Suit and interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

choo301

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question: my only decent suit is a pinstripe one (black w/ thin white vertical stripes). Would that be viewed as too "flashy" in the eyes of my interviewer?

Members don't see this ad.

Just a quick question: my only decent suit is a pinstripe one (black w/ thin white vertical stripes). Would that be viewed as too "flashy" in the eyes of my interviewer?

i wore a black pinstripe suit, and i think that there were others on the interview trail that wore them as well. go with it. you'll save some money.

Members don't see this ad :)

Make sure you wear black and white wingtip shoes too.

J/K

I wish Med Schools would expressly forbid suits from being worn in interviews. It stinks that people have to go and plop down $400-$500 for a suit that they probably aren't going to wear much after interviews.

$400 - $500 :eek::eek::eek: ?!?!?!?!

Wow!

I got my suit at H&M and it came to $98 (including a cute scarf)! You need to buy off the rack my friend! I'll save the tailor-made suits for when I'm stylin as an M.D.

$400 - $500 :eek::eek::eek: ?!?!?!?!

Wow!

I got my suit at H&M and it came to $98 (including a cute scarf)! You need to buy off the rack my friend! I'll save the tailor-made suits for when I'm stylin as an M.D.

I did better than that, "hand me down".

I had to get it tailored, which cost some money.

At any rate, $400-500 might have been more of a "Brooks Brothers" estimate vs. a "Dillards" estimate. At any rate, it's too bad that people have to plop down that kind of money for an interview.

Of course - pinstripe is definitely classy and IMO alot different than standard plain navy or black. Its a little different without going over the top (though others will be in it too as mentioned already).

why would you never wear your suit again? Get the same suit for interviews, for weddings, etc. I've used my suit about 10 times and have only had 1 interview

why would you never wear your suit again? Get the same suit for interviews, for weddings, etc. I've used my suit about 10 times and have only had 1 interview

Because I don't like looking like a mortician.

Unless it's a formal or semi-formal affair, I'll wear Khakis and a jacket to taht stuff.

I don't doubt that everyone needs a suit at some point in their life, I am just saying it's too bad that the perception is that you can't get into med school without a suit.

Excellent, thanks, just never thought about it until now. Wish me luck tomorrow!

(By the way, I got my suit at Men's Wearhouse, $200 w/ free alterations, in case anyone is: a) a guy, and b) needs a suit that's not excessively expensive)

Excellent, thanks, just never thought about it until now. Wish me luck tomorrow!

(By the way, I got my suit at Men's Wearhouse, $200 w/ free alterations, in case anyone is: a) a guy, and b) needs a suit that's not excessively expensive)

Good luck dude.

my suit is brown pinstriped and my tour guide asked me where i bought it because she needed a new suit for residency interviews :laugh:
(the answer was Macy's)

I'm seeing pinstripes at every interview day this year (last year was about the same).

Another great argument for the "no black suit" recommendation is that men can wear an "interivew suit" to a wedding or similar social event without looking like a mortician. A good suit (and not necessarly black) is also appropriate at memorial services, funerals, etc. If you are old enough to interview for med school you are old enough to dress like a grown-up and having one set of grown-up clothes in the closet is a good idea. If you aren't already attending a half-dozen weddings a year, you will be soon unless you are one of those pre-meds who has no friends. :(

my suit is brown pinstriped and my tour guide asked me where i bought it because she needed a new suit for residency interviews :laugh:
(the answer was Macy's)

The Macy's at my mall completely sucks. They only had petite suits for women, and the one that I liked, a button popped off when I ran my hand down the jacket.

I got my suit for $230 at Dillards.