Summer 1yr Organic Chem in the Bay Area (CA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twofish

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to find a school to take the full year of Orgo 1 and 2 during this summer. Has anyone done somethin like this in the bay area (northern cali) before? If so, which school is it and how is the experience? Thanks much for any comments in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

twofish said:
Hi, I'm trying to find a school to take the full year of Orgo 1 and 2 during this summer. Has anyone done somethin like this in the bay area (northern cali) before? If so, which school is it and how is the experience? Thanks much for any comments in advance.

I think Davis offers it but there terms go into the middle of September.

I know that Harvard offers a year of Orgo in 8 weeks. Maybe you can give it a look.

thanks for your reply, I will look into the UC davis program.

Anyone in the board have taken 1yr orgo in San Fran State University during summer? (SFSU), Santa Clara University or any bay area schools?
I live close to Oakland and I'm trying desperately to find a place to finish orgo in the summer in the bay area.
Any input is appreciated.

icebrat001 said:

I know that Harvard offers a year of Orgo in 8 weeks. Maybe you can give it a look.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply, I will look into the davis program, though Davis maybe a little too far from where I live. I'm looking for some schools in SF or south bay for the summer 1yr orgo classes.

Any advice is welcomed.

icebrat001 said:

twofish said:
Thanks for your reply, I will look into the davis program, though Davis maybe a little too far from where I live. I'm looking for some schools in SF or south bay for the summer 1yr orgo classes.

Any advice is welcomed.

As you noticed I live in walnut creek, not to far from you, If you have any luck finding a summer session aside from Davis that offers this, i'd love to hear about it. :luck:

Santa Clara University offers a summer 1yr program in Orgo, Chem, and Physics. I think chemistry has lab, physics does not.

It lasts for 9 weeks starting June 13. I am not sure if they allow you to take two lab 1yrs at the same time -- you should call and ask.

You can find more about it here:
http://www.scu.edu/summer/
(408) 554-4318

Their catalog and registration stuff should come out in a few weeks.

I did not do the 1 year summer program. I already had 1yr physics, some chem, and 1 sem of orgo. So instead I enrolled in the Winter and Spring semesters (Jan-Jun) as a non-matriculant and took Orgo II and III, Molecular Bio w/Lab, and Genetics w/Lab. Basically, I took 2/3 year of Bio w/lab and Orgo w/lab.

I also took a 3 week Physiology course over the summer, which in retrospect was a waste of time because I didn't learn a whole lot and it wasn't a factor in my medical school admission. (It wasn't a factor because my transcripts went to AMCAS before the grade was posted, and I never needed to send a transcript update.)

I really enjoyed the regular term classes. Grading was fair, and the other students had no problems working with someone slightly older.

I took the April MCAT and a Kaplan course during my time at SCU, and I also kept working full time in Mountain View, with irregular hours. Taking the MCAT in the middle of classes was absolutely the right choice. I was very well prepared between the orgo/bio courseload and the Saturday Kaplan test simulations at Foothill College.

Summer 2004 cost $180/unit, whatever that means. For 2 courses (half load) during the regular year, it's now about $6K/quarter:
http://www.scu.edu/bursar/tuition/index.cfm

As for results -- I got a high GPA from SCU and finished the premed requirements. I ended up with admission offers from several top schools. I'm very happy I chose SCU.

I think that scu is a great place. I took there o-chem during the summer. Just make sure you take it from the SCU professorrs (not someone from a different school who they hired just for the summer). The SCU O-chem professors are GREAT, AWESOME, (other adj that means the same as great).
For the pervious poster, did you think that they UD bio classes were hard?
I heard that molecular was really HARD, genetics was the same thing but with a bad professor. is that true?

BTW, if you want to take physics over the summer, scu is the place to do it. A professor from another school comes in and the class is great.

Theres lave for both classes. O-chem is 10 hrs/week but the labs are easier and you usually finish before the "quarter ends"

Thanks a lot for your guys' input. lazgirl24, what is the tuition for the whole summer's orgo chem class in SCU (plus lab). thanks again!

lazgirl24 said:
I think that scu is a great place. I took there o-chem during the summer. Just make sure you take it from the SCU professorrs (not someone from a different school who they hired just for the summer). The SCU O-chem professors are GREAT, AWESOME, (other adj that means the same as great).
I heard that molecular was really HARD, genetics was the same thing but with a bad professor. is that true?

BTW, if you want to take physics over the summer, scu is the place to do it. A professor from another school comes in and the class is great.

Theres lave for both classes. O-chem is 10 hrs/week but the labs are easier and you usually finish before the "quarter ends"

twofish said:
Thanks a lot for your guys' input. lazgirl24, what is the tuition for the whole summer's orgo chem class in SCU (plus lab). thanks again!
its $180 per a unit. 5 units/quarter. Lab fee is $75/quarter.

lazgirl24 said:

I went to SCU as an undergrad and this is the first time I've seen SCU getting any love on SDN. It's a tiny school, I know, but the education at SCU is fantastic. Well worth the high price! I'm not sure who's still teaches O-chem there but Carrasco & McNelis are great. :thumbup:

NorCalGirl said:
I went to SCU as an undergrad and this is the first time I've seen SCU getting any love on SDN. It's a tiny school, I know, but the education at SCU is fantastic. Well worth the high price! I'm not sure who's still teaches O-chem there but Carrasco & McNelis are great. :thumbup:
they still teach o-chem and i think they are two of the most well-loved professors.

you can just as easily take summer classes at cal (im not sure what the cost is, but i think it's something like what was previously posted about scu), and plus, cal's curriculum helps a lot when it comes to prepping for mcats (mcat o-chem is a joke after taking courses here, as i am sure it is at most schools)

ktsou said:
you can just as easily take summer classes at cal (im not sure what the cost is, but i think it's something like what was previously posted about scu), and plus, cal's curriculum helps a lot when it comes to prepping for mcats (mcat o-chem is a joke after taking courses here, as i am sure it is at most schools)

the o-chem at scu is really good when taught by scu professors. I believe that the class here preps you very well for the mcat (from what i heard at school and from those who took the class).
No offense ktsou, but i just want ppl to know that scu has a very challenging curriculum. We have great classes and great professors.

while im sure scu has great classes, i dont think it can compete with cal's curriculum, just my opinion (i have many friend who go to scu so i get plently of feedback)

ktsou said:
while im sure scu has great classes, i dont think it can compete with cal's curriculum, just my opinion (i have many friend who go to scu so i get plently of feedback)

That's a little unfair. But whatever. Moving on!

ktsou said:

Just wondering, are your "many friend" that go to SCU and give you feedback from the business school? Because I would agree with you that the business school students don't work all that hard.

I am in med school and I have many classmates from Cal, and from talking with them, I gather that while Cal's classes may be more difficult to get a high grade in, the educational experience is not nearly as good as I had at a smaller, less recognized school.

Also, I've noticed that people who did undergrad at Cal are almost always very impressed with themselves because they went to Cal. They always have this need to tell eveyone how great Cal is and compare it to other schools (especially Stanford). But despite all the talk of how great Cal is, the students who did undergrad there don't seem to be any better prepared than the rest of us. In fact, of the 7 students who were recognized with awards for being the at the top of the class in the first 2 years of med school, 2 were from Stanford, 3 were from SCU or similar schools (USD, loyola marymount), one from UCLA, and one from UCSD. Not that this "proves" anything, but it is good circumstantial evidence that smaller schools prepare their students better. Especially since ~70% of my class is from a UC, and the most are from Berkeley.

DHMO said:
Just wondering, are your "many friend" that go to SCU and give you feedback from the business school? Because I would agree with you that the business school students don't work all that hard.

I am in med school and I have many classmates from Cal, and from talking with them, I gather that while Cal's classes may be more difficult to get a high grade in, the educational experience is not nearly as good as I had at a smaller, less recognized school.

Also, I've noticed that people who did undergrad at Cal are almost always very impressed with themselves because they went to Cal. They always have this need to tell eveyone how great Cal is and compare it to other schools (especially Stanford). But despite all the talk of how great Cal is, the students who did undergrad there don't seem to be any better prepared than the rest of us. In fact, of the 7 students who were recognized with awards for being the at the top of the class in the first 2 years of med school, 2 were from Stanford, 3 were from SCU or similar schools (USD, loyola marymount), one from UCLA, and one from UCSD. Not that this "proves" anything, but it is good circumstantial evidence that smaller schools prepare their students better. Especially since ~70% of my class is from a UC, and the most are from Berkeley.

I totally agree with DHMO. I truely believe that that smaller schools better prep students for grad school.

DHMO said:

Yes, us "CAL" people are deeply infatuated with ourselves...lol. :laugh:

lazgirl24 said:
The SCU O-chem professors are GREAT, AWESOME, (other adj that means the same as great).

absolutely; Carrasco and McNelis are fantastic professors. I went to office hour every week (I was the only one, usually) and got plenty of help.

lazgirl24 said:

I took classes during winter/spring 2003, so my info is dated at this point. However, yes, I heard the same remarks from students. I did not really agree. The bio course is tough because they emphasize details; no details, no points, no grade. I thought it was fair. The genetics course had a non-SCU professor who I loved. She was teaching it for the first time. Some students hated the class because it had some first-round bumps and (again) detail-oriented tests, but most of us did fine.

pjm said:
absolutely; Carrasco and McNelis are fantastic professors. I went to office hour every week (I was the only one, usually) and got plenty of help.

I took classes during winter/spring 2003, so my info is dated at this point. However, yes, I heard the same remarks from students. I did not really agree. The bio course is tough because they emphasize details; no details, no points, no grade. I thought it was fair. The genetics course had a non-SCU professor who I loved. She was teaching it for the first time. Some students hated the class because it had some first-round bumps and (again) detail-oriented tests, but most of us did fine.

ic.. i don't think we are talking about the same professor. But i agree that the classes at scu focus a lot on detail. Not only that, you have to know how to apply the details. I haven't taken a lot of UD tho.