Suggestions to do research after graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emos

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there!
I'm an Italian medical student, and I'll finish medical school in about 1 year time.
After that, I've decided to come to the US to study/work.
I'd like to do some good research, but, hopefully, also some hospital work.
The research I'm mostly interested in is molecular genetics, so nothing really clinical :)
I cannot choose between a PhD and a residency. I don't understand if there are specialty training programs that are 50% ward work and 50% research.
So I'm really puzzled here: I wouldn't bear to do clinical work 100% of my time. At the same time, working 100% of my time in a PhD seems limiting to me.
DO you have any suggestions?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there!
I'm an Italian medical student, and I'll finish medical school in about 1 year time.
After that, I've decided to come to the US to study/work.
I'd like to do some good research, but, hopefully, also some hospital work.
The research I'm mostly interested in is molecular genetics, so nothing really clinical :)
I cannot choose between a PhD and a residency. I don't understand if there are specialty training programs that are 50% ward work and 50% research.
So I'm really puzzled here: I wouldn't bear to do clinical work 100% of my time. At the same time, working 100% of my time in a PhD seems limiting to me.
DO you have any suggestions?
Thanks
Many fellowship programs exist where you split your time between clinical time and a research project. This might be what you are looking for. I would start looking at research universities that you might want to work at, with programs you are interested in.

Last edited:
Many fellowship programs exist where you split your time between clinical time and a research project. This might be what you are looking for. I would start looking at research universities that you might want to work at, with programs you are interested in.

Thanks jmt,
do you have suggestions on where to look for interesting programs/universities? Is there a website that contains detailed descriptions of all the programs, or is it best to search university by university?
When you say fellowship, do you mean I have to undertake a clinical-only residency before applying for that?
Thanks