Summer Abroad - Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anionmouse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the summer, should I go ..
1. Go abroad for clinical research
or
2. Stay at my university, do research + take MCAT classes?
.. I know I'm thinking about this way more than I should.

The research abroad is probably going to be less structured, as I'm working alongside a Ph D student. I would also have to take MCAT classes during the fall semester instead. However, I'm really really interested in the research topic, and it involves working with psychiatry patients.

I've also been accepted to a genetics research program at my school, which is probably more structured. It's also related to the research I do during the school year. If I stay, I'd also be able to take summer MCAT classes. However, I'm not really interested in the research topic. (I enjoy the stuff I do during the school year partially because the people in the lab happen to be awesome, and I only work ~10 hours a week anyway.)

I'm heavily leaning towards going abroad, just because it's something that I've always wanted to do, but I can't tell if I'm being unreasonable/stupid about it or not. Outside perspectives would be greatly appreciated, and thank you for reading this unreasonably long post. :)

Edit- For the research abroad, I'm paid a small stipend, but I have to pay for housing + airfare. If I stay, I have to pay for housing, but I'm paid $4000 for 2 months of research.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: