Summer after M1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobBobby

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be doing research this summer (after my M1 year) but I'd also like to get in some review. The subjects I want to review are anatomy, physiology, and neuroanatomy mainly focusing on the key concepts. Is the best review for these three subjects the BRS books or First Aid?

Also, should I get a headstart on Pathology next year by listening to goljan this summer? If not, what should I do to prepare for next year, if anything?

Regarding Step 1 prep, should I get the UWorld questions this summer and maybe start going through them?

Thanks for answers to any or all of these questions :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be doing research this summer (after my M1 year) but I'd also like to get in some review. The subjects I want to review are anatomy, physiology, and neuroanatomy mainly focusing on the key concepts. Is the best review for these three subjects the BRS books or First Aid?

Also, should I get a headstart on Pathology next year by listening to goljan this summer? If not, what should I do to prepare for next year, if anything?

Regarding Step 1 prep, should I get the UWorld questions this summer and maybe start going through them?

Don't do any of those things.

Don't do any of those things.

This.

Relax, spend time with your family/friends/SO, go to the beach, travel, exercise, learn a new language, whatever.

The ONLY beneficial thing you can do during your first summer is research leading to a poster/pub. Further, it will most likely not be in the right field since almost everyone changes their field of choice in med school.

Members don't see this ad :)

Dude, enjoy your summer. Next summer, you're going to be dealing with Step 1 and starting rotations. The summer after that, you're going to be starting your fourth year and thinking about residency.

You do not need to study a damn thing during your last summer break in order to do well next year or on Step.

As someone who is spending the summer traveling around to visit family, this is reassuring. I was feeling a little bit like a slacker. I do plan on reviewing my Netter's flashcards and the parts of FA that we were taught last year, but in general my goal is to have fun, sleep, and run so much that I trick myself into thinking I love running again. Big goals :)

I'm 2.5 weeks from Step 1. Looking back on my summer the only thing i wish I had done was drink and party more. Maybe hit up the pool or something.

Nothing wrong with being a gunner! Most people will say that you should wait with UWorld as those questions are best to take during the study period right before Step 1. You can use First Aid and other materials and question banks like Kaplan who are not as Step 1 specific but more broad to help you get better.