summer after freshman year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneLove

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey i was just wondering what ya'll did the summer after your freshman year. I only decided to become premed in the latter part of my 2nd semester so I just decided to take physics I and II this summer and otherwise just relax and hang out wiht my friends.

What did you all do?

I've also been trying to find some doctors to shadow but haven';t been able to come up wiht much. I feel like the adcoms will this as a wasted summer.

Members don't see this ad.

OneLove said:
Hey i was just wondering what ya'll did the summer after your freshman year. I only decided to become premed in the latter part of my 2nd semester so I just decided to take physics I and II this summer and otherwise just relax and hang out wiht my friends.

What did you all do?

I've also been trying to find some doctors to shadow but haven';t been able to come up wiht much. I feel like the adcoms will this as a wasted summer.

Summer School and worked at a grocery store... :cool: :cool:

Hahah don't worry...relax I'd say. Adcoms don't judge summer breaks...but once you start an activity they like to see you stick with it. I personally just sat on my butt the summer after freshman year...just got to reading current events and I guess if I were you now, I'd probably look for a doctor to shadow so you can "break in" to the medical experience. If you can't find a doctor to shadow though, you can pretty much always find a volunteering position at a hospital and start by putting in a small amount of time (5 hours a week) and build your way up. Don't stress tooooo much just yet :).

Members don't see this ad :)
I volunteered in a hospital...that's about it.

Tried to study for the MCAT :laugh: What a mistake that was :oops:

DrHopeless said:
Tried to study for the MCAT :laugh: What a mistake that was :oops:

wow, summer after freshman year??

how did you guys go about finding a doctor to shadow? I've been calling hospitals but not many doctors were receptive to shadowing.

OneLove said:
how did you guys go about finding a doctor to shadow? I've been calling hospitals but not many doctors were receptive to shadowing.
I know that some hospitals have formal shadowing programs. Usually all you have to do is fill out an application indicating who you are interested in shadowing, and the director will then set you up with someone. All three of the hospitals in my city have these programs.

OneLove said:

What did you all do?

i always felt uneasy talking to people like you...always on top of things and thinking ahead, making my lazy ass feel guilty for not doing anything :oops:

it. said:
i always felt uneasy talking to people like you...always on top of things and thinking ahead, making my lazy ass feel guilty for not doing anything :oops:

summer school and volunteering.

OneLove said:

What did you all do?

i took summer school, but twice as much. govt 1 and 2 and history 1 and 2. if youre finding yourself with plenty of free time i think you should find something else to get involved in, probably come apps time you will be glad you did so you have something else to put down. perhaps take more classes, or research or a job. relaxing and hanging out with friends...its the easy thing to do but i think later you will regret it. its too early to start studying for the mcat. hey, study for the GMAT like me, then you can do an MD/MBA program! there is your solution.

Shredder said:
i took summer school, but twice as much. govt 1 and 2 and history 1 and 2. if youre finding yourself with plenty of free time i think you should find something else to get involved in, probably come apps time you will be glad you did so you have something else to put down. perhaps take more classes, or research or a job. relaxing and hanging out with friends...its the easy thing to do but i think later you will regret it. its too early to start studying for the mcat. hey, study for the GMAT like me, then you can do an MD/MBA program! there is your solution.

So is the GMAT similar to SAT or is that GRE?

Members don't see this ad :)
Will Hunting said:
So is the GMAT similar to SAT or is that GRE?
i dont know about GRE, but the GMAT is pretty similar to the SAT. theres a math section which is partially similar and partially different from the SAT, but the level of math tested is really simple, like algebra and geometry. also a verbal section that has reading passages, and sentence corrections like the PSAT--so easy i love it--plus another unique section where you have to use some logic. also a writing section, but as usual thats not counted toward the numerical score and doesnt matter a whole lot.

Shredder said:
i dont know about GRE, but the GMAT is pretty similar to the SAT. theres a math section which is partially similar and partially different from the SAT, but the level of math tested is really simple, like algebra and geometry. also a verbal section that has reading passages, and sentence corrections like the PSAT--so easy i love it--plus another unique section where you have to use some logic. also a writing section, but as usual thats not counted toward the numerical score and doesnt matter a whole lot.

sweet, i owned the SAT. Ha, sentence completions, brings back memories from SAT prep.

