Suggestions please: looking for safety schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silverlining1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm having a tough time choosing "safety schools" to apply to because they all kind of seem the same to me from looking at websites. I'm going to apply to some big names (top 20), but I know that I should be realistic.

Can any of you suggest some "safety schools" that you know of that might be appropriate for my interests? Thanks so much!

The link to my MDapps is here in case that is useful.

Some factors I have in mind:
  • weather: no snow, preferably.
  • suburban is good, city might be okay (never lived in one), but need to have access to supermarket, shopping mall, etc.
  • CA is number one choice state; the closer to CA, the better
  • pass/fail grading
  • early clinical exposure
  • research opportunities available, but not required
  • good connections to surgical programs
  • less rather than more lecture time

Members don't see this ad.

There is no such thing as a safety school......unless you want to go to the Caribbean.

All of the safety applicants have already reserved their seats in them.

You have a 36T? What kind of safety are you looking for?

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean with your numbers and the caliber of your undergrad institution I dont see why you wont get into a majority of the schools you are applying to in Cali. But, of course, you never know. You should apply to some private schools just in case. I would recommend Jefferson and Drexel (you prob wont like Drexel) in Philly, or NYMC here in New York. I know this school isn't a safety, but maybe you should think about applying to Emory, sems to fit your description of an ideal school and you have very competetive numbers. I loved it when I interviewed and I think you will to.

The schools above all have a huge population of CA residents since CA schools are all so competitive. I heard someone on this forum call NYMC UC Valhalla :laugh:

and like already stated, there's no such thing as a safety when it comes to U.S. allopathic schools.

Wait... did you get a 36T or was that your highest practice test score???

All of the safety applicants have already reserved their seats in them.

You have a 36T? What kind of safety are you looking for?

If you read the MDapps, that's only a practice test score.. Actually, it's a combination of the highest practice test sections.

I would recommend Jefferson and Drexel (you prob wont like Drexel) in Philly, or NYMC here in New York. I know this school isn't a safety, but maybe you should think about applying to Emory, sems to fit your description of an ideal school and you have very competetive numbers.
Thank you so much for the specific suggestions; I will keep those names in mind and check them out.

I appreciate your saying that I am a fairly competitive applicant, but like Jbw said, I can't be sure of what's going to happen, especially since my #1 and #2 choices are UCLA and UCSF, respectively. I just want to know what other medical schools I might like that I have not considered or that I know little about.

And yes, 36T is my highest combined practice score. I'm taking the MCAT next month.

If you read the MDapps, that's only a practice test score.. Actually, it's a combination of the highest practice test sections.

:eek: Scratch what I said then. I didn't realize that people put practice scores on there. Doesn't that mess up the mdapps search function?

Save decision processes for after the MCAT. Go back to studying and wait for your scores; then you'll be able to make more informed decisions.

Hmm, I had figured that putting something there was better than nothing in terms of giving people an idea of where I stand. I suppose it is rather gunner-esque of me to make a profile when the start of my app cycle is still 3 months away :( I just want to do everything I can to get in somewhere that will make me happy, and I am hoping that some of you will have suggestions for what schools to consider. Thanks for the advice, HumbleMD; I will certainly update when the real MCAT score comes in.

It's hard to give advice when you haven't written the MCAT yet and although you have good practice scores, freak accidents can happen during the real test. I don't want to scare you and I should mention that, based on experience (anecdotal), you should be able to score within 2 points. (I scored 1 point higher than my highest practice).

So assuming you have a 34-38 MCAT score...based on your extensive research and other good EC's, I don't think you need any safety schools. My best advice really, is to look into the schools carefully before you apply and then only apply to schools that you would like to attend. I don't think having safety schools are worth it - I'd reapply the next year if things didn't work out. However, one should be practical when choosing schools they "want" to attend - you should determine which schools are within your reach, then narrow it down to ones that you would be happy at, no matter which ones (although you certainly can have number 1 choices too). Once you have realistic schools, then you can (if you are interested in them) throw in some schools that may be a bit out of reach.

It seems to me that you really want to stay in CA - that's cool, apply to all of em since you are a resident anyway. I think your list is fine and I don't suggest you apply to any "safety" schools unless your MCAT turns out bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
no such thing as a safety school, if i was you i'd apply liberally

The schools above all have a huge population of CA residents since CA schools are all so competitive. I heard someone on this forum call NYMC UC Valhalla :laugh:

and like already stated, there's no such thing as a safety when it comes to U.S. allopathic schools.

