that there are scholarships out there (and I have checked with the schools individually and there are grants to be had as well). There is still hope. Maybe your best bet is to contact your school of interest and inquire about any fellowships you might be eligible for. I found out that I would only receive about 10% of the cost of attendance when I did this, however it was useful in making the final decision to sit it out this year in hopes of a brighter situation next year.

Good Luck! (I'll be posting around here in my 'free' time, and do feel free to reach out via PM as well).

~GraC

yesterday i felt depressed after reading these threads. :scared:

now i'm alright.