suggestions?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Dansh, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Dansh

Dansh Junior Member

I graduated from a small state school with a 3.87gpa

28M mcat(9v,9p,10b)

some research, volunteering, work experience

Any suggestions of which schools I might have a chance of getting in?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Dansh:
    <strong>I graduated from a small state school with a 3.87gpa

28M mcat(9v,9p,10b)

some research, volunteering, work experience

Any suggestions of which schools I might have a chance of getting in?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Dorothy this is isn?t Kansas anymore. From a vocational school a 3.87 GPA and the subpar MCAT scores will not cut it. As it has been said on this forum "you need to buckle down and retake the MCATs and consider taking some post Bach courses". There are a lot of good people on this forum that mean to help but are too optimistic and will tell you flowered versions of the truth, that you can do anything you can put your mind to.
    I don?t want hurt you and I am giving it to you short and narrow. I hope you don?t take any offence at my comments.

4. KU Brendan

KU Brendan FM/EM Attending, PC Gamer
    Physician Faculty

Attending Physician
    Ah, I believe I know which school you went to since I go to your state med school. If you have any questions about it, feel free to send me a message and ask away.

To answer your question, though, I think you should certainly apply to your state med school and then apply wherever you are interested in attending. If you want to stick around the midwest, the numbers of out of state students accepted at the other state schools around here are not high (except in Colorado, if I remember correctly--but I think the tuition there is about 4 times what it is here), so most people tend to apply to the private med schools around here. It totally depends what part of the country you'd like to end up, though.

Like I said, feel free to send a private message or email me if you have any questions!

--Brendan--
    &lt;"}}}}}&gt;&lt;

5. KU Brendan

KU Brendan FM/EM Attending, PC Gamer
    Physician Faculty

Attending Physician
    The school I believe he went to is not a "vocational school," and there ARE people from that school in med school (I know some of them actually). You have to look at averages--many med schools have an average entering GPA of 3.5 or 3.6 and an average MCAT under 30 (some in the 25-27 range). Schools go through phases where they will be number-centered one year and looking for more "well rounded" people the next. You will not be the only person from a small undergrad school with those numbers to make it into med school--you'll just want to make sure to stand out and have a great interview (as I'd say for anyone). Since most states will interview anyone with certain numbers, I don't think you'll have too much trouble at least getting an interview at your state school with the numbers you have.

--Brendan--
    &lt;"}}}}}&gt;&lt;

6. Dansh

Dansh Junior Member

Thanks Brenden - I'm assuming that I can at least have a chance at the state school - was just fishing for other possible schools.

And other guy - i respect the straight shooting but I'm not really the normal neurotic type that post things here. I don't have to have the absolute best scores.

7. Bikini Princess

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jack786:
    <strong>Dorothy this is isn't Kansas anymore. From a vocational school a 3.87 GPA and the subpar MCAT scores will not cut it. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, I think his gpa & scores are quite acceptable - in fact, I think they are close to average for many med school matriculants.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jacka786:<strong>
    There are a lot of good people on this forum that mean to help but are too optimistic and will tell you flowered versions of the truth.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you don't trust us, then trust the numbers listed in the MSAR. Your gpa is far above average for most matriculants. Your MCAT scores are about average for matriculants. So, based on your numbers alone, I think your chances are fairly good. :)

8. Raptor

Raptor Found one

Dude, you are above average in GPA and a 28 will get you in. You all its only about numbers. If you look at those people that got rejected, they had 3.8 and 32&gt; MCAT. Make sure your EC'S, volunteering, PS, research SHINE. You will be fine and good luck.

9. Doctora Foxy

Medical Student
    Don't mind jack, he's just a reincarnated troll as you can tell from his sarcastic post.

Apply to all of your state schools and only to private out of state schools, or state schools that accept a good percentage of out-of-staters. You might want to try Albany, Finch/CMS, MCP Hahnemann, George Washington, New York Medical College, and if you're from the midwest, maybe apply to MCW, SLU, and Loyola too.

Good luck! I think you have a good chance. Make sure you apply early!