Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Suit Prices???

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Scooby Doo, Aug 25, 2001.

1. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats
    10+ Year Member

I was just wondering how much everyone spent on suits here?
    I just got back from Men's Wearhouse and let's just say I am flat broke now!
    I bought:
    The suit, the shoes, the tie, the shirt, the socks, the belt..and had to have alterations on the suit..
    I am wondering if I am getting ripped off or what? But let's just say this cost was more than half my AMCAS primary application fee.

What's the price everyone is spending on suits out there?

2. pre-hawkdoc

pre-hawkdoc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I bought all the same stuff today---dropped a little under 500 bones. but, my parents paid for it, and i made sure i bought one that will never (at least while it still fits) go out of style.
    I hear your frustrations, but I think it's just another one of the necessary evils associated with this whole process.

3. hmmm evils associated :D

dont u think ur suit will kind of last u at least another 3 years...god forbid u can actually use it in a formal ceremony of sorts :D

mine was around 600, everything.....and I am such a freakin paranoid, I am wondering if I should have a back up suit, just in case it gets lost, destroyed or ruined :oops:

those amcas pple have really played with my nerves

4. 6-8 Weeks

6-8 Weeks Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Wow, do we have to be that formal? I just got very stylish and comfortable slacks from banana republic and some nice shirts from there as well. $200 for 1 slacks 2 shirts. I already have a blazer, tie and shoes at home and hopefully this should suffice. In any event, I will most likely be wearing the pants, shirt and tie without a blazer, professional and still very comfortable. I just don't like to buy a whole "suit" when I can mix and match my pants and shirts for a better looking combination that I can switch around and wear to several other occassions. There's no need to blow $600, that's like 4-5 professional outfits for me.

5. Legend

Legend Super Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I spent about 3 days looking for the right size. I didn't realize it was so difficult to find a suit for a tall and thin man like me. I ended up spending around $1500 CDN for everything. I really hope I get to use it.

6. Scooby Doo

10+ Year Member

MIne was $700 for the whole thing. I have never really had to dress up. And all the alterations they had to do added on it :(.
    But it's a really nice suit.

7. Trek

Trek Grand Uranium Member
    7+ Year Member

Wow! That's a lot of cash. For me it's tuff to get clothes as i'm 5'11" but 220lbs. So i have to get those rare 'athletic fit' clothes and have them let out damn near every seam. But still, i got a suit for $195 (reduced from 400), had a shirt and shoes. I really think that spendin over 700 is overkill, esp for interviews.

Another question: what style is everyone getting? I got a Jones New York 3 button, single breast suit. The guy there (since i'm not much of a suit-wearer) said it was conservative, which is what i want- not interested in standing out b/c of the suit. It also has very small pinstripes on a grey background. let me know what everyone is doing...

8. Scooby Doo

10+ Year Member

Hey Trek,
    That sounds like a great deal you got. I was looking at the JNY suits but they were a little too tight for me and I didn't like the fit as well. I got something called like Paul Dione or something like that. I don't know exactly cuz they kept it for fitting. It's a dark navy blue with lighter blue (not pinstripe cuz it's not that)..but like a tone on tone type of style but really fine line pinstrip I guess you might say. I have never been a fan of pin stripe. I definitely went with the THREE BUTTON and SINGLE breasted suit style.
    I got a creme colored shirt (off white I guess) and a pretty cool tie that is conservative but has an interesting look to it. Almost like a shiny snake skin. :)
    Should I just go with a straight color tie?
    Jeez, I think we are worrying too much about this. But after all, impressions are EVERYTHING.

9. Smoke This

Smoke This Sweet cuppin' cakes!
    10+ Year Member

JNY 3-button, single-breasted suit, huh? We must shop at the same store. ;) However, I paid like $400 for the suit, and that was in an after-Christmas sale. Where did I go wrong? :( As a small consolation, it was tailored at Dayton's where I bought it free of charge. It's a beautiful suit, navy blue, with cuffed slacks to match. I've got a pair of square-toed leather shoes, a black leather belt, and I'm thinking of a white shirt but I have several dress shirts of different colors already to choose from, and several ties. I think the whole ensemble cost around $600.

10. Trek

7+ Year Member

Hey scoob,
    yeah, i think i do know what you're talking about, and they look slick for sure. As for ties - i would go with what a pro (ie. the salesperson says). Although they are trying to sell you the sh!t, they do know what looks good. I was looking at ties and he came over and pulled one out and when i wore it, it looked good with the suit. Mine looked kinda stupid, so i went with his. It also had that snake skin look like you said - shiny with almost scales on it. Looks decent tho. Best of luck to ya!

