Suits at good prices? Where?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Bruin4Life, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Bruin4Life

Bruin4Life Senior Member

I was checking out the Men's Warehouse and the average price for a nice suit is $300, not including everything else. I would proably spend about $600 bucks if I buy the whole thing there including shoes. Anyone know of a cheaper store?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. UCMonkey

UCMonkey Senior Member

JC Penney! Found a suit for $150 over Thanksgiving. Not sure if they still have that sale going on, though, but definitely worth a shot.

Also Dillards (if you have one nearby) - I got a $400 Tommy Hilfiger suit for a little over $200. (That's the one I'm actually going to wear.) The trick here is to get a salesperson to show you what they have on sale.

In general, though many major department stores should be having holiday sales.

4. Firebird

Firebird 1K Member

Suits are one of those things that, generally with regard to quality, you get what you pay for.

However, I think you could definitely get a suit cheaper than $600, and still get s fairly good quality.

You might check for sales in your area, or the closest metropolitan community. I got a Tommy Hilfiger suit at Dillard's for about $250-$350 once...normally it would have been around $550-$650, I think...and that's just the coat and pants.

That is what you call a deal.

Check around...some places have annual suit sales and the prices are incredibly discounted.

5. Firebird

Firebird 1K Member

Ok Monkey....talk about irony. When I posted my message, yours hadn't come up yet! In fact, when I read yours, I thought SDN had screwed up and posted my message overtop of yours.

I guess Dillard's does a lot of bargaining with Hilfiger!

6. UCMonkey

UCMonkey Senior Member

LOL Firebird. Just read yours and thought it was mine repeated for some weird SDN reason. You're right about one thing, though. That $150 suit at JC Penneys definitely felt like a $150 suit, if you know what I mean. The Hilfiger suit felt much better (my dad said he liked it a lot better too.).

7. Coalboy

Coalboy Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Joseph A. Banks often has incredible deals on suits. I got mine, a really nice cashmere suit, for something like $200. If there is one in your area (check <a href="http://www.josbank.com)," target="_blank">www.josbank.com),</a> you should check them out.

8. KyGrlDr2B

I bought a suit for $300 and looked at it as an investment. I looked around for a cheaper one, but they all just LOOKED cheaper too. I ended up getting a really nice one and I felt damn good when I went into my interviews. Of course, I was kinda rushed to get one because I had an October interview so I didn't get to wait around on sales.

But anyway, this suit won't get worn again for awhile, but I think I'll definitely get more use out of it. I got a traditional black one just for that reason.

9. postbacchus

postbacchus Senior Member

If you're in SoCal - 3 Day Suit brokers. I paid $100 for a suit there that lasted as long as the last suit I bought at Men's Wearhouse for $350.

10. lake show

lake show Senior Member

you live in cali, i assume by the bruin reference? if so, i suggest macy's. i got a few suits there and if you go on the weekend, they always have a lot of sales going on. i think you can get a decent suit for $250-400, especially now with the christmas holiday sales. if you're looking for the whole deal (shirt, tie, shoes, suit), it'll run you from $400-600. but, it's an investment that you'll use for a long time. don't skimp on a cheap suit that'll bust in a few years.

11. THE instiGATOR

THE instiGATOR Cow Tipper

It must be nice to have options. I am a tall (6'4") guy who is on the slender side.

Let me state this one for the record: The person who came up with the Big & Tall chain is a moron. Had he/she elected to make a Big OR Tall store instead, much more money could have been made.

I searched high and low and was only able to find one suit that fit where I live (short notice, so no time for tailoring). It was pretty expensive.

12. Bruin4Life

Bruin4Life Senior Member

You guys are awesome. Thanks to each one of you that took the time to reply with suggestions. The nearest dillards is a good 2 hour drive from my house so it's a little too far. Like a couple of you guys assumed, yes I'm in Southern Ca., and luckily there's a 3-day suit broker relatively close to where I live. I'll check it out tomorrow and I'll keep the other places you guys suggested in mind. Hey swapman, that was funny about the whole big & tall stores. that's the sad fact, cloths are made for the average or ideal body shapes. keep the suggestions comming if you guys have any. thanks

13. Szkwicz

Szkwicz Senior Member

In all seriousness, you should check out JC Penney.
    I got a great suit, shoes, tie, dress shirt, everything for under $300.
    They were running a sale where if you spent over 200 bucks you got 30% off of your entire purchase...I made out like a bandit.

14. simpleton

simpleton Senior Member

Hell yeah olympic. I bought a Brooks Brothers suit at their outlet store for like $200 (just jacket and pants). The only difference is the thread count. It's a damn nice suit and very comfortable. The nice thing is that you select the pants and jacket seperatly that way you can get the precise size you need usually without alterations. Let me tell you how hard it is to find a nice suit at Dillards that will fit me, 44 jacket, 32 pants. You can't get something like that at a cheap department store. And like olympic said girls like a guy with taste.

15. nitemagi

nitemagi Senior Member
    Physician Faculty

Attending Physician
    Always look for places going out of business. 85% off BABY!!! 1000 dollar suit for $150. Can't beat it with a stick :D :D :D

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. lake show

lake show Senior Member

suits usually have a 6 inch drop in jacket to pant. so if you are a 42 chest, then the pant for that suit would be 36. for sizes under 40 chest though, it's a 7 inch drop. there are also some suits, that have athletic fits, meaning there's an 8 inch drop, for those tall and slender peps.

also, like simpleton is saying, many stores carry suit separates now. it's a suit, but you can purchase the jacket and pant separately, plus the pants are hemmed so that you don't have to wait for a tailor. in cali, i know that macy's carries this...try beverly center for a large selection. some of the higher end people (nordstrom, saks, bloomies) probably don't though.

18. ssd

ssd Senior Member

bruin,

i second the 3-day suit broker suggestion. i got a suit from there that is very nice, and it cost me about $200. another good thing about them is that they will tailor the suit for you that day, a very important quality if you are really pressed for time. i thought about the brooks brothers outlet thing, but i didn't want to have to take the suit somewhere else to have it tailored. they recently had the suits at brook brothers in camarillo for $250.

19. IlliniEMT1

IlliniEMT1 Member

Medical Student
    I had a really good experience at mens wearhouse. After I picked a suit that I really liked, the guy told me he had one that looked very similar for much cheaper, and I ended up spending $275, plus 30 for alterations. It was all very low pressure, and the people there have a very good eye- if youre fashion challenged like me. Plus they picked out a nice tie, and shirt- so it was 1-stop shopping.
    total outfit cost $410

20. PST

PST Junior Member

Any suggestions for females?