Summer after freshman year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

b-real

What, me worry?
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm curious as to what types of activities you guys and gals did the summer after your freshman year? I have applied to an internship, but I think the interview went badly. :( I'm looking at taking a few non-science classes at a local college back home. I'd love to hear the things you guys did, though.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't experienced the summer after freshman year yet, but I will starting in another month or so.

I almost stayed on campus for the summer in order to do research in a cancer lab here, but the way my schedule worked out I had to take calculus this summer or be behind the game. So I'm going to take calculus at a community college at home and hopefully work in surgery at a hospital this summer. I've applied but haven't heard back from them yet. :)

hi b-real. I made the mistake of taking physics 1 in 4 weeks at undergrad. I say that because it was auto-tutorial meaning you taught youself then took the exams whenever you were ready (no lectures). I also did research in the cognitive science department at my school and worked with two professors. All of this was the summer of 96 - this upcoming summer will be my first FREE summer since I've always worked/studied! Good luck :) What kind of internship did you apply to? A medically-related one?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been a lifeguard for the past four summers. If you like kids and you like being outside you might want to consider it. It's a great job :)

I worked in a science department as a jack-of-all-trades and at an ice cream parlor. the latter was the funnest job I ever had. If you are into research or get a great internship, that's cool, but I think summer after freshman year you are totally justified in bumming around in a low-stress job!

i got in a car with two of my best friends and spent 2 months driving all over our lovely country. 11,000 miles were put on that 1986 cutlass supreme, and every one was done so with a smile. it was a caravan..9 friends in four cars. we had a blast. we stayed with friends or in hotels when we hit the cities, and spent a lot of time hiking and camping. i think i spent 1500 in two months.

you know it was a tough choice...spend all this time in a lab plating cells and running northerns..or hanging out in new orleans, austin, sedona, san diego, la, san francisco, berkeley, eugene, zion national park, grand canyon, boulder, etc.

moral of the story..please don't rule out having a good time. you can easily account for a cross country trip on your interviews. in fact, a couple interviewers were pretty interested in my 'journey'. now, go have some fun.

i did wet lab research.
i had fun enjoying san diego in all its summer beautiful glory and also learned a lot about 1. science, 2. myself, 3. what i want in my future.

i suggest spending the summer not taking a class, if you can at all help it and to take the opportunity to explore career fields that you might or might not be interested in.