Suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vyparik1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I will be starting my second year of med school in August. Our schedule recently came out and the exams occur in a BLOCK format. Classes start August 19th but my first exam block does not begin until October 3rd. That is roughly 1.5 months into the school year till my first round of exams. I will have 5 exams in 6 days..Oct 3rd-Oct 8th.

My question is what is a good way of studying for these block exams. I have never had this type of format. In first year, the exams were spread apart every 2 weeks or so. Thus, this is a big change for me. Some former second years at my school tell me to skip every class (except the ones where attendance is mandatory such as ICM and Path lab) and straight memorize from the notes. Is this good advice? The student who used this method did fine. I don't know..any suggestions? :confused:

V MS2

Members don't see this ad.

Howdy! Our school was the exact opposite--we had blocks for M1 and randomly spread out tests for M2. After both years, looking back, the blocks really seemed to be better for me personally, at least from a time and sanity standpoint. Yes, that week of blocks stinks, but the week or two after it, when you get a chance to relax some (and catch up on all the other things in life that you neglected) is something I didn't get to experience much when we had tests every couple weeks.

As far as how to study, that's really an individual thing; some people go to class all the time and get a lot out of it. Others can skip everything and just study on their own (which is what I did). Basically, I would just keep up on things but not stress out too much until the two weeks before the block, and then dedicate everything you have to studying right around the tests. Each med school is a little different, though, so you'll have to see what works for you, especially since study styles are so different. My advice I give to all incoming students is to try going to class for at least the first block (or part of it in your case--that's a dang long block!) and see if you feel like you're learning.

Best of luck--at least for me, blocks were better. Third year was so much better--I can't stress that enough. You'll be there soon!

--Brendan--
<"}}}}}><

Hey Brendan,

Thanks for the feedback. I think I may go to class for the 1st week and if I can't learn anything from lecture I will just study from the notes.

V MS2