Students at Drexel refer to it as UC-Drexel... the school's colors are also blue and yellow. :rolleyes:

Save decision processes for after the MCAT. Go back to studying and wait for your scores; then you'll be able to make more informed decisions.

Do this. Study now, plan later. If you are smart enough to get 36T, although it was your practice test, you won't have any problem figuring out safety schools based on your stat by looking at MSAR later.

this is the funniest thing I have ever seen. How does anyone predict a 36T? I understand that if you score well on practice tests you might guess a 36 but a T???

I mean I got a S on the MCAT and it was purely by the grace of the gods (or reviewers, perhaps). I'm not knocking you, I just think an R or S would be more realistic (even if you are an all-star)...

After thinking about it for a little while, I'll give the OP a pass on this one. I think she's a noob. Sorry if we hurt your feelers.

this is the funniest thing I have ever seen. How does anyone predict a 36T? I understand that if you score well on practice tests you might guess a 36 but a T???
I am taking a prep course, and that's the score the grader gave me. Yea... I think it's ridiculous... I am not expecting to get that score on the real test, but I aim to do very well.

No hurt feelings... I do tend to have a tendency to overplan things in all aspects of my life =/ So thanks to those who made suggestions about schools, and to those who let me know that I shouldn't be worrying about this yet.

Eh, my app is a great reason that even with a 36T he should get safety schools...

:thumbdown:

Hmm, I had figured that putting something there was better than nothing in terms of giving people an idea of where I stand. I suppose it is rather gunner-esque of me to make a profile when the start of my app cycle is still 3 months away :( I just want to do everything I can to get in somewhere that will make me happy, and I am hoping that some of you will have suggestions for what schools to consider. Thanks for the advice, HumbleMD; I will certainly update when the real MCAT score comes in.

Right now, the best thing you can do for this is to study for the MCAT. When you have your scores you'll be able to make more meaningful decisions (for example, I scored 4 points higher than I ever did on a practice exam). Now seriously, off SDN. Go study!

Hi everyone,

I'm having a tough time choosing "safety schools" to apply to because they all kind of seem the same to me from looking at websites. I'm going to apply to some big names (top 20), but I know that I should be realistic.

Can any of you suggest some "safety schools" that you know of that might be appropriate for my interests? Thanks so much!

• suburban is good, city might be okay (never lived in one), but need to have access to supermarket, shopping mall, etc.
  • pass/fail grading

Harvard. It snows a lot up in Canada but it is a respectable if unknown school.

I am taking a prep course, and that's the score the grader gave me. Yea... I think it's ridiculous... I am not expecting to get that score on the real test, but I aim to do very well.

No hurt feelings... I do tend to have a tendency to overplan things in all aspects of my life =/ So thanks to those who made suggestions about schools, and to those who let me know that I shouldn't be worrying about this yet.

Don't worry about it, most of us on here are type "A". I'm sure we all asked the same questions, we just didn't post them. Use the MSAR. Also, I used http://www.studentdoc.com/medfind.html to help me narrow down my list.:luck:

I did some research for you so you don't have to strain yourself. This school took the hardship out of the entire admission process. Talk about the ultimate safety school.

Link for the copy/past job below

Graduates of Stewart University can get going on health care careers a year ahead of their peers through the new international med school's accelerated degree program.

(PRWEB) February 23, 2007 -- Up until just a few months ago, students at most top medical schools had to labor for up to four long years to earn their M.D. A new international medical school promises to help its students get a quality education and get started on a promising health care career more than a year before their peers.

Stewart University is the only medical school in the U.S. that gives preference to veterans

Stewart University New Scotland International School of Medicine, with administration offices in San Jose, Calif., and instruction in southern California on federal and Indian lands commenced its first classes in January 2007, with students who can expect to finish their degree by late 2009.

Not only can students meet their medical school requirements in less than three years, compared to four years at most other medical schools, but Chancellor William B. Stewart III, a former U.S. Army medical service corps captain, has vowed to make the international medical school one of the top medical schools in the world. "Stewart University is the only medical school in the U.S. that gives preference to veterans," Chancellor Stewart said. Both William Stewart III and his father, Stewart University Provost William B. Stewart Jr., are military veterans. William Jr. is a retired U.S. Navy dentist, and veteran of WWII and Viet Nam. William III is a veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom, as are several of his siblings. All veterans of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, National Guard and reservists are greeted with preferential admission to the medical school. A small group of military officers founded Stewart University for this purpose.

