ERAS Common Application Form with your CV
Personal Statement
Minimum 3 letters of recommendation
Dean’s Letter and/or MSPE
Medical School Academic Transcript
USMLE transcript (Step I and/or Step II) –preferred score of 230 or higher
COMLEX minimum passing score of 650
International applications-we will only consider a J1 Visa-no exceptions

We interview approximately 40 candidates throughout November and January.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: samac and Ho0v-man

ritts

2+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Requirements & Documentation submitted though ERAS:
ERAS Common Application Form with your CV
Personal Statement
Minimum 3 letters of recommendation
Dean’s Letter and/or MSPE
Medical School Academic Transcript
USMLE transcript (Step I and/or Step II) –preferred score of 230 or higher
COMLEX minimum passing score of 650
International applications-we will only consider a J1 Visa-no exceptions

We interview approximately 40 candidates throughout November and January.

They want the ultimate bone wizards. 650 is 90th percentile, 230 is 47th percentile.

About the Ads

Rekt

5+ Year Member
May 29, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I mean if you're going Ortho I'd expect you to be in the 650 range at least. They're obviously dumb and Summa is a terrible hospital, but I'm hoping people aren't thinking they're going Ortho with a 500. That's how people in my class became familiar with the SOAP.

Sardonix

7+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Translation: “No DOs please”
No DOs please would be demanding qualifications wildly outside the expectations of every other program. Like Rekt said below your comment, 650 doesn't sound all that abnormal for an ortho applicant. Hell, half my EM friends this year had middle 600s for their level 2. No one cared though because all the PDs were looking at their Step2 scores.

DameJulie

2+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Is their cut off serious and strict? I read on another thread that program score cut offs aren't absolute death sentence

frenchyn

7+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2012
Status
Is their cut off serious and strict? I read on another thread that program score cut offs aren't absolute death sentence
Nope even at top programs with 240 cut off...if you have like 20-30 good pubs or they like you enough they would take you.

DarkHorizon

10+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Nope even at top programs with 240 cut off...if you have like 20-30 good pubs or they like you enough they would take you.
that’s a bit of a loaded statement, how many applicants have 20-30 publicTions? Probably less than 10 in a given application year. Also, there are absolutely programs out there with 250+ cut offs for non rotators. In fact, i did my trauma rotation as a Resident at a top MD Program. They were notorious number ******, 260+ plus for non rotators, 250+ to rotate if you were an outside student, unless you wrote a compelling statement to ask them why you wanted to rotate there, in which case was a 240+. 230+ for home students. Talking to their residents, it appeared that they were not the only program doing this.

frenchyn

7+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2012
Status
that’s a bit of a loaded statement, how many applicants have 20-30 publicTions? Probably less than 10 in a given application year. Also, there are absolutely programs out there with 250+ cut offs for non rotators. In fact, i did my trauma rotation as a Resident at a top MD Program. They were notorious number ******, 260+ plus for non rotators, 250+ to rotate if you were an outside student, unless you wrote a compelling statement to ask them why you wanted to rotate there, in which case was a 240+. 230+ for home students. Talking to their residents, it appeared that they were not the only program doing this.
I was just saying 240 cut off set by a program is not hard cut off...aka programs are willing to make exception case by case basic as long as you make a compelling case lol...IMG who want to match into competitive specialty spend 2-3 years prior to match...plenty of them have 20-30 pubs...definitely more than 10 per year lol...I indeed know someone at #2 top program matched there w 220 but excellent researcher and IMG...I am not saying it happens a lot but it is not hard cut off.

Aug 22, 2019
I indeed know someone at #2 top program matched there w 220 but excellent researcher and IMG...I am not saying it happens a lot but it is not hard cut off.

Bill Gates quit college and he is a billionaire right now. Sure it happens. But for every 1000s that try very few make it.

Some of this process requires bit of luck and connections not just stats on paper. Connections you can work on but luck I guess you can pray for :?

DarkHorizon

10+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
nice humble brag
i see how it came off as such, but I didn’t mean to brag. My bad. What I was saying is 650 is pretty much around average for people getting in these days. A 650 is by no means a guarantee that you’ll get a spot anywhere. There are many many candidates with 700+ and some even in 800s.

cookiegrub

2+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Bill Gates quit college and he is a billionaire right now. Sure it happens. But for every 1000s that try very few make it.

Some of this process requires bit of luck and connections not just stats on paper. Connections you can work on but luck I guess you can pray for :?
also gates came from a privileged background, so don't count yourself among the exceptional unless you have something similar going for you

About the Ads