Suit coat: buttoned or unbuttoned?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qweewq11

Smiley orgy organizer
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
? :D

Members don't see this ad.

don't use buttons, velcro will make them easier to rip away for dramatic effect...

Fly: buttoned or unbuttoned?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any coat will cover my muscles. So just a wife beater for me.;)

LOL! I was planning on wearing the shortest skirt possible. (Think: Christina Aguilera) :laugh:

Seriously though, maybe button one button? Nice compromise I guess.

Are we talking men's or women's suits, here? For men, definitely unbuttoned. For women, depends on the suit.

I always thought that for men, the professional look was to button all the buttons on the jacket execpt the bottom button, which you leave open. Ask any suit salesperson, business person, or just look in some magazines or department store advertisements. Also, I almost never saw anyone at an interview with a completely open suit jacket. Always just like I described above, with the bottom button open and all others above it closed.

Originally posted by PrincessCKNY
LOL! I was planning on wearing the shortest skirt possible. (Think: Christina Aguilera) :laugh:

Seriously though, maybe button one button? Nice compromise I guess.

Were you planning on wearing a Christina like top too? :D I would like to really see that at an interview, it would be priceless. I would start pulling out my dollar bills and go :clap:!

i would button.

I've worked in the finance field, where suits are everday attire. The correct way to wear a suit, at least in a business setting, is all buttons (except bottom one) buttoned anytime that you are NOT sitting down. When you sit down, you unbutton ALL buttons. Only newanchors wear suits buttoned up sitting down.

Depends on how stuffed I am.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like unbuttoned, I totally look way hotter.

Does it honestly matter?

Adcom member #1: Candidate X did not button his suit during the interview. I vote for flat out rejection.

Adcom member #2: My God! No buttoning of the suit? Reject him and all future candidates related to him.

Only in some of your dreams:laugh:

We're supposed to wear a suit on interviews?

Confused girl here. I noticed on my interviewers that the guys button all of their jacket except for the buttons below their waistline. Why??? Just curious because it was EVERY guy.

Easier access for interviewer.

Actually, it is standard for guys to leave the bottom button undone (for whatever reason), and a lot of times that falls below the waistline.

I always thought that for men, the professional look was to button all the buttons on the jacket execpt the bottom button, which you leave open. Ask any suit salesperson, business person, or just look in some magazines or department store advertisements. Also, I almost never saw anyone at an interview with a completely open suit jacket. Always just like I described above, with the bottom button open and all others above it closed.

The real "rule" actually has more to do with the jacket and the lapel make-up than simply "leave bottom button undone." but it's probably overkill for interview purposes. In general, just leave the bottom button undone always.

Just remember "Sometimes, always, never".

If you have a two button jacket, you always button the top button when standing, and leave the bottom button undone.

If you have a three button jacket, it depends on where the buttons lie on the lapel. If the top button faces outward, and the lapel gently "rolls" over then you can button the top button if you want, but I believe you can leave it undone also if you want. Middle button is always buttoned though. The button will literally be at a right angle to your body (Looking straight at your body you'll see the thin side of the button.)

If you have a three button jacket, and the lapel has a defined crease above the top button, then you should button it. If it has a defined crease that covers the top button and button hole, then leave it undone. Some jackets will even have the backside of the button hole visible on the lapel.

Jeez...never knew so much went into a suit. I was always more tense about the interview to pay much attention to my suit.:D

Just leave the bottom button undone. It also helps if you happened to put on a little weight to camoflauge this. I interviewed with someone that buttoned all three. It was very unflattering...and I did notice. However, I don't think it would adversely affect you.

- Have the coat buttoned when walking around. You may chose to unbutton once you sit down.

- Here are the rules for buttoning a 2 or 3 button jacket.