Students of Stewart University can expect two phases of medical school: Basic Science and Clinical studies. The private school's current tuition and fees are just $7,500 per semester.

Instructors at Stewart University-New Scotland International School of Medicine have all received their doctorates at top tier institutions. The text books used at Stewart University are the same as the standard medical texts used in the best medical schools in the US. The content of the medical school courses and curriculum are clinically applied and equivalent to the best US medical schools. The clinical phase is planned to take place in advanced tertiary care centers worldwide. Those hospital partnerships with Stewart University are being developed and expanded over the next 15 months.

In addition to offering the accelerated program, unlike other top medical schools in the US, Stewart University, as an international medical school is not requiring the MCAT (Medical College Admissions Test) which is only used in North America for medical school admission. Nor does Stewart University require AMCAS (American Medical College Application Service) screening or Bachelor's Degrees for admissions. There is only one (downloadable) admissions application and application fee used at Stewart University. Students are granted provisional admission to take prerequisites concurrently with medical school enrollment.
Stewart University's curriculum is taught by highly trained instructors, all of whom hold PhDs or professional degrees. Biographical information on each instructor, along with a downloadable admissions application is available on the university Web site, stewartmed.org. Prospective students can conveniently pay the application fee online and apply online for immediate review of their application.
About Stewart University:

Stewart University New Scotland International School of Medicine, instructional classes located in southern California, offers an accelerated, 2-year and 10-month M.D. program that allows students the opportunity to fulfill medical school requirements quickly and get started early on a career in medicine. New medical students are admitted every 4 months, with 3 new incoming classes a year. Chancellor William Bullock Stewart III is a former Army medical service corps captain, Pentagon action officer, and research biophysicist, his father, Provost Dr. William B. Stewart Jr., a retired Navy dentist, and combat maxillofacial surgeon with the 3rd Marine Division in Viet Nam, and a small group of other military officers founded Stewart University.

[*]CA is number one choice state; the closer to CA, the better

Just a note, you might want to consider good OOS schools as backups. I know a number of people actually who ended up getting rejected from everywhere in CA except UCI or UCD, and then got accepted to places like UPenn, Harvard, Yale, and Hopkins.

They started out "gung-ho" Californians, but eventually defected because they realized when you're talking about opportunities like that, weather doesn't really matter.

I mean, you definitely have great stats and you have a shot at the top schools, but restricting yourself to only CA may land you in a place where you may not be able to match back into CA for residency easily (and residency location matters more in the long term).

I did some research for you so you don't have to strain yourself. This school took the hardship out of the entire admission process. Talk about the ultimate safety school.

Well, many medical schools started out the same way. You never know. Give Stewart a century or so and they may be in the top 20:)

In addition to offering the accelerated program, unlike other top medical schools in the US, Stewart University, as an international medical school is not requiring the MCAT (Medical College Admissions Test) which is only used in North America for medical school admission. Nor does Stewart University require AMCAS (American Medical College Application Service) screening or Bachelor's Degrees for admissions. There is only one (downloadable) admissions application and application fee used at Stewart University. Students are granted provisional admission to take prerequisites concurrently with medical school enrollment.
Seeeeriously??
I'm very gullible, so I'm trying to figure out of this is fake...

I wonder if this premise will make for success with board exams and such.

To the OP, if you want safety school, here is the best IMO
Just remember to kiss your cash/check before you send it off

:eek: It's like the University of Phoenix opened a med school. I especially like how they don't have a library, permanent facilities, most of the professors (including ALL of second year), or clinical sites yet. And they keep saying they “Believe” the students will have no problem practicing medicine in most states, or getting the residency they want. Hmm…I could “believe” it actually can rain skittles…doesn’t make it true.

Seeeeriously??
I'm very gullible, so I'm trying to figure out of this is fake...

I wonder if this premise will make for success with board exams and such.

For all intents and purposes, consider it fake:p

Link for the copy/past job below

Graduates of Stewart University can get going on health care careers a year ahead of their peers through the new international med school's accelerated degree program.

