Suicide rates rise sharply in US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PHD12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't have time to look at the original report, but was struck by some of the data.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/03/health/suicide-rate-rises-sharply-in-us.html?hp

From 1999 to 2010, the suicide rate among Americans ages 35 to 64 rose by nearly 30 percent, to 17.6 deaths per 100,000 population, up from 13.7.

The most pronounced increases were seen among men in their 50s, a group in which suicide rates jumped by nearly 50 percent, to about 30 per 100,000. For women, the largest increase was seen in those ages 60 to 64, among whom rates increased by nearly 60 percent, to 7.0 per 100,000.

More people now die of suicide than car accidents, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which published the findings in the May 3 issue of its Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report

This is a good time to advocate for increased funding for MH services and psychotherapy.

Members don't see this ad.

Any hypotheses? I have one. The pressures on the middle class have been very sharp recently. Economics don't really work for many people now.

Absolutely. Loss of retirement pensions, housing market crash, stock market collapse in 2008, no safety net....on and on.

Another factor you have to consider is the baby boomer cohort. Baby boomers as a cohort have throughout their history had high suicide rates and now they are getting to middle and late adulthood, a time when suicide rates often increase. Combine this cohort effect with the poor economy and I think it explains a lot of what we are seeing. We have lots of work to do in the suicide prevention field, but the good news is having just this week returned from the American Association of Suicidology conference I can tell you there are more researchers there than ever, including over 100 students. The future of suicide research is bright, but the problem is growing and we need more help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Another factor you have to consider is the baby boomer cohort. Baby boomers as a cohort have throughout their history had high suicide rates and now they are getting to middle and late adulthood, a time when suicide rates often increase. Combine this cohort effect with the poor economy and I think it explains a lot of what we are seeing. We have lots of work to do in the suicide prevention field, but the good news is having just this week returned from the American Association of Suicidology conference I can tell you there are more researchers there than ever, including over 100 students. The future of suicide research is bright, but the problem is growing and we need more help!

The original report cites those two factors (cohort effect and economy) plus increased availability of prescription opioids involved in intentional overdoses.

As morbid as this sounds, looks like I picked the right research interest....

As morbid as this sounds, looks like I picked the right research interest....

Are you finding people who research this, though? This was my major research interest, but I am struggling to find individuals actively researching it.

Are you finding people who research this, though? This was my major research interest, but I am struggling to find individuals actively researching it.

Yes there are quite a few. If you're still applying, I can PM you a list.

If you search SDN, there's an older thread on who's researching suicide ATM.

Look up research by David Phillips (UCSD). He investigates suicide from a sociological perspective: copycat suicide, etc.
I know you want psych but his research may interest you as well. I hope this helps.

Sent from my cell. Please excuse any typos.

Yeah....fresh off a trip to AAS, I can assure you there is no shortage of excellent suicide researchers in solid PhD programs. Joiner, Nock, Klonsky, Linehan, Cukrowicz, Witte, Selby, Smith (Phil or April), and on and on the list goes.

Folks interested in researching this topic are certainly not at a disadvantage in terms of choosing from solid options.