Summa Health, Akron, OH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maui

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am quite intrigued by this program. I have an interview there soon. Impressive website. New cardiac care facility. Consistently in many subspecs in the top 100 US hospital lists. It is just a small affiliated program, but despite its being tops in services and facilities, it failed to fill up its match slots last year. Anyone with info? Scutwork.com rating okay, but of course we don't know who gave that assessment.

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

i've actually heard the that hospital is pretty good - not outstanding, mind you, but pretty good. i don't know much about the IM program though...

i've been to akron before, not the greatest place to live...perhaps this is why the program is unmatched?

I'm a 4th year from Northeastern Ohio Univ and although I did my third year at another campus, I know from several of my classmates that Summa is a good option for those that want a community hospital with relatively good subspecialty experience. There are also medical students there from Northeastern Ohio (NEOUCOM.edu) and the ABIM pass rate is something in the low 80s.

If you want a better shot at fellowships, then may be a university program would give you the more flexibility/connections. But from Summa, you can still go into the subspecialties if that's what you want. Hope this helps.

Matt

Members don't see this ad :)
Summa is by far one of the top IM programs in the country with strong attendings and residents and plenty of opportunity for patient care and lots of procedures.
All of our residents feel they have had a much better training experience than their university counterparts as they move on to fellowship. Most of us have come to cherish the time we spent at Summa realizing it is one of the best places to train in the nation. It is true that a program with no fellows affords better opportunities and more independence in patient care with lots of opportunities for procedures.
We all got the fellowships we wanted
2 pulm/CCM St Louis and Nebraska
2 Nephro Cincinatti
1 Cardio Ohio State
1 Rheum UH cleveland
1 GI CCF for research and UH for clinical
1 ID University of South Florida
1 Endo at NIH bethesda, MD
1 chief who will pursue HIV/AIDS clinic at Summa
2 private practice
1 locum tenens applying for heme/onc this year
So that solves the fellowship issue. It does have a university affiliation with NEOUCOM.

It is really a great place to train and I can't say enough great things about the program and the attendings.
Alot of other perks as well. They are building more new facilities every day including the new cath lab and office suites. THey are building a new critical care tower. And it continues to grow.

Great call shedules. This year there are so many interns that their call has been 3-4 calls a month on most services.
Great free food with no limit and great free parking.
Hope you check out summa!
It is leaps and bounds better than CCF. Can't comment on UConn.
Akron can be a little dreary at times. But there are alot of things to do in the area. THEre is a great night life and college campus within walking distance.
GOODLUCK!!

Thank you, Omaha. I really enjoyed my interview there...even had a jacuzzi in the hotel, and had a wonderful dinner at this chic restaurant. Residents all seemed happy, attendings seemed to love teaching, facilities awesome, and and PD was really great. Great benefit package and low cost of living. It is really just the place, which is more attractive to couples with families and children, because it seems a single person would be sort of out of place, and would have nothing much to do. Otherwise, it is really a very attractive program.