Suicide of a Loyola Hospital intern from Harvard - My condolences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Guest254

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Suicide of a Loyola Hospital intern from Harvard after only 3 months of internship - My heartfelt condolences

In September 2011, a first year resident at Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood, IL committed suicide by hanging in his home, 3 months after starting his internship at Loyola Medical Center. He was a brilliant Chinese physician with MD-PhD degrees, who graduated earlier in 2011 from Harvard. He enjoyed years of success at Harvard, before starting internship at Loyola Medical Center.

He was well known to his friends for his enthusiasm towards starting internship and his desire to make the world a better place for others.

Despite revised duty hours, interns' work environments remain highly stressful and the adverse impacts on the interns are often not recognized or addressed properly. I would like to pay tributes to these unsung heroes who persevere to compassionately care for their patients despite their own sufferings from the undue stress of internship, and send my condolences to those who had paid the ultimate price.

Any loss of life is tragic. It is especially so for a young accomplished physician graduate, who was full of life and compassion for his patients, to end his life after only 3 months of internship at Loyola Medical Center. His death is not only a great loss to his elderly parents, who are retired academics, but an even greater loss for the thousands of potential patients who would have benefited from his compassionate and outstanding care.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/guest254/status/196058095011631105

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I find this really odd. No one at HMS matched at Loyola in 2011. Also, my best friend is a PGY-3 and never heard anything about this. Weird.

Maybe he was a foreign medical school graduate who had gotten a PhD from Harvard?

Hert felt conolences to the family.

I noticed the previos post which was clsed. There should be another whole forum for discussion on residents having problems with prorams.

And progrms that have a track record sch as tht u mentiond... of Loyola have prblms since 2009 and finly leading to a suicde... Hopeflly u are not trolling...

Its not healthy as we in healthcare know to simply close a thread that is bringing up issues that many residents may fnd themselvs in, sch as the one done in whch you linked this to...

It isn't simply a solutn to say rept to ACGME...

I noticed the previos post which was clsed. There should be another whole forum for discussion on residents having problems with prorams.

And progrms that have a track record sch as tht u mentiond... of Loyola have prblms since 2009 and finly leading to a suicde... Hopeflly u are not trolling...

Its not healthy as we in healthcare know to simply close a thread that is bringing up issues that many residents may fnd themselvs in, sch as the one done in whch you linked this to...

Are all the vowels out on your keyboard?

The other thread was closed because this one exists and the OP there knew it and linked to it. There is no need to make a second thread to discuss the same subject. The conversation can continue here for anyone who doesn't want to dive-bomb in with single posts.

But that's a Twitter post. Not everyone belongs to Twitter...

Without a twitter account u can read it. The twitter account gives a link to
http://********.com/DsBs53XG

and I dont think this is still a good source of information. I cant verify the above information in any site. At least a newspaper clipping or online story will be required

Without a twitter account u can read it. The twitter account gives a link to
http://********.com/DsBs53XG

and I dont think this is still a good source of information. I cant verify the above information in any site. At least a newspaper clipping or online story will be required

When this poster stated "Its not healthy as we in healthcare know to simply close a thread that is bringing up issues that many residents may fnd themselvs in" I inferred that they were speaking of this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=914230 which I locked for the afore mentioned reason. The above post is written in a pretty hard-to-understand way, so maybe I was mistaken in my inference:oops:.

When this poster stated "Its not healthy as we in healthcare know to simply close a thread that is bringing up issues that many residents may fnd themselvs in" I inferred that they were speaking of this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=914230 which I locked for the afore mentioned reason. The above post is written in a pretty hard-to-understand way, so maybe I was mistaken in my inference:oops:.

No hrm done.... I m not pointing fingers...

I dont agree with posting links between two posts either....

However, the post before was much differnt in topic then this post.... I don't believe it should have been closed

The previous pst was showing the malignancy of the program with some problems consistently happning in every year... which ultimatly led to the dire outcome of suicide.

This post is simply calling for condolences... and raising awareness...

We as healthcare practitioners shouldn't take ths issue lightly and should give poster's benfit of the doubt....

Only by addressing issues of problems by prgrams openly will there be reform...

Loyola's IM residency website has a listing of their PGY1's, none of whom match this description. I guess it's possible that he existed and they yanked his photo after he committed suicide. I think it's more possible that this is bogus.