Is summer after freshman year (PreMed) too early to shadow a Doctor and what exactly do you do while shadowing. I am a FireFighter of 12 years and have been in and out of hospitals alot on the ambulances' and I like to watch the emergency proceedures so what should I expect while shadowing?

Will Hunting said:
sweet, i owned the SAT. Ha, sentence completions, brings back memories from SAT prep.
yeah i also did well on it and from the looks of it i think i will do well on gmat as well, gotta practice of course though. standardized tests are standardized tests, you own one you own them all for the most part. the gmat has a cool way of delivering questions, gre does this as well, it adjust the difficulty of the questions it gives you depending on how well you are doing. and your score is given accordingly, also its given immediately after you take the test. very futuristic, it makes the mcat look like a caveman test.

OneLove said:

I shadowed a doctor who I had previously shadowed for a day, as part of a scholarship I had applied for. Later, I was so impressed by the way he ran things, I made him my personal physician.

Will Hunting said:
summer school and volunteering.

same here except its volunteer research work.

BrettBatchelor said:
Mine was paid :smuggrin:
grrr, i'll get paid next summer but not for this fall.

BrettBatchelor said:
It's all about marketing your skill set, Will. You should know this from a business POV.

I don't have the opportunity. At my school they don't pay you until after sophomore year. Believe me, I'm all for anything that makes me money. Hence my poker addiction.

Will Hunting said:
Hence my poker addiction.
ah..that reminds me of a book that any premed would lambast, How to Be a Billionaire. its a good read, and it mentions that one commonality among the very wealthy is a passion for gambling, so youre on the right track! as for getting paid for summer research, one thing that ive thought of in retrospect is pursuing some kind of internship with a bigshot company like pfizer or genentech, although that may require some connections.

Shredder said:
ah..that reminds me of a book that any premed would lambast, How to Be a Billionaire. its a good read, and it mentions that one commonality among the very wealthy is a passion for gambling, so youre on the right track! as for getting paid for summer research, one thing that ive thought of in retrospect is pursuing some kind of internship with a bigshot company like pfizer or genentech, although that may require some connections.

sweet, I've always dreamed of becoming a billionaire and have actually devoted time to ideas that will get me there. There are a couple solid biotech companies around. I will try and do that, good call.

summer after my freshman year i was the only one out of my whole circle of friends who got a job...my resume was blank up to that point and i felt the need to start building it up
it was at a good company and paid well ($20/hr), but cause everyone else went home to hang out with their high school buddies, i was all alone in the middle of nowhere

american pie 2 came out that summer, and i remember wanting to watch it so badly that i went to the theater one night by myself to watch it...i sat there watching this movie about a group of guys who went to the lake in the summer after their freshman year (just like me for those of you who failed to draw the connection) and had the summer of a lifetime
it was supposed to be a comedy, but man it was the most depressing movie i'd ever seen

and now that i look back, every single one of my friends ended up doing fine in terms of job stuff later on despite not having done anything productive that summer...

Will Hunting said:
sweet, I've always dreamed of becoming a billionaire and have actually devoted time to ideas that will get me there. There are a couple solid biotech companies around. I will try and do that, good call.
yeah..when it comes to billions, my dreams have three letters--I P O. there must be a way to do for medicine what gates, jobs, and dell have done for computers, what the google guys did for the internet. we just have to find the right wave and catch it. a revolution, and then no premeds and docs can bitc- at us about how money is evil, bc everyone will be so much better off and we can get our just deserts. of course meds not the only way but i figure it would be expedient given our backgrounds

Shredder said:
yeah..when it comes to billions, my dreams have three letters--I P O. there must be a way to do for medicine what gates, jobs, and dell have done for computers, what the google guys did for the internet. we just have to find the right wave and catch it. a revolution, and then no premeds and docs can bitc- at us about how money is evil, bc everyone will be so much better off and we can get our just deserts. of course meds not the only way but i figure it would be expedient given our backgrounds

I agree. This thought has trouble me many times. Hoepefully we'll be able to change that. Either us or someone else.

I think I drank a combination of beer and soco.... I reccomend the same after freshman year.