(PRWEB) February 23, 2007 -- Up until just a few months ago, students at most top medical schools had to labor for up to four long years to earn their M.D. A new international medical school promises to help its students get a quality education and get started on a promising health care career more than a year before their peers.

Stewart University is the only medical school in the U.S. that gives preference to veterans

Stewart University New Scotland International School of Medicine, with administration offices in San Jose, Calif., and instruction in southern California on federal and Indian lands commenced its first classes in January 2007, with students who can expect to finish their degree by late 2009.

Not only can students meet their medical school requirements in less than three years, compared to four years at most other medical schools, but Chancellor William B. Stewart III, a former U.S. Army medical service corps captain, has vowed to make the international medical school one of the top medical schools in the world. "Stewart University is the only medical school in the U.S. that gives preference to veterans," Chancellor Stewart said. Both William Stewart III and his father, Stewart University Provost William B. Stewart Jr., are military veterans. William Jr. is a retired U.S. Navy dentist, and veteran of WWII and Viet Nam. William III is a veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom, as are several of his siblings. All veterans of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, National Guard and reservists are greeted with preferential admission to the medical school. A small group of military officers founded Stewart University for this purpose.

Students of Stewart University can expect two phases of medical school: Basic Science and Clinical studies. The private school's current tuition and fees are just $7,500 per semester.

Instructors at Stewart University-New Scotland International School of Medicine have all received their doctorates at top tier institutions. The text books used at Stewart University are the same as the standard medical texts used in the best medical schools in the US. The content of the medical school courses and curriculum are clinically applied and equivalent to the best US medical schools. The clinical phase is planned to take place in advanced tertiary care centers worldwide. Those hospital partnerships with Stewart University are being developed and expanded over the next 15 months.

Stewart University's curriculum is taught by highly trained instructors, all of whom hold PhDs or professional degrees. Biographical information on each instructor, along with a downloadable admissions application is available on the university Web site, stewartmed.org. Prospective students can conveniently pay the application fee online and apply online for immediate review of their application.
About Stewart University:

Stewart University New Scotland International School of Medicine, instructional classes located in southern California, offers an accelerated, 2-year and 10-month M.D. program that allows students the opportunity to fulfill medical school requirements quickly and get started early on a career in medicine. New medical students are admitted every 4 months, with 3 new incoming classes a year. Chancellor William Bullock Stewart III is a former Army medical service corps captain, Pentagon action officer, and research biophysicist, his father, Provost Dr. William B. Stewart Jr., a retired Navy dentist, and combat maxillofacial surgeon with the 3rd Marine Division in Viet Nam, and a small group of other military officers founded Stewart University.

the real question is - is it LCME accredited? If not, it's BS.

the real question is - is it LCME accredited? If not, it's BS.

Because you ask so nicely

FAQ

Q: Why isn't Stewart University School of Medicine accredited in the state of California?
A: We neither seek nor desire accreditation from the State of California, as we are an International school, operating on federal land, and do not need accreditation from the State of California in order to operate. Because we are an International school that is operating on federal land, we operate outside the jurisdiction of the State of California, and they have no authority over Stewart University despite their desire to control all medical training in the State of California. If you call the State of California, they will not say that they recognize Stewart University because Stewart University is above the standard of the state as an International medical school that operates on federal land outside the state's jurisdiction. We are operating completely legally and within federal government boundaries and protections, and for this reason the state of California cannot and does not have the authority to recognize our stature.

Q: Where are the clinical rotations being done?
A: Clinical rotations are the least concern of a new applicant to medical school.
:eek:A new medical student, just beginning their medical school basic science instruction, has 16 months in the accelerated Stewart University M.D. program, before they even take the USMLE step 1 exam, which they need to pass prior to taking any clinical rotations in the U.S.. The clinical rotations can take place in a variety of locations throughout the United States or elsewhere in the world - where the medical student desires.
Stewart University plans to associate our clinical rotations with the VA hospital system, US Military tertiary care medical facilities, foreign hospitals, and various JCAH approved hospital training programs.:laugh:

Q: Where is Stewart University conducting their medical classes?
A: Stewart University School of Medicine basic science classes are conducted in Ventura County, located in southern California, USA.
The exact location of current medical classes is temporary for the first semester prior to moving to the main campus, planned for May 2007. In the meantime, the location is kept confidential, and provided only to those students who have applied, paid their seat reservation fees, signed the student enrollment agreement, and been accepted to the medical school. Stewart University upholds the utmost privacy to its faculty and students.