2 Button: Top: always Bottom: never

3 Button: Top: sometimes Middle: always Bottom: never

Confused girl here. I noticed on my interviewers that the guys button all of their jacket except for the buttons below their waistline. Why??? Just curious because it was EVERY guy.

the origin goes as such:

A fat dude was the original reason that the bottom button wasn't buttoned and that tradition remains one of the reasons why you shouldn't bottom it nowadays. But the other, and frankly more important reason, is that suit manufacturers cut the suit so it will only be buttoned with the top button(s). Basically, having the bottom buttoned makes the suit look weird.

Are we talking men's or women's suits, here? For men, definitely unbuttoned. For women, depends on the suit.

Nope, for a man with a two button suit: Whenever you are standing it should be buttoned. Buttoned means the top button only--NEVER the bottom button. When you sit you unbutton the coat. Three buttons has more complicated rules as to which buttons should be buttoned, I don't actually know them. I'm not sure of the convention for a woman's suit.
-Roy

I didn't button a single button at any of my interviews. It always gave me the impression of uptightedness to have your suit wrapped around you like a cocoon.

I didn't button a single button at any of my interviews. It always gave me the impression of uptightedness to have your suit wrapped around you like a cocoon.

Same here, I just leave it unbuttoned whether I'm standing or sitting. I doubt it will have any impact on your decision either way. Just do whatever makes you more comfortable.

the way i see it, if your suit is unbuttoned ALL THE TIME, this shows that you're getting too comfy and unprofessional. But that's just me. haha

the way i see it, if your suit is unbuttoned ALL THE TIME, this shows that you're getting too comfy and unprofessional. But that's just me. haha

Possible, but I can't imagine that flipping you from the accept to reject pile or anything, lol. That just seems incredibly nit-picky to me if that were the case.

Possible, but I can't imagine that flipping you from the accept to reject pile or anything, lol. That just seems incredibly nit-picky to me if that were the case.

Meh. It's just proper style, but yeah I guess it is nitpicky. I'm sure it won't affect your interview if you don't button it up, but I think it shows that you know how to dress. Suits are made to be worn that way.

Men's style is not as accessorized and diverse as women's style and because of that there are a lot of "rules" in men's style that are extremely detail oriented. I guess because clothing in men's style is so similar, it's important to do the little things right. :)

I'm a dude, and I wore my suit completely buttoned. I didn't know if that had any connotations at the time. I only did it because the wind was flapping my tie around and it was annoying (when we were touring the campus, etc).

Unless seated, your jacket should be buttoned, usually all but the bottom button.
When seated, your jacket should be unbuttoned - pay attention to how the middle of your jacket either bunches, if you're slender, or is strained, if you're not. When you stand, a suit jacket, unlike other jackets, isn't tailored to be worn unbuttoned.
To the extent that you are interviewing for a job, one in which you will be constantly evaluated based upon the character you present, you should pay attention to how others perceive you. People who wear suits often will typically know how a suit should be worn, and people who don't, but spend a lot of time evaluating other people (interviewing, assessing) will at least recognize well-kempt vs. overly-casual.

Unless seated, your jacket should be buttoned, usually all but the bottom button.
When seated, your jacket should be unbuttoned - pay attention to how the middle of your jacket either bunches, if you're slender, or is strained, if you're not. When you stand, a suit jacket, unlike other jackets, isn't tailored to be worn unbuttoned.
To the extent that you are interviewing for a job, one in which you will be constantly evaluated based upon the character you present, you should pay attention to how others perceive you. People who wear suits often will typically know how a suit should be worn, and people who don't, but spend a lot of time evaluating other people (interviewing, assessing) will at least recognize well-kempt vs. overly-casual.

Shrugs, if I get a rejection from one of my interviews and I call to ask why and they tell me it's because my suit jacket wasn't properly buttoned, then I'll start to worry about things like that.

This thread is as ridiculous as those "Is it OK to use contractions in your personal statement?" threads. FYI I used contractions liberally and I have interviews at Harvard and Hopkins. ADCOMS aren't going to reject you for not buttoning your jacket. Worry about more important things like learning about the school and being aware of current issues in medicine.

This thread is as ridiculous as those "Is it OK to use contractions in your personal statement?" threads. FYI I used contractions liberally and I have interviews at Harvard and Hopkins. ADCOMS aren't going to reject you for not buttoning your jacket. Worry about more important things like learning about the school and being aware of current issues in medicine.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to dress professionally. :p I mean, there has to be some place to talk about the little things. :)

Personally, I like my suit buttoned. It gives a more slick look. With that said, only your facial expressions and body language will show if you're uptight or not.

Personally, I like my suit buttoned. It gives a more slick look. With that said, only your facial expressions and body language will show if you're uptight or not.

http://suitupp.wordpress.com/2008/09/03/should-i-button-up-my-suit/

I think unbuttoned is the way to go. I've found that whenever I walk into an interview the ones with their suits unbuttoned are the most laid back. Also it's true that your demeanor and body language is more important but buttoning up your suit might give someone the impression that you're too serious and not very approachable. However you should do whatever you're used to or whatever makes you look/act more comfortable and confident....if you're fiddling with your buttons every time you sit or stand and adjusting your suit then you'll look very uncomfortable.

Also at my last interview this one kid had his suit buttoned with the bottom button unbuttoned and his tie was showing from the bottom....he looked like a complete clown and looked very uncomfortable in the suit.

Also at my last interview this one kid had his suit buttoned with the bottom button unbuttoned and his tie was showing from the bottom....he looked like a complete clown and looked very uncomfortable in the suit.

That's not all that strange. Your tie should come to about the first 1/3 to 1/2 of your belt. Depending on the cut of the suit, the way you're moving, etc, if you don't button the bottom button, there's a chance the tie will show a little bit. Now if his tie was hanging down in front of his fly, that's a different story...

I took my jacket off at an interview: Accepted, mwahahahahaha. But I agree, buttoned standing up (sans the bottom button) and unbuttoned sitting down. If you don't unbutton when you sit down it looks horrific (bumps and bulges everywhere).

That's not all that strange. Your tie should come to about the first 1/3 to 1/2 of your belt. Depending on the cut of the suit, the way you're moving, etc, if you don't button the bottom button, there's a chance the tie will show a little bit. Now if his tie was hanging down in front of his fly, that's a different story...

Haha I dunno man. If I saw a guy wearing a suit where his tie was protruding from the helm of his coat...I'd probably laugh. So would the interviewer, at least in his head. Gosh that's a nightmare.

If anything - wearing a suit from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. was one of the most uncomfortable things I've ever had to do. Did anyone else have a perpetual wedgie the entire day? Seriously - no amount of adjustment on my part solved the problem. Well I suppose I realize now that wearing a suit all the time pretty much amounts to the feeling of having a stick up your posterior...and possibly contributes to some of the behavior that we see from our lovely corporate overlords.

Haha I dunno man. If I saw a guy wearing a suit where his tie was protruding from the helm of his coat...I'd probably laugh. So would the interviewer, at least in his head. Gosh that's a nightmare.

Like I said, it depends on the cut of the suit and what you're doing.

obama-flag.png

Oh that's actually not bad at all. I was envisioning a situation where the suit is fully buttoned, and the tie is like actually longer than the coat. A tad more silly and far more unlikely to happen.

If anything - wearing a suit from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. was one of the most uncomfortable things I've ever had to do. Did anyone else have a perpetual wedgie the entire day? Seriously - no amount of adjustment on my part solved the problem. Well I suppose I realize now that wearing a suit all the time pretty much amounts to the feeling of having a stick up your posterior...and possibly contributes to some of the behavior that we see from our lovely corporate overlords.

A well fitted suit can actually be very comfortable. :)

I always do the two top buttons of my suit, because if I don't my suit hangs out funny in the front. This is because I have a 42 barrel chest and a 32 waistline. My suit isn't tailored, and its hard to come by one who is designed for that kind of difference.

Top buttoned, leave bottom unbuttoned for a 2 button suit.

However, as you sit down, you should unbutton both.