Suit Colors for girls????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmk47

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do all girls wear grey or black colored suits? Would a beige/tan skirt suit be inappropriate?? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

as long as its not neon yellow/green/orange..... I think you should be fine.
You should be able to dress nice and professional.. that's all.

Do all girls wear grey or black colored suits? Would a beige/tan skirt suit be inappropriate?? Thanks!

Just stick to the black and white combination and you will be worry free about this issue.

Members don't see this ad :)

I think a beige suit is very chic and elegant!

I think the black suit/white shirt is very boring. I've worn it before to an interview (not med school, for a resident advisor position in college) and I felt stiff and uncomfortable because of the boring colors.

It's all about what you pair it with. As long as your jewelry, shoes, purse, blouse are all classy you'll be fine. Just make sure the beige/tan doesnt make you look washed out.

But the most inportant thing is how you feel in the suit and that it has a flattering cut and/or has been altered to look good on your body! If the clothes you are wearing make you feel 100% like yourself while still being able to see yourself as a sucessful dentist/physician/whatever (one day!), then you're good to go. If you try to wear something that you think the interview panel will like but makes you feel awkward, then that awkwardness will come across during the interview.

As part of UCLA SMDEP we received a presentation on admission process etiquette by the director of admissions of the med school, which included interview dress code. During the presentation we were told to go with neutral colors only, stockings are a must if you are wearing a skirt, minimal make up and jewelry, shoes must be closed toed, hair and nails neatly groomed. I have a gorgeous ivory suit which I was planning on wearing for interviews (I would consider ivory a neutral). After the presentation, concerned that my suit may not be appropriate, I went up to the director of admissions and specifically asked whether an ivory suit would be appropriate. Her response -- no! At an interview, you do not want to stand out for what you are wearing. I know what you are saying about feeling stuffy in a black suit, but you have to find a way to make it your own yet still look professional. Adding a colored blouse or pretty earrings is ok but otherwise suck it up.