Quantcast

Suggestions!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pruDENT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Here is profile of one of my friends who is coming to Texas in October. He is uncertain as to how long he will be in US
but will be there for at least an year. Graduated with BDS five years ago from Maharashtra in India. He has a very LOW 2.0 GPA and
he has not written Part I or part II or TOEFL or GRE....

If he has to utilize his time in a right way what can do during this time? Is pursuing advanced standing program a good move with such
low GPA? Can he go for any other degree? When he looked at Houston's advanced standing program they will consider only those
prospective candidates who: "Must not have been out of pre-doctoral dental school for more than five (5) years at the time of acceptance or must have completed a two (2) year postdoctoral program accredited by the American Dental Association within the past five (5) years."
Does it mean that my friend is not qualified to apply for the program?

With such low GPA can he still aim for advanced standing program? Should he start by preparing for boards? or should he volunteer? Or should he go to community college? or
should he go for non-clinical degrees? Please advise! What else can he do during that one year period? How difficult is it to get a volunteering position in Texas - Dallas or Houston?

Thanks for all your suggestions...

momdent06

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is profile of one of my friends who is coming to Texas in October. He is uncertain as to how long he will be in US
but will be there for at least an year. Graduated with BDS five years ago from Maharashtra in India. He has a very LOW 2.0 GPA and
he has not written Part I or part II or TOEFL or GRE....

If he has to utilize his time in a right way what can do during this time? Is pursuing advanced standing program a good move with such
low GPA? Can he go for any other degree? When he looked at Houston's advanced standing program they will consider only those
prospective candidates who: "Must not have been out of pre-doctoral dental school for more than five (5) years at the time of acceptance or must have completed a two (2) year postdoctoral program accredited by the American Dental Association within the past five (5) years."
Does it mean that my friend is not qualified to apply for the program?

With such low GPA can he still aim for advanced standing program? Should he start by preparing for boards? or should he volunteer? Or should he go to community college? or
should he go for non-clinical degrees? Please advise! What else can he do during that one year period? How difficult is it to get a volunteering position in Texas - Dallas or Houston?

Thanks for all your suggestions...

Yes...it is very difficult to get in UTHSC.I have been trying there for sometime now.Why dont u ask ur friend to try San Antonio dental school...it has a good ASP and they are not as strict as here....