• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Guest254

Apr 27, 2012
Status (Visible)
Suicide of a Loyola Hospital intern from Harvard after only 3 months of internship - My heartfelt condolences

In September 2011, a first year resident at Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood, IL committed suicide by hanging in his home, 3 months after starting his internship at Loyola Medical Center. He was a brilliant Chinese physician with MD-PhD degrees, who graduated earlier in 2011 from Harvard. He enjoyed years of success at Harvard, before starting internship at Loyola Medical Center.

He was well known to his friends for his enthusiasm towards starting internship and his desire to make the world a better place for others.

Despite revised duty hours, interns' work environments remain highly stressful and the adverse impacts on the interns are often not recognized or addressed properly. I would like to pay tributes to these unsung heroes who persevere to compassionately care for their patients despite their own sufferings from the undue stress of internship, and send my condolences to those who had paid the ultimate price.

Any loss of life is tragic. It is especially so for a young accomplished physician graduate, who was full of life and compassion for his patients, to end his life after only 3 months of internship at Loyola Medical Center. His death is not only a great loss to his elderly parents, who are retired academics, but an even greater loss for the thousands of potential patients who would have benefited from his compassionate and outstanding care.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/guest254/status/196058095011631105

Last edited:

Willbedr

May 8, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
I find this really odd. No one at HMS matched at Loyola in 2011. Also, my best friend is a PGY-3 and never heard anything about this. Weird.

dragonfly99

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Maybe he was a foreign medical school graduate who had gotten a PhD from Harvard?

About the Ads

Doppleganger

Mar 23, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hert felt conolences to the family.

I noticed the previos post which was clsed. There should be another whole forum for discussion on residents having problems with prorams.

And progrms that have a track record sch as tht u mentiond... of Loyola have prblms since 2009 and finly leading to a suicde... Hopeflly u are not trolling...

Its not healthy as we in healthcare know to simply close a thread that is bringing up issues that many residents may fnd themselvs in, sch as the one done in whch you linked this to...

It isn't simply a solutn to say rept to ACGME...

bcat85

10+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2007
Southeast
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

I noticed the previos post which was clsed. There should be another whole forum for discussion on residents having problems with prorams.

And progrms that have a track record sch as tht u mentiond... of Loyola have prblms since 2009 and finly leading to a suicde... Hopeflly u are not trolling...

Its not healthy as we in healthcare know to simply close a thread that is bringing up issues that many residents may fnd themselvs in, sch as the one done in whch you linked this to...

Are all the vowels out on your keyboard?

J-Rad

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2003
With my Children Of The Corn
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

The other thread was closed because this one exists and the OP there knew it and linked to it. There is no need to make a second thread to discuss the same subject. The conversation can continue here for anyone who doesn't want to dive-bomb in with single posts.

ROBINHO

15+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
But that's a Twitter post. Not everyone belongs to Twitter...

Without a twitter account u can read it. The twitter account gives a link to
http://********.com/DsBs53XG

and I dont think this is still a good source of information. I cant verify the above information in any site. At least a newspaper clipping or online story will be required

J-Rad

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2003
With my Children Of The Corn
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
But that's a Twitter post. Not everyone belongs to Twitter...

Without a twitter account u can read it. The twitter account gives a link to
http://********.com/DsBs53XG

and I dont think this is still a good source of information. I cant verify the above information in any site. At least a newspaper clipping or online story will be required

When this poster stated "Its not healthy as we in healthcare know to simply close a thread that is bringing up issues that many residents may fnd themselvs in" I inferred that they were speaking of this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=914230 which I locked for the afore mentioned reason. The above post is written in a pretty hard-to-understand way, so maybe I was mistaken in my inference:oops:.

Doppleganger

Mar 23, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
When this poster stated "Its not healthy as we in healthcare know to simply close a thread that is bringing up issues that many residents may fnd themselvs in" I inferred that they were speaking of this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=914230 which I locked for the afore mentioned reason. The above post is written in a pretty hard-to-understand way, so maybe I was mistaken in my inference:oops:.

No hrm done.... I m not pointing fingers...

I dont agree with posting links between two posts either....

However, the post before was much differnt in topic then this post.... I don't believe it should have been closed

The previous pst was showing the malignancy of the program with some problems consistently happning in every year... which ultimatly led to the dire outcome of suicide.

This post is simply calling for condolences... and raising awareness...

We as healthcare practitioners shouldn't take ths issue lightly and should give poster's benfit of the doubt....

Only by addressing issues of problems by prgrams openly will there be reform...

sacrament

somewhere east
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2001
this space left intentionally sexy
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Loyola's IM residency website has a listing of their PGY1's, none of whom match this description. I guess it's possible that he existed and they yanked his photo after he committed suicide. I think it's more possible that this is bogus.

xronghe

Sharp scalpel
7+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
May God Rest Him in Peace

I was so shocked when I heard the news half a years ago.

I do NOT think he was an IM intern. He got his MD in China years ago and he was a research fellow at Harvard before his internship.

Intense internship training could be the last straw. Another possible cause I am thinking of, based on what I heard, could be the lack of family support - He is an IMG at the age of around 40's, and he has no family here in the States...

I am not sure if his program should be blamed. We probably should leave that for his fellow interns to judge.

It is a very sad news. May his soul rest in peace.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.