11. Trek

7+ Year Member

Smoke- i must've lucked out most definitely. he said that type (athletic fit) aren't too popular, so JNY were blowing them out. I just found the tag and it was reduced from 425 to 195! It doesn't look out of style, so heck, i'll take the price cut! I've got a feeling the next few months, my residency interviews, and when i get married will be the ONLY time i'll ever wear this crap! Hopefully this suit will last for the first two occasions. I'm thinkin of dieting off some of this mass too, which would make this suit almost like a tarp on me!

12. Mossjoh

Mossjoh Mayo Clinic-PGY2
    10+ Year Member

I guess we all went shopping lately. I went and bought a black suit, 3 buttons, with black pants and a white shirt, redish tie (has a design on it), and I bought a belt and socks. I didnt' get shoes yet, I looked at the shoes and saw the price, my jaw dropped and I said heck no, I'll go somewhere else.

Anyway, spent $380

Mossjoh

13. synite

synite Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

oh my god!! :eek:

i would never ever think of spending that kind of cash on a suit solely for these interviews. sure, i have a decent suit/shirt combination, but it's something i've had for a couple years. it never even crossed my mind to buy something only for these interviews. isn't this overkill? maybe i am seriously in the minority here, but i think you should look nice, but not like you just stepped out of a GQ magazine. crap maybe i need to think about this again..

14. Scooby Doo

10+ Year Member

Some of my friends said I was crazy. My dad said "It's an investment, I trust your use of money...I want you to buy something that will last, but nothing that is super expensive..."so I think I got a decent suit that will hopefully fit me for some time to come.
    I have talked to a couple other people on this forum who have purchased $450 suits and one who paid about $700 as well.

For me, I have always borrowed my one friends sports coat and his suit pants, his ties, and his shoes! haha...So I mean, the only thing I had was socks (not even really) and my own boxers. everytihng else was his! So, I think it's time for me to finally shell out a little money and purchase a suit. After all, we ARE becoming professionals. I have decided not to tell any of my friends (as of now) how much I bought the suit for...they don't understand...They are still in college and not thinking along the same lines as me.

15. Trek

7+ Year Member

Snyite- i think the deal is- most of us just don't have anything period. I've never had a suit (no need until now), and for anything, wore a blazer and slacks. I think the time came where I just bit the bullet and bought one. I agree, some of the prices are high, but still, if it lasts 5-7 years, isn't that worth it??

16. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i'd have to agree--if you're going to drop a few hundred bucks for a suit, spend a little more and get something high-quality that you can consider an investment. a cheap suit will fall apart and then it's several hundred dollars down the drain. might as well spend the money and get something good.

i thought men's wearhouse did alterations for free?

17. simpleton

simpleton Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Good-Call Sandflea, I bought a Brooks Brother Suit from an outlet store. I recommend for all you athletic cut people to go to a suit store where you buy the jacket separate from the pants. This way you select the right size for you and don't have to get stuck with one or the other not fitting right. In fact I bought slacks and jacket for $250 and it fit perfectly w/o alterations. Also Brooks Brother is known for their nice conservative suits. Hey your intiviewer is probably wearing one. My shoes actually cost almost as much as my jacket but I couldn't pass up a good deal. They are cole-Hanns marked down from $350 to $135. It's worth it to me because they are comfy and look sweet. Good Luck and be patient when searching for the right suit

18. Georgey

Georgey Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I planned ahead and bought a winter suit at Brooks Brothers way back at the end of last winter so I got it at %50 off. I paid $250 for it. I already had the shoes so I just had to pay for the suit itself.

19. saffron

saffron Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

on the subject of clothes...what are girls supposed to where for these things? A conservative skirt suit or something along those lines? My first interview is a couple weeks, so I'm going shopping next week...any suggestions?

20. Mystique

Mystique The Procrastinator
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    saffron,

I would recommend a skirt suit. On the other hand, I'm not sure if that would be most appropriate if you were interviewing in the Northwest Territories in -30F weather. Some interviewers may look disfavorably upon a female wearing a pant suit. I personally know of an assistant dean who does NOT look at girls who wear pant suits. Yet, I went ahead and bought one that was conservative yet stylish. I guess I'm not helping out much, but go with what is most comfortable to you. Just make sure that it's a decent length and a conservative color - no lime-green or hot pink. ;)

21. ewells

ewells Big Daddy
    7+ Year Member

6-8 weeks, a blazer and slacks combination is a bad idea. I have been to every premed and interview seminar that I could get to, and every single speaker said don't do it. This kind of consensus

22. ewells

ewells Big Daddy
    7+ Year Member

is significant (sorry, I got up to chase the boy around our apartment and forgot that I had not finished my reply :D ).