Suggestions to trim fat off PS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twitch

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious as to if anyone has any suggestions on how to whittle (sp?) down a personal statement to fall within the character limit of AMCAS.

Being an extrovert who likes to talk apparently doesn't help. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

5 nutritious meals a day + vigorous cardio. This is your formula for success.

Just playing. Nobody can help you without seeing your PS...why'd you make this thread?

Buy "The Elements of Style" by EB White & William Strunk. That's all the book is about: making your writing concise & direct; it will also teach you to avoid emaciated and bankrupt phrases and words. You should also invest in a thesaurus - just as a general rule.

Members don't see this ad :)
No real magic behind trimming fat, you just have to read, and re-read your PS and find areas that are not relevant or do not contribute to your overall theme. It's not easy to do but is doable.

I'll be happy to read your PS. I'm going to have a lot of time over break if you would like some help. Private message me if you would like some help.

Find the sentence that you think is the most profound. Delete it -- because it is not. Repeat until PS is short enough.

Y_Marker said:
Just curious as to if anyone has any suggestions on how to whittle (sp?) down a personal statement to fall within the character limit of AMCAS.

Being an extrovert who likes to talk apparently doesn't help. :laugh:

Position your paragraphs in a certain way. Instead of indenting your paragraphs with the tab key and using 7 extra characters, use the return key to separate paragraphs without indenting. This is how I made my essay fit the specified character amount. For example:

[spaces here] asdfj ;asdkfj a;slkdjf ;aslkdhf ;asldhf aksjdhflsidfhg;a sdo;fhas;dfoh askjhf a;sdhfj a;sdhf ;asdhf a;slkjdf a;ksjdh asdf aasdf asdf asdf a dfasd fa;sdhf ;asdhf ;alksdhf ;alskdhf ;alskdhf ;laskhdf ;asdh f;lashdf.liuhfasulaw asihef aseifh alsrekhu faliueshfaudfglkhdsfwetidlfkglvj asl ajshlf uasdfg laskjdfgh lasdgf lkasjdhf lasdfgh akskijf hliadrgh ;lalsejfloawe ghlisaihdg alsdifgh aksdfh lasjdfb aklsjdh fglasdf;aklise fhkausflaks idhfkajhsdbhflaik ughkasdfliaksudfhliudhasf haisugh fapsidgh a;lkdghj;aosg.
[spaces here] lasdkfm na?SDKMf 'askjf a'sjef 'aoisdjg a'oidwhfg pwie;fuh 'zdfoug npaqw;a;ush f;akjesbh g;iasuehfg aiwohefgla;sjehf;adsfh lkjzdhf oaishef ;aesjfh;ajdhf ;kajsdhf ;askjdh asldkfj aslkdfh ;asdfj ;alsdjf;lasd Aaskjdfn askjdfh asdhf asdkkfgjasldkjfaskldfj aw;efh asdif as;idofhasiefh asdflakduhrt;lqwiiehrruogh;serjy'wapoiuef;ouahrasdg;a;skdf a;soidhfg ;asdifh.

(sorry the computer won't let me put spaces before the above paragraphs)

Don't do the above, do this:

a;skdjfn a;sjdhf ;askjdhf akjsdhf kasljdhbv lakjhds fglkajsdhf asdf asdf asd fasdf asdf ;jase;f a;s dflkasjdhf ;aksjdhf alksjdhf laksjdhf laksjhdf alsjhd fajksdhflaks fasjjehf ;aeshf ;awefh ;akw efhkajsdhf lkasjdhf laksjdhf khj ; ;kh a;skjdhv ;aklsdhjf ;laksjd f;laksdjf;asdjf ;alskdjf;ljl s;alkdjf ;slkdfj as;ldif a;lkdf a;sdhf sakjdhf aksjd hflkasjdflaksjh dflaskjdfh laksjdhf;osfijaposeut wher;asoidhfu;lais eht;lka/sef.

asd;kjlf aksjdhf ka;jshfe laksjhd flaksjdhf lasjdhf laksjdhf sdkfj asfj asfj a;slkdfj ; liawuer;aweuhflsjdhf lakjshd flkashd flkasjhdflkajs hdflkasdfasdfasd asdkjf ahsdflkhasldkfjhalksd hflas;lkefjasl;dkf a;slkdf askdjf l;askdf ;alsdkjf ;laskdjf;laksjdf ;laskjdf; as;dljf;la.

This style will save you a ton of characters. :luck:

Randomly deleting words appears to do the trick.

Who would have thought that if I take my random thoughts and randomly delete words out of it I'd end up with a a beautiful piece of work. Much like abstract art.

Ladies and gentlemen behold a new era.... :laugh:

Telemachus said:
Find the sentence that you think is the most profound. Delete it -- because it is not. Repeat until PS is short enough.

That's about how I did it. Mine was about 3x too long when I started, but in the end it said everything I wanted it to say.

Think: Economy of words.