Suggestions Please!

pandulce321

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2006
  1. Medical Student
    Please suggest schools to me... here is my situation:

I am looking to go into oncology, therefore I would like to attend a school with a non-competitive environment, and a genuinely caring faculty.

My Science GPA = 3.79
    Overall GPA = 3.8
    MCAT =32R

-Zoology major from University of Florida
    -4 months of cancer research at Shands Cancer Clinic
    -4 semesters volunteering in Peds and NICU
    -AMSA member for 2 years
    -Pre-med mentor
    -Dean's list my last year of college
    -Volunteer at the American Cancer Society's Hope Lodge
    -Relay for Life participant
    -Math Tutor for 3 years
    -Camp counselor for 3 years
    -Nanny for 6 years (one of my rec letters)

I graduated in May and in my gap year I will be teaching high school chemistry.

I am from Florida, and have applied to all of the Florida schools, but I would also like to apply to some schools in the Northeast, specifically NY. If you could suggest a place that would fit my criteria, that would be greatly appreciated.

Bacchus

Staff member
    Administrator
    Volunteer Staff
    10+ Year Member
    Verified Expert
    Apr 28, 2007
    1. Attending Physician
      If you include research/ec's/shadowing/volunteer experience we can help you better. But with those numbers I don't think you'll have any problems with a Pennsylvania school except Penn due to your MCAT (Possibly). Number wise I think Jeff, Temple, Drexel, Pennstate, and Pitt would like your number but you might want to check on Pitt.

enigma85

10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      May 3, 2006
      New York, NY
      1. Medical Student
        Cornell (in NYC) has MSK Cancer Center--arguably the best cancer program in the nation. Your MCAT is probably low for them, but you could try.

UPenn, Columbia, UPitt, Dartmouth, and VCU (Inova Fairfax) also have strong oncology programs and, based on your numbers, you have a decent chance of interviews there.

Be sure to apply to a minimum of 15 schools.

Reaches: Cornell, Columbia, Penn
        Good fits: Pittsburgh, Rochester, Dartmouth, VCU, NYU, AECOM, MSSM, Jefferson, the New Jersey schools
        "Safeties": state schools in Florida, NYMC

About the Ads

pandulce321

10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Jan 11, 2006
        1. Medical Student
          Cornell (in NYC) has MSK Cancer Center--arguably the best cancer program in the nation. Your MCAT is probably low for them, but you could try.

UPenn, Columbia, UPitt, Dartmouth, and VCU also have strong oncology programs and, based on your numbers, you have a decent chance of interviews there.

Be sure to apply to a minimum of 15 schools.

Reaches: Cornell, Columbia, Penn
          Good fits: Pittsburgh, Rochester, Dartmouth, VCU, NYU, AECOM, MSSM, Jefferson, the New Jersey schools
          "Safeties": state schools in Florida, NYMC

I appreciate the suggestions. Can you please clarify the AECOM and MSSM abbreviations. Thanks!

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.