Q: Why doesn't the school have a .edu, instead of a .org domain name and email addresses?
A: The school is in the process of obtaining registration of a .edu domain address for its website. (Maybe because only schools get the .edu address:laugh: :laugh: ) <-- My addition

That was fun...I'll go to sleep now. Play well kiddies.:sleep:

Right now, the best thing you can do for this is to study for the MCAT. When you have your scores you'll be able to make more meaningful decisions (for example, I scored 4 points higher than I ever did on a practice exam). Now seriously, off SDN. Go study!

Somebody get out a camera or use your printer or something... someone please record this moment in history. Ready.

I agree with Humble. :eek:

• pass/fail grading

Just curious, considering your criteria, how did Dartmouth get on your list? Not knocking Dartmouth--it's a wonderful school, and possibly where I'll be in the fall, but when I think warm, (sub)urban, close to CA I don't think of Hanover, NH. :laugh:

Because you ask so nicely

FAQ

Q: Why isn't Stewart University School of Medicine accredited in the state of California?
A: We neither seek nor desire accreditation from the State of California, as we are an International school, operating on federal land, and do not need accreditation from the State of California in order to operate. Because we are an International school that is operating on federal land, we operate outside the jurisdiction of the State of California, and they have no authority over Stewart University despite their desire to control all medical training in the State of California. If you call the State of California, they will not say that they recognize Stewart University because Stewart University is above the standard of the state as an International medical school that operates on federal land outside the state's jurisdiction. We are operating completely legally and within federal government boundaries and protections, and for this reason the state of California cannot and does not have the authority to recognize our stature.

Q: Where are the clinical rotations being done?
A: Clinical rotations are the least concern of a new applicant to medical school.
:eek:A new medical student, just beginning their medical school basic science instruction, has 16 months in the accelerated Stewart University M.D. program, before they even take the USMLE step 1 exam, which they need to pass prior to taking any clinical rotations in the U.S.. The clinical rotations can take place in a variety of locations throughout the United States or elsewhere in the world - where the medical student desires.
Stewart University plans to associate our clinical rotations with the VA hospital system, US Military tertiary care medical facilities, foreign hospitals, and various JCAH approved hospital training programs.:laugh:

Q: Where is Stewart University conducting their medical classes?
A: Stewart University School of Medicine basic science classes are conducted in Ventura County, located in southern California, USA.
The exact location of current medical classes is temporary for the first semester prior to moving to the main campus, planned for May 2007. In the meantime, the location is kept confidential, and provided only to those students who have applied, paid their seat reservation fees, signed the student enrollment agreement, and been accepted to the medical school. Stewart University upholds the utmost privacy to its faculty and students.

Q: Why doesn't the school have a .edu, instead of a .org domain name and email addresses?
A: The school is in the process of obtaining registration of a .edu domain address for its website. (Maybe because only schools get the .edu address:laugh: :laugh: ) <-- My addition

That was fun...I'll go to sleep now. Play well kiddies.:sleep:

Wow - I guess Stewart is legit then. I mean, it really is no different from other non-lcme international schools - if you take the usmle's, and land the residency, i guess you will be licensed to practice medicine?

Wow - I guess Stewart is legit then. I mean, it really is no different from other non-lcme international schools - if you take the usmle's, and land the residency, i guess you will be licensed to practice medicine?

I always thought it was some made up school when you guys mentioned it. Too bad its not for real - I'm from Ventura County - I could live with my parents and save tons of money.

Hi everyone,

• pass/fail grading

Meharry, Carribean schools. You might think about filling out the DO app just in case things really get messy. I mean with a 36T you never know what will happen.

I always thought it was some made up school when you guys mentioned it. Too bad its not for real - I'm from Ventura County - I could live with my parents and save tons of money.

Someone on another Stewart thread said that you can actually send your MCAT scores to them, so they have to be real...right?

oregon h&s university is close to cali and interviews >10% of out-of-state applicants, but it probably snows there

Someone on another Stewart thread said that you can actually send your MCAT scores to them, so they have to be real...right?

So is Stewart an elaborate joke, or is there actually someone out there taking people's money? Personally, I love the fact that the school accepts Paypal...