Summer after first year [NYCOM]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marimba82

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question for current NYCOM students. [I just got accepted to NYCOM and I will probably be attending starting this August!]

I was wondering what is usually recommended for the summer after the first year...do students usually get internships or jobs or volunteer (or all)? How do students go about finding these opportunities and involvements and do students usually stay local, travel elsewhere in the US, or go abroad ?

I know that various schools have various recommendations but i wasn't sure if D.O. schools (NYCOM in particular) have any particular advice for their students about that first summer!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The most important thing is getting through the first year. Provided you don't have to re-take a course in the summer, it is good to try a summer research program (either thru NYCOM or other sources). If you aren't independently wealthy, try to find something that pays you as well because living in NY can be expensive. You will come across many opportunities while in school, but if you're looking for something specific (here or abroad), you may want to research programs on your own. Just enjoy the summer because it is the last free time you will have for a few years.

Good Luck!

QUOTE=Marimba82]I have a question for current NYCOM students. [I just got accepted to NYCOM and I will probably be attending starting this August!]

I was wondering what is usually recommended for the summer after the first year...do students usually get internships or jobs or volunteer (or all)? How do students go about finding these opportunities and involvements and do students usually stay local, travel elsewhere in the US, or go abroad ?

I know that various schools have various recommendations but i wasn't sure if D.O. schools (NYCOM in particular) have any particular advice for their students about that first summer!

Thanks![/QUOTE]

EReze said:
The most important thing is getting through the first year. Provided you don't have to re-take a course in the summer, it is good to try a summer research program (either thru NYCOM or other sources). If you aren't independently wealthy, try to find something that pays you as well because living in NY can be expensive. You will come across many opportunities while in school, but if you're looking for something specific (here or abroad), you may want to research programs on your own. Just enjoy the summer because it is the last free time you will have for a few years.

Thanks for the feedback, but I do have some valid (personal) reasons for asking about post year-1 summer activities this far in advance. Of course I realize that getting through the first year curriculum is most important and will trump everything else. ANd it's good to keep in mind that I might need to re-take courses over that first summer.

Anyway despite all that, my question was about summer internship/volunteer opportunities, paid or unpaid, especially abroad -- what does NYCOM recommend and what do NYCOM students do / look for? Searching the web has given me some information but I was interested in NYCOM student activities in particular, if any of you have participated in or know other students who have done good overseas , short-term programs......?

NYCOM has a summer research fellowship program that can fund between 30-40 students. They are a ton of other fellowship opportunities run through institutions in NYC (sloane kettering, various hospital programs) and through NIH in baltimore. The stipends for the NYCOM research are $1,000 fwith an 80 hour committment, then hourly wage if available. The stipends for sloane and NIH are $5,000 with an 8 week, 40 hours per week committment. A great site for finding a summer fellowship:

http://www.cosgp.aacom.org/Pages/opportunities.htm